PDA

View Full Version : CHop CHop SPin SPin Zalman go round round(mod the mod?)

bugmage
09-29-05, 11:07 AM
As i have it now, my poor amd 3400 hits 60* C at load, and the way the motherboards setup, the fins blow down right into the ram and a big row of capaciters, I want to mod the zalman by taking out that crossbar, turning it and then somehow wedging it between the fins so it holds and hopefully if that stays it will blow right out the side of case through mesh vent and out a pci blower on the otherside

what do you guys think? can it be done? Do you think it would solve my temp problem? system runs at 30*C
Maybe its as simple as getting longer screws, bending the fins, braking the bar off and tightening hehe I hope

zalman 7900(90mm) i think the model number is, cu flower with led fan

also doyou think i would be benificial to put covers on the finless sides so air is forces over fins?

also i have AS5 on cpu

and heres the motherboard to give u guys a better idea

http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=122&page=1

One more questioni have a 4000 rpm 80mm fan from another cpu heatsync, should i pull that and exchange it with the one on the zalman, i dont know the cfm but which would work better, the slightly larger but 2x as slow fan or the high power small one?

grey_1
09-30-05, 02:32 PM
Personally, I'd leave the zalman as is, check wire/cable managment, reapply as5 or ceramique/ some other hi-quality paste and then re check my temps. And if I'm not mistaken the zalmans are built to apply pretty exacting pressure to the cpu, I'd be carefull about modding it. But thats just me:)

bugmage
09-30-05, 03:09 PM
trust me the 120 mm fan blowen down and the wire sleves are all set, ive remounted it a few times with no luck, it cools super fast but slowly climbs to 60* so all i can figure is the heats building against the memory and capaciters, if i turn it the air will flow out of the case

grey_1
09-30-05, 05:24 PM
Just curious, what utility are you using to check your temps?

bugmage
09-30-05, 05:28 PM
im using foxconn(motherboard makers) software, i thought it might have been a faulty temp reading but prime 95 give me error as soon as i hit 60* so i think its right, the system runs at 18-28 with q and q on but when prime95en it jumps to 50 and slowly builds to 60 so its got to be the way the cpu fans faceing (theres a 120mm intake right above zalman blowind sideways so the zalman take air down, and the fan speed on its 2600 so thats normal

grey_1
09-30-05, 10:04 PM
Well, good luck with it, I'd go with a side panel intake over the cpu b4 trying that kind of mod...just seems strange to have temps high enough to cause probs if all installed properly. Sorry I couldn't help ya.

bugmage
10-01-05, 07:52 AM
yeah well mounted it 3 times cleaning between each time, and its a aspire cub e so there 120 mm fan blowing sideway over the top, i had ducting and that didnt help, and the side r off the case right now, I agree its always been running hot, dont know why

marqmajere
10-01-05, 10:28 AM
It's possible you just got a hot running proc. My friend bought a 2800+ Barton and his ran hot no matter what we did.

bugmage
10-01-05, 03:19 PM
maybe, do you think pulling the metal cpu caseing could help at all? i say some guy lower his temps 10* by doing so and if i have fan blowing down throught side i can cool cpu directly