PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista build 5219 impressions

myshkinbob
09-30-05, 11:11 AM
I've just tried out the latest version of vista and i'm really quite impressed. It's a bit buggy, and lags a lot at times, but there is some really neat stuff here.

First version of longhorn/vista i've tried out btw. It's the build from PDC, with all the new UI rendering stuff that was being shown off in those videos.

Anyway a screenshot will explain why i'm so impressed.

http://www.vapulus.com/rthdribl.jpg

I heard a lot of stuff about vista's rendering engine limiting windowed 3d apps, so i loaded up rthdribl to test it. But first off the glass theme, when you use LDDM drivers, is amazing. No real cpu usage even dragging windows around like crazy, and it looks great. It can handle several layers of windows too.

But back to the screenshot. Notice the fps, that's the same framerate for rthdribl as i get in windows XP, no windowed 3D performance penalty at all. But this is where i got seriously impressed, the glass-effect explorer window border that's overlapping the rthdribl window can composite over the Direct3D render with no lag at all, no performance loss, just like someone put a smear of grease on the monitor over rthdribl. You see where the two white spheres are blurred, that's what i mean, and it's all seamless.

What really blew me away though, is one of the talked about features of this 5219 build, in conjunction with the rthdribl test. This build shows a thumbnail above each window on the taskbar when you mouseover it. Pretty cool huh. Except, it's not a thumbnail, and you can't tell from a screenshot, but that image above the taskbar for rthdribl was updating at 80fps along with the main window, perfectly fluid.

It's something i've never seen done on a desktop pc before. And it's great news for gamers, keep an eye on your game screen in realtime next time you alt-tab out for a moment. I think gaming and 3D rendering in general are really going to benefit from this new compositing engine. Goodbye GDI. :)

Aside from the graphical and technical impressiveness though. A few negatives, especially for nvidia users. First off, minor gripe maybe, but i use my tv-out most days. The LDDM drivers have absolutely no nvidia control panel at all, so no clone mode, or overclocking options, or colour correction, or fullscreen video display options, etc etc. There are audio drivers for vista, but they refuse to work for my realtek alc850. The network drivers will install after some effort. Ditto for basic IDE. But there are no nvraid drivers at all, and all my apps/games/music reside on a big array i simply can't access. You might think that's expecting too much, but using dmraid i can access this nvraid from my debian desktop, when linux has no official nvraid drivers at all, and debian is the most out of date and slow to change operating system known to man, almost. So i kinda expected to have less of a problem from the very newest OS from microsoft.

Similarly, something is broken in the CIFS code for 5219 at least, so i had to change my network drive security level before i could access it from vista (vista mangles the login credentials somehow, xp has no problem with the same server, it's now set for guest access tho just so i could get at my music backup).

IE7 is ok, ish. I'm a long time opera user, so i'll take some convincing. The tabs are very welcome though, finally. The pop-up blocker is still fairly useless though, same as IE6.

The new media-centre function, at least in conjunction with the LDDM drivers, results in a permanent loop of your monitor switching on and off as windows appears to reset your display mode once a second.

Oh and last little moan, the installer takes about an hour and a half, and it will fail if the drive you install on has an active partition before the partition you install vista onto. So if you're going to do a resize to make space to test out vista, make the free space in front of your main system partition on the disk.

Default install commit charge on login is about 500MB btw, but this is a beta full of debug built files, i expect.

Considering it's not even beta2 yet though, and drivers are going to be thin on the ground for now, i really like what i've seen so far. It's definitely the biggest leap, at least in rendering terms, that windows has ever made. If anyone from nvidia lurks on the forums, i hope you can get out some nvraid drivers and nvcpl compatible lddm display ones too, thanks. :)

Zelda_fan
09-30-05, 01:16 PM
wow that is impressive. I'm holding off on an upgrade to my PC so it will work perfectly with Vista.

superklye
09-30-05, 02:28 PM
That looks spectacular. I really can't wait for this OS to finally come out.

Redeemed
10-20-05, 01:26 AM
Same here. I've been saving up for some time to get an uber-high-end rig. By the time Vista is finally out, I JUST might have enough cash to build my "dream rig". ;)

retsam
10-20-05, 09:45 AM
That looks spectacular. I really can't wait for this OS to finally come out.i can ....its a resource hog...the minimun system requirements are crazy....http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/09/07/vista_hardware_reqs/

i jsut dont get it ...why can the linux world make awesome stable builds with low system overhead... and m$ ....well ...the requirments say it all...

rewt
10-22-05, 06:39 PM
Yeah I agree, Vista has some really nice features. But its still got a (very) long way to go.. As soon as I installed a couple programs it was completely useless and crashed every time I executed a win32 app. And like retsam says it is very horrific resource hog. Someone with 1GB ram would barely be able to boot it up..

retsam
10-22-05, 11:27 PM
it think the problem also has to do with needing those damn new hdd's with the insane cache sizes.....from what ive seen no one has those drives yet...