PDA

View Full Version : Quake 4 soundtrack ?

Badash
10-03-05, 07:35 PM
Well Quake 1 was the game of all games to me and the mood with the NiN soundtrack was awesome, they really need to comeback with some awesome soundtrack for Quake 4. Anyone have info on the sound for the game?

j0j081
10-04-05, 05:23 AM
i think they have it for sale on amazon unless i was dreaming.

DoomUK
10-04-05, 05:54 PM
Reznor's work on Quake earned him a new NIN fan after I played that game. It remains one of my favourite game scores of all time. Sonic Mayhem's work on Quake II was quite inspiring also, although a competely different mood to the original (given that the game is set in a completely different universe to the original*). I don't know who created the soundtrack for Quake III Arena (Sonic Mayhem again?), but that too was incredible.

So yeah, I'm sure that Quake IV's soundtrack will live up to our expectations. To have the game fall short in the sound department would be an insult.

*Before we all knew about the story of Q4, I always hoped that it would bridge the story gap between the Q1 and Q2 universes, other than the characters seen fighting it out in Q3A. Oh well, can't have everything...

Veger
10-05-05, 09:56 AM
Yeah Quake 1 was freaking awesome back in the day with that awesome soundtrack...

nVidi0t
10-05-05, 10:42 AM
I prefered Quake 2's soundtrack. Now that kicked ass.

jnd3
10-05-05, 11:34 AM
Man, I think I still have my Quake 1 shareware CD lying around. I should rip the soundtrack to my iPod....

CaptNKILL
10-05-05, 12:07 PM
Man, I think I still have my Quake 1 shareware CD lying around. I should rip the soundtrack to my iPod....
I still have mine... I got all the full games off of it too ;)

I wish they would bridge the Q1 and Q2 stories too... Quake 1 had amazing atmosphere but it had no story. I would love to know where all that came from and where it went.

I guess thats the one thing that always irritated me about id software though... they seem to blend all of their games together because they are so similar. Like having "Doom" as a playable character in Quake 3, and having the BFG in every game... the plasma gun has been in Doom and Quake 3 as well. Quake 3 should have been called id Arena ;)

I dont have a big problem with having things carry over, but it makes the settings of their games really trivial since it seems like they are all trying to be in the same game world but cant quite pull it together. Adding a nail gun to the strogg arsenal in Q4 was the icing on the cake though... they really need to make up their minds ;)

jnd3
10-06-05, 08:13 AM
Heh, yeah, I did the same thing. Nice little boon, that. ;)

I'm listening to the Quake I soundtrack as I type this. Very moody and atmospheric. Great for a rainy day. The only (minor) problem is that I can't find the track listing anywhere.

Edit: Scratch that. The only minor problem is that I've found a half dozen completely different track listings for the CD. LOL. Guess I'll just pick the one I like the best. /end edit

My question: will the nail gun ammo box have the NiN logo on it like in Quake I? ;)

I agree with your take on id Software, though. They're technically excellent -- sound, music, engine, graphics -- but they're missing some of that creative spark that makes for a truly gripping game. That said, I still have high hopes for Quake 4!

DoomUK
10-06-05, 10:14 AM
I agree with your take on id Software, though. They're technically excellent -- sound, music, engine, graphics -- but they're missing some of that creative spark that makes for a truly gripping game. That said, I still have high hopes for Quake 4!

Remember that id, although they have a certain amount of creative say-so, aren't developing Q4. It's up to Raven software ;).

Nutty
10-06-05, 11:36 AM
The 1st track on the Quake CD is awesome.. Think I'm gonna have another listen to that when I get home..

anticitizenzero
10-07-05, 11:07 AM
I dont know if anyone noticed this, but when I watced the trailer, they used a track from the Man on Fire soundtrack, can anyone confirm this will be in the final game or just a added effect for the trailer, my guess is it won't. But i've always thought that short guitar riff would be good for a action game.

AnXa
04-14-07, 06:38 AM
I wish they would bridge the Q1 and Q2 stories too... Quake 1 had amazing atmosphere but it had no story. I would love to know where all that came from and where it went.

Not to step on your toes but Quake1 has story but it's delivered out like in Doom. In "readme"-file and rest of the story is being told in end of the each episode. I can post the Quake1 story here and it's perfectly in sync with Quake2 althought the episodic approach is abadoned in quake2...

Story:
Background: You get the phone call at 4 a.m. By 5:30 you're in the secret installation. The commander explains tersely, "It's about the Slipgate device. Once we perfect these, we'll be able to use them to transport people and cargo from one place to another instantly.

"An enemy codenamed Quake, is using his own slipgates to insert death squads inside our bases to kill, steal, and kidnap.

"The hell of it is we have no idea where he's from. Our top scientists think Quake's not from Earth, but another dimension. They say Quake's preparing to unleash his real army, whatever that is.

"You're our best man. This is Operation Counterstrike and you're in charge. Find Quake, and stop him ... or it ... You have full authority to requisition anything you need. If the eggheads are right, all our lives are expendable."

Prelude to Destruction: While scouting the neighborhood, you hear shots back at the base. Damn, that Quake bastard works fast! He heard about Operation Counterstrike, and hit first. Racing back, you see the place is overrun. You are almost certainly the only survivor. Operation Counterstrike is over. Except for you.

You know that the heart of the installation holds a slipgate. Since Quake's killers came through, it is still set to his dimension. You can use it to get loose in his hometown. Maybe you can get to the asshole personally. You pump a round into your shotgun, and get moving.

So in short: Quake1 starts like in normal world where guys have invented a teleportal based around stones they found around the world. They activate it and start exploring stuff they find about dimensions and stuff. SubNiggurah aka Quake starts moving it's own subdimensional army and eventually story in quake leads to subniggurah defeat but all this has caused time and space separations and subniggurah altered time and space so that in current world situation is like it is in Quake2. There humans have to defeat his kind of alternative-self again, the makron. That's where Quake2 kicks on and Quake1 after it's missionpacks ends to. We could argue that SubNiggurah or some other his alternative existance in different dimensions created quake3 where best fighters are tested against themselfs to find the fighter who could defeat player in quake1. But quake1 fighter defeats subniggurah before the fighter can be found. It leads to belive that quake3 final encounter was dual of the two best fighters of the arena to find the which one was the best to serve their master.

Of course quake has confusing story and it's kind of repeat of Doom's story with different perspective. John Romero eventually was "forced to" leave idsoftware because of this design and story repeat. I admit that it's full of holes but it's best explained in this way. Quake4 is just continuation of Quake2 dimension happenings and to me kind of off shoot from original quake1 story.

By the way. Anyone noticed that Quake2 soundtrack has song(s) from the Rage Against the Machine Evil Empire album?

Sonic Mayhem - Rage (1997)
Rage Against Machine - People of the Sun (1996)
These are very similar. They are almost 90% same song with different styles of play and Quake 2 versions are without lyrics but you can sing them both with People of the Sun lyrics. There is also song called Sonic Mayhem - March Of The Stroggs (1997) on Quake 2 soundtrack, it isn't as copy as Rage (which name seems to be reference into Rage Against the Machine direction) but it's played with same chords but more slowly when Rage is faster mix of People of the Sun.

As a funny side note: And newer upcoming album from finnish metal band Waltari has some stuff taken from Quake2 soundtrack.

Waltari - Get Stamped (2007)
Sonic Mayhem - Descent Into Cerberon (1997)

Seems to be pair since both sound the same and they have bridges in same parts of the song and theme isn't just similar it's got to be the same song.

Also I guess that infamous Sonic Mayhem - Climb is taken from Rob Zombie. But I don't know the name of the original/inspired by song and so I don't know the year it was made of. My friend told me in irc that it's a copy from Rob Zombie and asked me to search thought my Rage Against the Machine library since he thought that there is at least one same song. And he was kind of right about that.

Sonic Mayhem has copied from other musicans but now other artists copy from them. How ironic. :D

ynnek
04-14-07, 12:37 PM

I have mine right here along with my other music cd's.. :)

Edit:
I think its like Q1, they come to us via slip portals.. we fight back, and figure out how to use the slip portals.

Q2: We come to them via slip portals, and on the first wave, everyone's landing pad is knocked out of place, and thats why you are alone.

Q4: Is about around between Q2 timeperiod, I think a little afterwards?

OWA
04-14-07, 02:51 PM
When does that game (Quake 4) come out anyway. Seems like I've been waiting for that to be released for a while now.

nVidi0t
04-14-07, 04:30 PM
:captnkill:

j0j081
04-15-07, 03:33 PM
When does that game (Quake 4) come out anyway. Seems like I've been waiting for that to be released for a while now.
lol.

AnXa
04-21-07, 03:49 AM

And we have a lucky winner! :D

EDIT: Quake4 came out like two years ago...