PDA

View Full Version : HL2 w/ SLI: known issues?

DoomUK
10-01-05, 09:08 AM
OK, I realise that the archetypical "HL2 video/audio stuttering" topic has been done to death, but do hear me out:-

With my SLI setup, I get a lot of *video* stuttering in HL2. Even if I disable the slave card (via Forceware, haven't tried disabling in BIOS yet), I still get the same problem. Using the same drivers (78.01, and also tried using 77.77 and 78.05 BETA btw), with a single GTX configuration there is no stuttering whatsoever. I've tried enabling both AFR and SFR, same story. I've set up various commands in a autoexec.cfg, they've always prevented any video and/or audio stuttering in the past for me, but not since I went SLI:-

mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware "1"

cl_forcepreload "1"

sv_forcepreload "1"

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be most gratefull.

Thanks.

Stryker1
10-01-05, 11:26 AM
I wish I had some answers for you. I got stuttering sometimes with my old rig and even with my new one. HL2 sound seems to be the problem. The game runs great on my SLI rig.

DoomUK
10-07-05, 06:33 PM
Sorry all, but I have to Bump. Surely someone here has a similar problem and maybe a workaround for this...

OWA
10-07-05, 06:40 PM
For me, it comes and goes depending on their updates. Some updates fix it, some updates break it. It has been fixed and broken 3 or 4 times now (spanning this computer setup and my 2nd system setup -- alternating between an X800 Pro and 6800U).

DoomUK
10-07-05, 07:06 PM
For me, it comes and goes depending on their updates. Some updates fix it, some updates break it.

Absolutely, although I'd hoped that Valve would have fixed these issues by now (11 months after the game was released, mind). I suppose that's waht I'll have to go with for now, yet another dodgy Steam update :mad:...

OWA
10-07-05, 07:29 PM
It was working for me until the recent HDR update but since then the stuttering has been back. There was a small update recently but apparently it didn't help. I just tried it to make sure but it was still there. The next time it's fixed I think I'm going to try to block steam from updating anymore.

namelessone
10-07-05, 07:41 PM
l was playing HL2 last nite it was runing sweet , sorry l have not had any problems , but Steam is no longer on my tool bar is that new ???