PDA

View Full Version : Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra SLi

Pages : [1] 2 3

superklye
10-02-05, 03:43 PM
Anyone else have this board? I got my new rig setup last night and I'm trying to figure out how to OC it and I'm not really having much luck. I Googled some reviews and everyone was praising all the crazy RAM options and stuff in the BIOS...well, my BIOS doesn't have those options. I updated to the newest F4 BIOS as well, and I just can't get it to post doing what I did on my EPoX 9NDA3+ nFORCE3 Ultra board.

Then again, it doesn't have all the same options as that board either. So if anyone has this and has had any luck OCing with it, please lend a hand. :) I just want to get to around 2.25 or 2.3GHz...nothing too crazy.

superklye
10-02-05, 05:26 PM
See, what I don't get is this:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1742&page=4

That image under "BIOS Features for the Enthusiast" does not exist. Looking at the heading in the picture, it's under "Advanced Chipset Features" and I don't even have that menu option!

superklye
10-02-05, 05:29 PM
Okay, I just read in another review (http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=285&p=6) that you have to hit ctrl+F1 to get the advanced features. I can't believe the mobo manual didn't have anything about this. Ridiculous.

Ah well, hopefully now I can get this beast OCed! :)

jAkUp
10-02-05, 05:53 PM
Yup I was just gonna say that. Alot of Gigabyte mobos have their tweaking section "hidden"

I think thats really lame..lol but anyways, at least you found it.

superklye
10-02-05, 08:48 PM
This board just makes no sense to me. I'm following what people over at nForcersHQ said to do in order to OC.

I've put my memory at 166MHz, put the HTT at 4x, set the CPU frequency at 250 and put the multiplier at 9 (which is auto). That should be 2.25GHz, exactly what and how I was running it on the EPoX board, but the system just freezes. This barely comprehensible message shows up saying.

THE CPU IS OVER CLOCK RIGHT NOW! PRESS DEL IF SYSTEM HANG UP.

And it hangs. Even if I put the frequency at 210. I don't think you can OC on this board.

And yes, I've upped the vcore to 1.525v, which should be way more than enough, and the vdimm to +0.2v which I believe is 2.8v.

Sigh. Anyone have any help/advice?

ViN86
10-02-05, 09:05 PM
all those settings sound correct. make sure you set the multiplier at 9x (do it manually or else the board tries to set it lower so it goes to the intended speed of the cpu).

there any OC warnings you can turn off? you might be able to get rid of those warnings. as for it not posting, thats weird. that 3000+ venice should be able to OC like mad. sounds like some stupid setting is holding you back.

superklye
10-02-05, 09:10 PM
Yeah, it really does sound like a dumb setting, and if there is a way to turn it off, I don't know how. There is NOTHING to describe this BIOS. The manual's descriptions just reword whatever the BIOS says.

And the manual doesn't even mention how to access the advanced BIOS stuff. The BIOS has no descriptions for a lot of the options in those advanced things, and I can't really find anything online. It's like they don't want you to OC with this board, y et people seem to be able to. Yet doing exactly what they do, I can't get it to post. GRR! :mad:

And I'll try manually setting 9x. I don't like that it says 9x 1800MHz, though. I know it's just because the default CPU frequency is 200MHz, but still...

ViN86
10-02-05, 09:23 PM
yea, with my board, if you dont manually set the multi, it moves it down. first time i tried OC'ing i ended up runnin at like 1.5 GHz or something and i was like WTF!!?!?!?!

hahaha, its funny when i think about it. while windows was loading, it was taking forever, and i was thinkin, damn this OC sucks....

superklye
10-02-05, 09:32 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but I've got this feeling it's not going to work. I just wish there was a little more explanation in the manual/BIOS so I knew that what I was messing with was the right setting.

People kept mentioning the FSB, but there IS no FSB setting anywhere. I jsut assumed that was the RAM speed since it usually would be and put that down to 166. This shouldn't be this hard and it makes me feel like I'm an idiot because I can't get it to work.

jAkUp
10-02-05, 09:53 PM
What ratio is 166MHz? What are you effectively setting your ram to?

Have you tried relaxing the timings on the memory? Try to go with CL3. Also give it 2.7v.

Do you have the latest BIOS version also?

Mr_LoL
10-02-05, 10:31 PM
Why is the Northbridge passively cooled? I am pretty sure that would have an effect on stability when the cpu is overclocked. I think all the main settings for overclocking are under the "Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker section" in the bios.

superklye
10-03-05, 02:10 AM
I don't know why it's passively cooled. I know it's a bd idea though. And as for ratios, I have no options to change those. I assume it's 1:1 because there is nowhere to make it anyting else. The memory is at 2.8v and I haven't relaxed timings, but I guess I can try. I'll have to do this in the morning, though. I'm in no shape right now to do it.

sytaylor
10-03-05, 04:40 AM
Looked at your memory timings yet?

superklye
10-03-05, 09:10 AM
I haven't had time yet. This'll have to wait until after I get home from work tonight.

ViN86
10-03-05, 09:21 AM
166MHz is the 6:5 ratio. that means it will make your memory speed (250/6)*5 which is about 208 MHz. try pushin the HTT back to 240, leave the HT multi at 4x and force the 9x multiplier. that will give your memory a true 200 MHz value.

it should post then. jAkUp's suggestion should also work, as your memory is OC'd and a little more voltage/looser timings would help.

superklye
10-03-05, 09:35 AM
But it's so weird that the same memory and CPU would be just fine at the stock timings on the old board. I mean, I know that the board can have an impact on how well things OC, too, but I dunno...this just seems like there is something I'm missing.

How can they have NO mention of any of these advanced menu options in their book?! I can understand that they don't want inexperienced people to mess with things, but for all the aconyms I know, there are still a ton I don't. Bah! I just need to close my eyes and start hitting buttons. :)

Hopefully I'll have some time after work tonight...this board is awesome, it really is, I just must be missing something is all. Thanks everyone for your help, and keep the tips coming. I'll try pretty much anything to get this thing OCed.

ViN86
10-03-05, 12:42 PM
i know the small OC in the memory seems like it has no effect (when you run 250 HTT with a 6:5 divider) but it really does. i was doin the same thing originally and my memory hated me for it. thats why i moved to PC4000 and moved the HTT back to 240 with my pc3200.

anyways, just try some settings tonight and let us know how they work out. we'll get this OC fiasco figured out, heh :cool:

btw, i agree that there is something small you are missing. that venice could fly.

TierMann
10-03-05, 01:25 PM
That OC message will always be there unless you don't OC. It's a safety so that you can hit delete to disable the OC incase it won't post with it. If you wait til after that message to hit delete you might be able to get into the bios but you'll still be OC'd and possibly getting corruption on your menus.

For everything to run stable I have to manually set all the memory timings at 166. Mine runs at 3-3-3-7@166 with the Auto option, but with my OC it's back to ~200 so I have to set them to 3-3-3-8. I don't know if it's the board or the proc, but one of them is picky as heck.

superklye
10-03-05, 02:20 PM
Hmm...okay, thanks for the info guys. When I get home from work tonight, I'll give this stuff a try.

I'll put the memory at 3-5-5-8 2T and see if that fixes it.

ViN86
10-03-05, 09:24 PM
so hows it runnin? any luck?

superklye
10-03-05, 09:28 PM
I haven't tried anything yet. I got home from work at 7:30 and went straight to the gym. I've just been recooping from that and am about to hop in the shower. I'll try some stuff in a few minutes. :)

superklye
10-03-05, 11:20 PM
Well, I appreciate everyone's help and advice, but 214 is the farthest I could push it. I set the RAM timings way back, put the vcore up to 1.650 (I don't like how it goes up by .025 until 1.550 and then it goes from there to 1.650), set the multiplier to 9 and it just wouldn't post. I don't know what else to do...this board does NOT want to OC.

So I'm running at 1.927GHz...only up 127MHz...I don't even know if that's worth it. And I put the RAM back at 200MHz so it's 1:1 and is also running at 214MHz.

Sigh. And I read so many people having such good luck OCing this board. 270+ isn't uncommon. :(

superklye
10-03-05, 11:24 PM
Oh, and I put the RAM to 2.8v

ViN86
10-03-05, 11:44 PM
did you try updating the BIOS? maybe that will add some features and fix some probs

superklye
10-03-05, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I've got the latest version, F4.