PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!!! Glitches

Octávio Pinto
09-30-05, 06:41 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum so please be easy on me :)

I have a P4 3Ghz pc, 1gb ram (standard stuff), 450w power supply and a XFX Geforce 6880 Ultra 256 mb DDR3. For a year everything ran fine. Games like Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Painkiller, etc.

Suddenly, games began to show black and white gliches, more visible on the player's weapons (I love fps :D ), but appearing all over the screen. I have never overclocked my gpu, nor have I overclocked my processor. The glitches appeared in games such as Doom3, Battlefield 2, GTA San Andreas, etc. By the way, the glitches appeared immediately. I began playing, and there they were.

Last week, I bought a Thermaltake Shark Silver case, and I cleaned my computer (dust everywhere :thumbdwn: ). By the way, my previous pc case was a plain case. After that, the problems seamed to dissapear. Wrong!! The glitches returned, only this way they appear after 20, 30 minutes of playing. By the way, I always play with AA/AF turned on and on high resolutions.

What's happening???? According to nVidia monitoring, the 6800 ultra idles at 55C. Under load it reaches 65/66C (before cleaning the pc and buying the new case, under load it reached 75C). Are the temperatures affecting my performance? Along with the glitches comes a sudden slowing of the games, with fps dropping considerably. Should I buy a new fan for the gpu?

Help!!!Please!!!!

rewt
09-30-05, 06:43 AM
What are you using to record the temps under load?

Octávio Pinto
09-30-05, 06:49 AM
I'm using the software provided by XFX (can't recall the name, I'm in my work place :) ). It's located on the display settings of my pcd (I believe is the standard software from nVidia...)

Is there better software around?

rewt
09-30-05, 06:51 AM
Download and install RivaTuner from guru3d.com and use the hardware monitor. It'll give you a more accurate reading of the maximum load temperatures.

From what you have explained it really sounds like a temperature issue. Perhaps try playing some games for awhile with your case opened. Even better use a large box fan to blow cooler air inside the case.

Octávio Pinto
09-30-05, 06:52 AM
Thanks, I'll do that.

By the way, the Shark case has 2 12 inch fans

rewt
09-30-05, 06:56 AM
When the RAM on the video card gets too hot random glitches will start to appear on the screen. When the GPU on the card gets too hot glitches can appear, but it is more likely to freeze up or cause slow-downs.

Octávio Pinto
09-30-05, 07:25 AM
12 cm fans, sorry :D

Octávio Pinto
09-30-05, 07:27 AM
Assuming that excessive heating of the ram is causing the glitches, what can I do? What's the best cooling method?

One more time, thanks in advance :)

Strahd
09-30-05, 11:06 AM
Well I think it could be your PSU also. Your PSU may not be able to sustain the power/voltage anymore.

You might try taking the side of your case off and have a fan blow into the case and see if it still does it.

If you use Rivatuner and it reports your temperatures at acceptable levels, I would look at your PSU.

Octávio Pinto
09-30-05, 11:17 AM
A 480+ psu should do the trick, right? Maybe antec or thermaltake?

I'm just waiting for my bloody workday to be over to run home and solve this problem once and for all :D .

Strahd
09-30-05, 11:33 AM
A 480+ psu should do the trick, right? Maybe antec or thermaltake?

I'm just waiting for my bloody workday to be over to run home and solve this problem once and for all :D .

Before I give you my opinion, I need to know your system specs :D

Octávio Pinto
09-30-05, 03:04 PM
Well, I have a P4 3Ghz HT, Asus motherboard, 450 w power supply (nothing special), 1 gb ram (nothing special) and a XFX 6800 Ultra@425/1200.

I used the Riva Tuner hardware monitor, and the glitches appeared in far cry when the gpu core temps reaches approximately 70ºc.

Ady
10-03-05, 09:43 AM
Have you tried underclocking it to see if that fixes the problem?