PDA

View Full Version : Vsync and SLI?

AstroCat
10-03-05, 01:28 PM
I got 1 7800GTX and I'm interested in getting another for SLI.
But, there is no way I'm going to do this if Vsync does not work in SLI.

So, does Vsync work with SLI?

Thanks for the help!

Ninjaman09
10-03-05, 01:55 PM
Nope, not at this time, though I believe it is being addressed in a near-future driver release.

BTW I don't use VSync and I get no screen tearing - there are ways around it.

AstroCat
10-03-05, 01:58 PM
Not even with: 81.82 (Drivers Dated 09/22/05) ?
Somehow I thought I read those fixed the issue, good thing I checked.

I'm not sure how you can get around the Vsync issue. Tearing is just awful and I would never want Vsync off.

I run a 21" CRT, usually at 1280x960 @ 100Hz.

How do you get around the tearing? Whenever I turn Vysnc off I get tearing immediately.

Thanks for the help.

Grestorn
10-03-05, 02:13 PM
The problem hasn't been solved with 81.82.

AstroCat
10-03-05, 02:16 PM
Ok, thanks for the update. Sheesh, I don't know why anyone would even bother with SLI if your graphics are going to tear all over the place.

I don't get it?

Does anyone know if this issue is going to be fixed. I'd buy another 7800GTX today if this issue was fixed.

Thanks!!

OWA
10-03-05, 03:07 PM
It's usually just an issue for LCD owners. With CRTs, tearing usually isn't all that noticeable. I don't notice it at all with my CRT.

V-sync also works in some games and modes. I think it's mainly AFR where it doesn't work.

AstroCat
10-03-05, 03:12 PM
Hmmm, on my CRT I notice tearing frequently if I turn Vsync off, always have for years. Noticed you have 2 BFG's, that's what I would have.

Do you find it worth it at this point to have SLI, any 2nd thoughts?

Thanks for the advice.

PSYCHODAD
10-03-05, 03:56 PM
The only time that I have noticed tearing with my lcd(in sli) was in Battlefield 2. I turned on V-sync and the tearing pretty much disappeared.

For the most part however, v-sync is generally off in my system and no noticeable tearing.

OWA
10-03-05, 04:22 PM
Hmmm, on my CRT I notice tearing frequently if I turn Vsync off, always have for years. Noticed you have 2 BFG's, that's what I would have.

Do you find it worth it at this point to have SLI, any 2nd thoughts?

Thanks for the advice.
Yeah, I've seen others mention they notice it also. It probably has to do with the monitor and the user. Maybe some monitors have it worse than others and I'm sure some users notice it more than others. When I first started using a LCD monitor I did notice it. The tearing on it was unbearable so I was trying to use vsync as much as possible. With my CRT and just a single card, I had vsync off most of the time already so when I started using SLI, I didn't even realize there was a vsync issue until others mentioned it (and then I tested it).

As for SLI, I love it and haven't had any 2nd thoughts but I try to run everything at 1600x1200 4xAA/16xAF. It has also allowed me to play a lot of games at 8xS AA & TAA:SS even when using 16x12, which looks really good. Recently, I've been playing Doom 3/RoE again at 2048x1536 just for the heck of it. If I could only use 1280x1024 or only used 1280x960 when gaming, I'm not sure if I'd find it worth it or not. I guess at those resolutions it's more overkill but you could try running higher levels of AA...although a lot of the newer games still won't be playable at 8xS AA even with SLI.

Anyway, I also really like it because I like playing/tinkering with the technology. That's one of the reasons I gave up gaming on my LCD (before I even went with SLI). It was really bugging me having only one native resolution (1280x1024).

It also took me a while to make the jump to SLI and I just did it this time around when I got the 7800s. I was concerned about noise and thought it might be too much of a pain to deal with but it has been a pleasant surprise on both accounts. It also seems to be getting better (like not having to reboot to enable/disable SLI). It doesn't cure all performance-woes though. Like, it doesn't help Far Cry with HDR enabled as much as I thought it would. So, there are some games that don't seem to benefit much from it, some benefit a lot. What it does do, is give you a lot of flexibility especially now having SLI AA modes to play with as well.

AstroCat
10-03-05, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the response. If I had SLI I would run higher resolutions I'm sure.

Well, I think I will wait a bit longer. If the Vsync issue is cleared up I'll probably order a 2nd 7800GTX.

jmferraiolo
10-03-05, 05:42 PM
It's been stated by Nvidia that the next "official" driver release will enable the use of vsync in AFR rendering modes. If the 81.82s do not have this fix, then I am somewhat skeptical that the newest release will do us SLI / widescreen LCD folks any good.

odin20
10-04-05, 11:55 AM
yeah im a little dissapointed in nvidia to put out a technology and not be 100% functional.
I love my sli setup but i have a 24inch lcd and the tearing is brutal in games unless i use sfr and vsync. Unfortunately sfr doesnt work in alot of games correctly.
Cmon nvidia...dont you realize how many people have lcd's?

AstroCat
10-04-05, 11:56 AM
Well according to this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20051004_100354.html

I might have to get that credit card back out again soon ... ;)

Rakeesh
10-04-05, 12:17 PM
Personally I've never liked the idea of SLI anyways honestly.

odin20
10-04-05, 09:19 PM
lol you have never liked it? Why?
It allows me to play games at my native rez 1920 * 1200 without it i would be screwed.

JimmyY2KWS6
10-04-05, 11:04 PM
I have the vsync problem with my 7800GTX SLI and I hate it! Can't wait for the drivers that address this issue. I just tried 81.84 and still the Vsync is not fixed. I still love my SLI as I play my games at 1920x1200 (my LCDs native resolution) Hope they fix it soon.

Jimmy

rewt
10-11-05, 11:36 PM
While playing Half-Life 2 on my new SLi setup I noticed a lot of tearing with the 81.84. I'm using a 17-inch CRT @ 1024x768 85Hz with 4xAA/16xAF. I really hope this gets fixed because Vsync makes most games much smoother IMHO.

*edit - Ok it appears I was wrong. Vsync works in SLi when using multi-gpu mode in the Global profile and Force vSync On both in-game and in the Half-Life 2 profile.

Acid Rain
10-12-05, 01:30 AM
I really hope this gets fixed because Vsync makes most games much smoother IMHO. Yes, especially when you've got the power to hold a stable and constant frame-rate. I love the fluidity of a fixed, high framerate. Tearing is noticeable for me with all monitors I've tried, so this is something I'd like eliminated as well. Big v-sync fan here. I can't wait for it to work in all cases.