PDA

View Full Version : Multiple video cards in same system

BrainWorks
12-30-02, 07:20 AM
Does NV GF4 440MX Support mUltiple Video card installed?
Mine have a TV-Out, but I'm thinking of putting my old NV TNT PCI for a second monitor. My WinXP detected the NV TNT but cannot enable it, I changed to S3 Virge, but it stil the same. Any ideas?

lagadu
12-30-02, 10:11 PM
have you tried some other software to manage the multiple cards? i never had multiple before, but i heard good things about a software called ultramon...

ricercar
01-04-03, 04:16 AM
Does NV GF4 440MX Support mUltiple Video card installed?

It should. My PCI NV11/GeForce2 MX card (eVGA model "NV60") plays well with other NVIDIA AGP cards I've paired it with under WinXP:
- NV11 reference board
- MSI K7N420 nForce1
- NV15 reference card
- NV28 reference card
- NV30 reference card

While I haven't tested a NV17/GF4 MX, yet, I'll be getting an eVGA model "NV72" GeForce4 MX card to play with in the next few days and will report back when I know for sure.

BrainWorks
01-05-03, 04:03 AM
I manage to solved the problem.. but there is something I don't understand.. I can only make the 2nd graphic card work in XP if I boot with A PCI VGA card 1st instead of the AGP. But by booting the PCI, when it comes to Windows, Windows automatically change the Main monitor To the AGP VGA card. So it will display the computer configuration in PCI, and then Windows login in the AGP. If I boot in AGP the PCI VGA will not work... any ideas?

vvolkman
01-06-03, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by BrainWorks
I manage to solved the problem.. but there is something I don't understand.. I can only make the 2nd graphic card work in XP if I boot with A PCI VGA card 1st instead of the AGP. But by booting the PCI, when it comes to Windows, Windows automatically change the Main monitor To the AGP VGA card. So it will display the computer configuration in PCI, and then Windows login in the AGP. If I boot in AGP the PCI VGA will not work... any ideas?

Since XP only has one video driver loaded at a time, I believe the consensus is that your AGP and PCI cards will have to be able to use the same driver or one will be disabled. You could have an NV PCI card and an NV AGP card but a PCI and an AGP by different vendors seems doomed to failure. You could call it a "flaw" in the NT architecture, but it wasn't a design requirement to be able to run a NV and a S3 or a ATI and a Wildcat! etc.

NVIEW seems to usurp most of Ultramon's features. In any event, Ultramon can't help you until you beat the hurdle of XP disabling the other card. At $40 Ultramon costs more than a replacement PCI card (almost anyway).