PDA

View Full Version : AGP Aperture for pci express?

Eliminator
09-29-05, 11:09 PM
so is there a similar function to agp aperture for 7800gt pci express?.... i remember i had to set agp aperture to 512mb with my 128mb 6800gt in order to play battlefield 2 smoothly... so how can people play with high details if theres no pci express aperture deal and only 256mb of video ram?

Peoples-Agent
09-29-05, 11:49 PM
Quite simply put, you can't !

It has been discovered though the reasoning is, BF2 uses around about 230MB of video memory in High resolution mode. I'm gonna have to plug XG drivers to you again, because the new ones have fixed that "stutter" for me that I was getting in High Res mode.

|MaguS|
09-30-05, 06:23 AM
There is no AGP Aperture with PCI Express since there is no AGP. You can easily play in High Detail by setting it, who ever said you were limited to the amount of video ram you have?

rewt
09-30-05, 06:30 AM
There is no AGP Aperture with PCI Express since there is no AGP. You can easily play in High Detail by setting it, who ever said you were limited to the amount of video ram you have?

What do you mean? There is a PCI Express Aperture size?

fuelrod
09-30-05, 11:33 AM
I posted a similar question here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55719

Never really got a good answer.

|MaguS|
09-30-05, 11:47 AM
AGP Aperture doesn't do anything really with modern PCs, theres almost no (if any) performance benefit to it. If you set it to 64 or 256, performance would be the same.

Software today dictates how the game/software uses system ram when video ram is full. Sometimes its buggy and doesn't use any system ram causing alot of draw issues, other times it uses too much and causes stuttering (BF2 in this case).

As for PCI Express, not theres no Aperture size.

Eliminator
09-30-05, 12:54 PM
AGP Aperture doesn't do anything really with modern PCs, theres almost no (if any) performance benefit to it. If you set it to 64 or 256, performance would be the same.

Software today dictates how the game/software uses system ram when video ram is full. Sometimes its buggy and doesn't use any system ram causing alot of draw issues, other times it uses too much and causes stuttering (BF2 in this case).

As for PCI Express, not theres no Aperture size.
uh it made a difference for me...... if i use 256mb in bf2 with high details sometimes the game would freeze for a second to load during the level... with 512mb aperture the problem went away and i have 2gb of ram

|MaguS|
09-30-05, 02:54 PM
It's the 2GB of ram, not the AGP Aperture. Why do you think PCI Express systems don't need it and still get stutter but get solved with 2GB of ram.

Eliminator
09-30-05, 03:23 PM
but with 256mb aperture and 2gb of i did have the stutter.... anyway i hope you're right man cause ill be going pcix soon

ViN86
09-30-05, 05:07 PM
i thought there was an aperture for PCIe. maybe i was mistaken, but i could have sworn i saw something that indicated some memory set aside for graphics in one of those programs, everest or sisandra.

maybe its not an aperture persay, but a scalable chunk of memory that changes based on how much you are using. i mean, the bandwidth is there, so im sure its possible.

Hyper s
10-01-05, 11:00 AM
There is the same tecnology(AGP let you use system memory for reading textures) in PCI-E called Hyper memory(it also let you to write data to system memory)
But if your card does not support it ,it will be work like PCI card just much faster.