PDA

View Full Version : OMFG S>.... 7800gt

adpr 02
09-30-05, 02:41 AM
OK. So I get my new pc... amd 64 3200, 2gb ocz 3200 platinum, asus a8n-e, antec sonata, etc.

I decide to OC. As a matter of fact, as soon as I install my x64 windows that's the first thing I do. I OC my videocard to 480/1200 and then proceed to OC the processor.

I then proceed to find out that my VENICE 3200+ (Famed to OC 40% EASILY) does not seem to be stable EVEN at stock speeds in Battlefield. So i start worrying a little bit. A lot actually. I run EVERY possible troubleshoot. I finally decide to downclock my videocard, and the problems I have been experiencing SEEM to have went away. How come?

What I had was: I was playing a game, and suddenly the screen got all corrupted, and pc froze completely. I am Really good when it comes to videocards. I volt-modded, modded cooling, I can tell you the clock speed of any card while I am sleeping. This is the first time I use a PCI-e card. I assumed that if I oc too much, all I get is artefacts (like until now), not a complete meltdown. So are PCI -e cards different in this way?

Now here's where you come in. I am wondering: Is my analysis correct? WAS it the videocard? Do I need to Overclock the PCI-e slot to be able to OC the 7800gt?

Thank you verry much. I would appreciate a quick reply.

jAkUp
09-30-05, 03:36 AM
Its actually completely possible to get system freezes from an OC'd video card... by pushing it too far. Its happened to me plenty of times.. heh.

As far as the PCIe slot, no, you don't need to touch that at all.

Omega53
09-30-05, 03:39 AM
PSU maybe??? What are your card temps?

retsam
09-30-05, 04:33 AM
just make sure your cooler is sitting on the card properly ...my 9800 had that problem when i tried to oc it everything went corrupt.... also make sure you have proper case cooling .... that can help alot.... :)

TierMann
09-30-05, 05:06 AM
Depending on what brand it is, does anyone think it might be a problem with a delta for the geometric clock? If it's something like 40mhz then it's really running 520/1200. Was it XFX that had that and then took it out in a bios update?

What brand is your 7800GT?

Edit:
Here we go. It was eVGA. People were flashing with XFX for testing because they didn't have the delta. I'm not suggesting to flash though, just ideas to troubleshoot on why that OC isn't working for you. 3 clocks is pretty new.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56824

scott123
09-30-05, 08:06 AM
OK. So I get my new pc... amd 64 3200, 2gb ocz 3200 platinum, asus a8n-e, antec sonata, etc.

I decide to OC. As a matter of fact, as soon as I install my x64 windows that's the first thing I do. I OC my videocard to 480/1200 and then proceed to OC the processor.

I then proceed to find out that my VENICE 3200+ (Famed to OC 40% EASILY) does not seem to be stable EVEN at stock speeds in Battlefield. So i start worrying a little bit. A lot actually. I run EVERY possible troubleshoot. I finally decide to downclock my videocard, and the problems I have been experiencing SEEM to have went away. How come?

What I had was: I was playing a game, and suddenly the screen got all corrupted, and pc froze completely. I am Really good when it comes to videocards. I volt-modded, modded cooling, I can tell you the clock speed of any card while I am sleeping. This is the first time I use a PCI-e card. I assumed that if I oc too much, all I get is artefacts (like until now), not a complete meltdown. So are PCI -e cards different in this way?

Now here's where you come in. I am wondering: Is my analysis correct? WAS it the videocard? Do I need to Overclock the PCI-e slot to be able to OC the 7800gt?

Thank you verry much. I would appreciate a quick reply.

Yes its your video card. I just put together a new rig for my neighbor using a XFS 7800 GTX, and from day one, this corrupted screen thing would happen in BF2. As time went on, it got worse, then one day he was running BF2 and the screen went black. I came over and did some testing, and the card was DOA. Ended up doing an RMA and my neighbor is back in business with a non-defective card.

adpr 02
09-30-05, 08:43 AM
yes! OH GOD YES. my system is stable..... Anyway. It has NEVER happened to me that a card vroze just 'cause I OC'd too much. Stupid delta clock thingamajiggies.

TierMann
09-30-05, 03:11 PM
yes! OH GOD YES. my system is stable..... Anyway. It has NEVER happened to me that a card vroze just 'cause I OC'd too much. Stupid delta clock thingamajiggies.

My 6800GT will do the same thing, so it's not a freak occurance. What did you end up doing, by the way?

adpr 02
09-30-05, 08:56 PM
I downclocked it.

Ady
09-30-05, 10:08 PM
You should always start out at stock speeds and then work your way up. Everything OC's differently, you can't really just expect a certain level of OC and just jump straight to it.