PDA

View Full Version : FX-57 w/ 2 x eVGA GTX KO w/ACS3

Strahd
09-29-05, 01:23 PM
Would that CPU be a bottle neck for 2 7800's both running 490/1300?

Since I'm very new to SLI, since you have a choice of 4 DVI connectors, does it matter which connector you use to plug in your monitor?

|MaguS|
09-29-05, 01:26 PM
At low resolutions and no AA/AF then yes but you can easily pump up the resolution and enable AA/AF to tax the GPUs more. Also the newer the title the harder it will be on the setup, FEAR will put a strain on your system and even BF2 at high settings aswell.

OWA
09-29-05, 01:40 PM
You're supposed to use one of the connectors on the primary card (the one in the first PCIe slot).

Strahd
09-29-05, 01:54 PM
Thanks Mag and Owa! Now since my monitor will only do 1280x1024 (until I save for a new one) With that being said, if I put my resolution at 1280x1024 and make it always do high quality with max aa and af, this would be cool?

|MaguS|
09-29-05, 01:58 PM
Well not max AA/AF unless your playing an older title since a game like BF2 or FEAR would still bring down your system at the highest possible settings.

Strahd
09-29-05, 02:13 PM
Ok that's cool. I may keep my current monitor for a while longer and not worry so much of upgrading it. Since I can't use my 2nd card yet because I don't have a bracket to connect the two cards together, can someone tell me if this link will work?

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=206-BR-AL10-01

|MaguS|
09-29-05, 02:21 PM
That will work but why dont you have one?

Ninjaman09
09-29-05, 02:34 PM
Ok that's cool. I may keep my current monitor for a while longer and not worry so much of upgrading it. Since I can't use my 2nd card yet because I don't have a bracket to connect the two cards together, can someone tell me if this link will work?

The bracket for SLI comes with the motherboards. I know you got one with your A8N-SLI Premium. It is a different size because the PCI-E slots are further apart than normal.

By the way, keep your current monitor until the Samsung 214T comes out. 21.3" 1600x1200 8ms 900:1 contrast and 250/cd brightness. And it's a PVA panel so you get great viewing angles and color. :D

Strahd
09-29-05, 02:40 PM
That will work but why dont you have one?

Because I'm a SLI noob and didn't know it came with the MB? :)

Now I have to dig out my MB box and see if it's actually in there hehe

Dr.Nick
09-29-05, 02:43 PM

You dont need that to use SLI

Strahd
09-30-05, 11:13 AM
You dont need that to use SLI

I don't? I thought you had to have that connector to link the two cards together?

I did find the one that came with my motherboard but if that eVGA one will work then I might get that one, for only 30 bucks it does look alot cooler then my ASUS one :thumbsup:

I assume that the only difference between the two is how they look right? I mean they both do the same job?

ViN86
09-30-05, 11:39 AM
yea they both do the same job. also, i think you can run it without the bracket, but supposedly the bracket gives a slight performace increase (can someone confirm this?)

when i go SLI, im goin to use the bracket ;)

Strahd
09-30-05, 11:42 AM
That's cool. I'm gonna connect the other video card and use the bracket that came with my motherboard. Then when my cool looking eVGA one comes in, I'll swap them out :D

Dr.Nick
09-30-05, 11:46 AM
Is that an SLI "Bridge" of just a bracket? To me it looks like a piece of metal you use to hold the cards in place. If it is a bridge they should rename it but I doubt it is

Strahd
09-30-05, 11:52 AM
Is that an SLI "Bridge" of just a bracket? To me it looks like a piece of metal you use to hold the cards in place. If it is a bridge they should rename it but I doubt it is

LOL! That is interesting actually. If it wasn't useful in helping SLI operate, then why have gold connectors (to indicate some time of electrical connection) on the video card where the bracket connects? I think when that eVGA bracket comes in, I'm going to break the one that came with my MB just to see if there is a connection between the two or it really is just a piece of metal with connectors on each end.

If it does end up only being a piece of metal, then it won't be the first time I wasted 30 bucks :D

Auswak
10-01-05, 01:33 AM

This is the EVGA SLI Twin Turbo Bracket

It was released some time ago, and only fits the 6800 Ultra on certain motherboards. It is not a bridge or anything electrical at all. It is intended to help keep your cards perfectly aligned and add something nice to look at.

:)