PDA

View Full Version : Strange indeed, monitor trouble

Fackamato
09-29-05, 04:44 PM
I've a 6800gt, 77.77 driver. Ever since I unplugged the computer from my projector (I ran it in twinview at the time, now running single screen) the computer thinks my monitor is monitor 2. Look at the picture:

http://www.tehjunkyard.net/nvidia.JPG

(nevermind the text, you can see what I'm talking about)

Why is this? I've with no success tried everything possible... It's connected to the VGA port. I have the same issue in Linux, if I start X, the screen goes blank like it gets no signal. But if I control+alt+f1 (tty0) to get to the terminal, the screen gets a signal and I can see the terminal. If I plug the monitor to the DVI output, I get the X screen. This is extremely irritating. I have tried different drivers without results. Unplugged the card, left the computer totally off with no monitor plugged in for some minutes, then installed the card, plugged in the monitor (the only thing connected to the card is the monitor on the VGA port, not even a DVI>VGA-adapter is used on the DVI port), and windows still recognizes the monitor as monitor 2. This causes all sorts of problems, for example, when playing Battlefield 2, sometimes the screen just goes blank upon startup (no signal). But mostly it works fine. I then have to (blindly) kill the game, windows+r to get the run dialog, type cmd and press alt+enter to get a fullscreen DOS terminal (which I don't get), type exit, and I'm back in windows again. What the *beep* is this all about? Another thing, unless my DVI port is broken, something else is, because I get a pink picture on the DVI>VGA port (tried different DVI>VGA adapters too), it's like the blue signal is missing (but not entirely).

Any ideas at all?

OWA
09-29-05, 06:24 PM
Can't you just right-click the monitor and choose the primary display option?

Edit: Also, try deleting all the displays listed under Monitors in the device manager. Then reboot. Maybe having to redetect the display will fix it.

Fackamato
09-30-05, 01:06 PM
Can't you just right-click the monitor and choose the primary display option?

No. :-/

Edit: Also, try deleting all the displays listed under Monitors in the device manager. Then reboot. Maybe having to redetect the display will fix it.

Hm, never thought of that, will try it. But it's strange that this problem also exists in Linux. :-/

OWA
09-30-05, 01:29 PM
No. :-/

Hm, never thought of that, will try it. But it's strange that this problem also exists in Linux. :-/
Yeah, since that's the case I doubt that will help.

TierMann
09-30-05, 02:03 PM
I get the same problem sometimes in any driver version I've used if I have only one monitor connected on boot. I can usually fix it by booting the computer with no monitors connected then powering it off and connecting a monitor and booting again. It just seems like it wants to call the DVI connection Display 1 but can be tricked.

I havn't had that happen in linux though as it always used my xorg.conf just as I configured it. Console windows as well show up correctly on boot. The second monitor is just a cloned display with no splash until X starts.

Fackamato
10-01-05, 10:33 AM
I tried deleting the 4 (four!) monitors that were present, one plug and play and three "standard" monitors. Rebooted, and it found four monitors again. :/

Only showed one graphics card installed though (which is right).