PDA

View Full Version : I hate to make another thread about SLi...

superklye
10-02-05, 12:32 PM
But here it is. This morning is my first full day with an SLi system (specs in my signature). The Gigabyte board has a chip that needs to be physically removed, spun 180 degrees and then popped back into place, and it's between the two cards. Anyone who's ever had to unplug EVERYTHING on the back of their machine knows that after doing it once every three months, it just gets annoying as hell...I haven't switched out of SLi yet since I only have one DVI to VGA converter and two VGA monitors, but when I get a second adapter, I'm going to want to use my other monitor.

Anyway... if I leave the chip in SLi mode and just disable SLi in the drivers, I still will only be able to use one monitor, right? I'll have to actually switch the chip in order to have both monitors on at the same time, correct?

jAkUp
10-02-05, 10:24 PM
SLI doesn't yet support dual monitors... if you want dual monitors you have to disable SLI. You still leave the goldfinger in the SLI position though.

superklye
10-03-05, 03:15 AM
So if the chip is in SLi mode, but I turn off SLi in the drivers, I can have two monitors?

Muppet
10-03-05, 03:24 AM
So if the chip is in SLi mode, but I turn off SLi in the drivers, I can have two monitors?
Yea that's the one, and the same goes for video in if your cards support it.At least with some of the new drivers you don't have to reboot to enable or disable SLI.

superklye
10-03-05, 03:45 AM
That is awesome! I'll have to have my dad drop off the second DVI > VGA adapter on Tuesday morning to test it out. I need two monitors, damn it!

superklye
10-04-05, 12:26 PM
I was just thinking about this…why do they even have to have the “goldfinger” or whatever for SLI and non-SLI mode if you can use multiple monitors when the mobo is set for SLI but the drivers are not. What is the point of non-SLI mode on the mobo—or is that expressly for people with only one graphics card?

Ninjaman09
10-04-05, 02:14 PM
What is the point of non-SLI mode on the mobo—or is that expressly for people with only one graphics card?
Answered your own question. :D

Also for people with SLI who want to disable it for whatever reason. Lucky for me on my board it's all done in the BIOS.

H-street
10-04-05, 02:30 PM
the SLI selector's purpose is to change the PCIe Configuration from

1X x 16X to 8X x 8X

so with it in the single position the primary SLI slot has the 16X Bandwidth and the secondary only at 1X..

with it in SLI configuration it now splits the 16X bandwidth between the 2 of them equally..

i believe there where some moboards (maybe NF5?) that will have dual 16X PEG slots..

superklye
10-04-05, 03:28 PM
Aye, okay. I just wanted to make sure on that. I thought it made no sense that in order to use multiple monitors, one would have to flip that chip. Sweet. Now, I just need to get that second DVI > VGA converter from my Dad and I'll be back to two monitor glory!

Filibuster
10-04-05, 03:31 PM
i believe there where some moboards (maybe NF5?) that will have dual 16X PEG slots..

Nforce Professional boards have dual 16X slots. Opteron only, hence it will be very expensive.

Nforce4 SLI X16 chip supports dual 16X...just did a search and it appears there are a few boards that have this but it looks like Intel only at the moment. Nvidia.com has AMD support listed but I think it is still too new other than the pro boards.

jAkUp
10-04-05, 03:44 PM
The nForce4 16x boards are dual 16x slots. MSI and ASUS have them.

superklye
10-04-05, 03:45 PM
It's really bugging me that I misspelled "another" in the title.