PDA

View Full Version : Analyst: Xbox 360 leads console wars through 2008

Ruined
10-02-05, 09:20 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/29/news_6134710.html

"Analyst: Xbox 360 leads console wars through 2008

Piper Jaffray predicts hard-drive-equipped PSP in mid-2006, healthy growth for gaming industry through 2011.

In their latest gaming industry overview for investors, Piper Jaffray analysts Anthony Gikas and Stephanie Wissink are projecting continued growth for the industry, a new hard-drive-equipped PSP next year, Microsoft's Xbox 360 jumping out to an early lead in the console wars, and a less-than-revolutionary showing for the Revolution.

Starting with the home hardware, Gikas and Wissink released their sales projections for each system over the next three years. Through 2008, Gikas and Wissink expect Microsoft to sell 19.6 million Xbox 360 units, with the PlayStation 3 and Revolution trailing at 15.5 million and 5 million units, respectively. The estimates for both Sony and Nintendo's consoles are based on late 2006 releases for the systems. But while the PS3 is expected to accelerate quickly and lead all systems with 8.5 million units sold in 2008, the ambitious Revolution is listed as starting slow (500,000 units sold in 2006), and lagging behind its competition with 2 million and 3 million systems moved in 2007 and 2008, respectively.

Gikas and Wissink forecast a modest net increase in console sales, partly due to market cannibalization as the handheld sector catches fire. The analysts are projecting a 45 percent increase in handheld hardware sales for the next cycle (which runs through 2011). The combined Game Boy line (including the DS) is projected to have a banner 2005 with a whopping 7.5 million units sold compared to the PSP's projected 3.8 million, but the next three years will see Sony and Nintendo running neck and neck in the handheld business. Gikas and Wissink have the PSP and Game Boy lines both posting annual sales for 2006, 2007, and 2008 of 5.5 million, 5 million, and 6 million. One of the most interesting aspects of the pair's handheld projections is that the report mentions they're expecting Sony "to launch the next generation of its PSP (including an audio/video hard-drive) in mid-2006."

Software sales are likewise expected to jump significantly, with a projected 43 percent increase by 2008. In addition, Gikas and Wissink are expecting that new revenue streams like in-game advertising and online downloads will grow 500 percent, from under a quarter-billion in 2005 to $1.36 billion in 2008. They cautioned against short-term investing in publishers because of market volatility over the next 12 months, but reiterated their Outperform rating on major publishers like Electronic Arts, Activision, THQ, and Take-Two Interactive."

Surprising that the analysts are going this way.

Knot3D
10-02-05, 09:54 AM
Hurray for fortune tellers ! :rolleyes:

toxikneedle
10-02-05, 09:57 AM
It could be true unless PS3 can maintain all those PS exclusive games it had on PS2, GTA, GT series, Socom, MGS, etc. But I aggree that the 360 will outsell them, at least in the begining.

Mr. Hunt
10-02-05, 10:25 AM
I trust these analysts about as much as I trust my weatherman...

S.I.N
10-02-05, 10:32 AM
I trust these analysts about as much as I trust my weatherman...

Wow thats alot of trust.:eek:

slick
10-02-05, 10:35 AM
It could be true unless PS3 can maintain all those PS exclusive games it had on PS2, GTA, GT series, Socom, MGS, etc. But I aggree that the 360 will outsell them, at least in the begining.

GTA won't be exclusive anymore. Rockstar has already announced that they will be multi-platforming this gen. All of the others are (besides MGS) are unannounced as of yet, but I would assume that they stay exclusive.

Sazar
10-02-05, 11:01 AM
Without rumours, my day would never pass :cool:

Speaking of Rumours, Lindsay Lohan looks HAWT :drooling:

Mr_LoL
10-02-05, 12:10 PM
Grand Turismo for the xbox? Never. I am planning on getting a ps3 just for that game. I mean have you seen the trailers. :drooling:

Mr. Hunt
10-02-05, 12:12 PM
Wow thats alot of trust.:eek:

Err... I don't trust weathermen at all... they never know wth is coming and I get tired of it... for about a month they kept saying we would have rain... and it never came... they would say a high of 92... it would be 102... I just get tired of their BS... wish I could be a weatherman and just GUESS what is going to happen :\.

Nv40
10-02-05, 02:45 PM
Wow! Sony screwed big time this generation with the PS3. THose Analyst should have said their predictions before and not now.. that the Xbox360 is so much ahead leading in sales and AAA games.. Sony should just quit and forget about the console market . Who will have guessed that there will be a time in history when analyst will know the future all the way to 2008 , in something as dynamic as the entertainment and technology industry. They could be rich and save thousands of lives predicting the wheather and nature disasters. :)

Vagrant Zero
10-02-05, 02:45 PM
Yes people let's take the word of a non-gamer on the gaming situation.

What next, we'll be taking law advice from the mailman?

Raje
10-02-05, 04:41 PM

Everyone I know thinks the Xbox360 is some kind of God or something.

Parents seem to think I must have one because it's all they know. Everyone wants to think they are in the "know" about technology. I think that might really be why all these people latch onto the Xbox360 - it's all they know. They know some catch phrases about the Xbox360 -- like Tri-core and 3.2Ghz, Ghz MAN! "You don't even know what a Ghz is or how it effects a CPU." "CPU? .... Yeah, but Ghz! GHZ! Tri-Core!"

Not saying that the Sony's marketing is any better, but the number of people I know who were suckered in with the Xbox360 MTV stuff is ridiculous. I can't go 5 minutes during the week without having someone tell me how much the Xbox360 will pwnz PS3 and how Sony sucks.

Also, this unified stuff is going to kill me. "You do know that PS3 doesn't even have a unified graphics processor, right?! HA HA!"

Microsoft's and Sony's Tiger Style Marketing is strong, but my Dragon Style BS detector shall prevail! :bs: :nutkick:

Now... that being said... The Xbox360 and the PS3 will find places somewhere in my living room :angel:

Bad_Boy
10-02-05, 04:51 PM
thread of the week :D

j0j081
10-02-05, 10:50 PM
I agree with Raje that MTV bit was hilarious! sad though people bought into it.

evilchris
10-03-05, 12:44 PM
Parents seem to think I must have one because it's all they know. Everyone wants to think they are in the "know" about technology. I think that might really be why all these people latch onto the Xbox360 - it's all they know. They know some catch phrases about the Xbox360 -- like Tri-core and 3.2Ghz, Ghz MAN! "You don't even know what a Ghz is or how it effects a CPU." "CPU? .... Yeah, but Ghz! GHZ! Tri-Core!"

What about:

"tEH CElL tEH CeLL!!! reAL eMOTtIONss out of YouR COmpuTAr MAchines!!!