PDA

View Full Version : Best Router for gaming

Pages : [1] 2

Hex
10-04-05, 01:56 AM
I hate the idea of sharing my connection really, probably unfounded but *shrug*.

Anyway, getting ready to move and will end up having to share my cable connection with roomie.

Me , heavy gamer.
Eq2, Star Wars Galaxies, various FPS.

Them, not so much a gamer but dabbles in City of heroes and will probably be downloading constantly.

Have a 5 mbps cable connection, what is the best router or option to go with?

marqmajere
10-04-05, 02:12 AM
D-Link 604. Cheap, stable, fast and wont give you a lick of trouble. I own one and so do 3 of my friends. No troubles whatsoever. It's a wired router so wireless is out if you want to go that route. The 604 can be had for around $30 or maybe cheaper. I play all games with no trouble including the ones you mentioned.

Starscream
10-04-05, 02:25 AM
Since you're sharing your connection with others you might want to look at something that has quality of service like one of the dlink gaming routers http://games.dlink.com/

The 604 is a great router especially considering it's so cheap now but it doesn't have any QOS features so there's no way to give your precious gaming packets priority over your roommates downloads.

marqmajere
10-04-05, 02:58 AM
Since you're sharing your connection with others you might want to look at something that has quality of service like one of the dlink gaming routers http://games.dlink.com/

The 604 is a great router especially considering it's so cheap now but it doesn't have any QOS features so there's no way to give your precious gaming packets priority over your roommates downloads.

With a 5 meg connection, I doubt he'll notice a difference.

|MaguS|
10-04-05, 04:21 AM
I say go get a switch, routers suck for gaming since they have a built in firewall which causes a hassle (port fowarding doesn't always work *cough*steam*cough*).

If you need a Firewall, just get a software based one...

j0j081
10-04-05, 05:26 AM
usually you can turn off the builtin firewall.

|MaguS|
10-04-05, 05:39 AM
I have ever yet to see a router that allows you to turn off the firewall, I only see port fowarding or opening the IP using DMZ (which screws with certain applications).

Bubba
10-04-05, 07:34 AM
many 'newer' Linksys routers let you turn various protection schemes on and off in the Security section, including global control for the whole Firewall (WRT54G).

Any router should be fine if you're just going to have people wire in. Those DLinks mentioned above are likely easier to handle for gaming. If you want wireless, you may want to ask around a bit more or do some more research. I've never had problems with DLink or Linksys.

retsam
10-04-05, 09:34 AM
I say go get a switch, routers suck for gaming since they have a built in firewall which causes a hassle (port fowarding doesn't always work *cough*steam*cough*).

If you need a Firewall, just get a software based one... ummm this is so wrong on so many levels i dont know were to begin with it .... dont listen to this advice...

the best router is one that you can set QOS(quality of service) most consumer lever switches cant do this so go with a router.... if you are sharing with room mates use QOS controls to regulate there bandwith needs ... since you said that they will only use it lightly and you dont want them interfearing with your latency and sucking up all your bandwidth... so lets just say that you have a 1.544 mbps line coming into your house...well you can set there committed information rate at say 384kbps.... so that way it would leave you with the rest of the bandwidth .....

retsam
10-04-05, 09:36 AM

if just one of his roommates turns on a filesharing ap ...there goes all the 5 megs...and his latency with it ....

retsam
10-04-05, 09:41 AM
I have ever yet to see a router that allows you to turn off the firewall, I only see port fowarding or opening the IP using DMZ (which screws with certain applications). its called NAT and yes most consumet level routers come with this turned on... but very few aps and games arent NAT aware ...maybe if this was 95 then i would say go with a switch ...but i havent had this problem in years,..... just remember to turn of universal plug and play ..... on both your router and your host maching.... i think this is the problem that magus is referring too....

Starscream
10-04-05, 10:51 AM
if just one of his roommates turns on a filesharing ap ...there goes all the 5 megs...and his latency with it ....

Agreed, I have a 5 meg cable connection and it's easy to saturate that with a few downloads.

Rakeesh
10-04-05, 11:29 AM
I have ever yet to see a router that allows you to turn off the firewall, I only see port fowarding or opening the IP using DMZ (which screws with certain applications).

It's not a firewall, its NAT. This is unavoidable unless your ISP permits you to have more than one IP address. If not (and most don't,) then a switch will not work as you suggest.

If you need a Firewall, just get a software based one...

As retsam already pointed out, this is bad advice.

Absolution
10-04-05, 04:11 PM
best router ive ever used (expecially for gaming): dlink 4300 (or 4100 if you dont need wireless)

qos uplink = very good pings when having big lans
other then that, ive never had a problem with it (no crashes) port forwarding actaully works apposed to some other devices ive owned (netgear 604, linksys something or another, only had that thing for a week)
but its spendy

ViN86
10-04-05, 05:03 PM
id get a router/switch that would restrict the bandwidth 50/50. that way you make sure you arent impeding on each other's activities.

J-Mag
10-04-05, 05:42 PM
best router ive ever used (expecially for gaming): dlink 4300 (or 4100 if you dont need wireless)

qos uplink = very good pings when having big lans
other then that, ive never had a problem with it (no crashes) port forwarding actaully works apposed to some other devices ive owned (netgear 604, linksys something or another, only had that thing for a week)
but its spendy

Yep, I have the same router and not once have I had to reboot it because it has crashed. I also purchased it pre-order from D-link, so I got pretty much one of the first ones out there.

Not to mention you can turn on SPI and then you are pretty secure. Unless someone REALLY wants to get in.

And the hard ports are gigabit, how can you go wrong?

j0j081
10-05-05, 07:43 AM
many 'newer' Linksys routers let you turn various protection schemes on and off in the Security section, including global control for the whole Firewall (WRT54G).

Any router should be fine if you're just going to have people wire in. Those DLinks mentioned above are likely easier to handle for gaming. If you want wireless, you may want to ask around a bit more or do some more research. I've never had problems with DLink or Linksys.
yeah that's what i have, and my friend has some motorola router that has the option to.

nrs421
10-05-05, 09:59 AM
what me and my buddies used to do when we were roomies was we got a switch and for 5 or 10 bucks extra got extra IP addresses.....

nVidi0t
10-05-05, 11:37 AM
D-Link gamefuel afaik. It stamps gaming packets as high priority and test show it works pretty well with background apps or a shared network.

I use a Linksys WRT54GS, and its fantastic. Never had problems with triggering, forwarding or lag. Everything is smooth and easy out of the box.

Slyder
10-05-05, 12:08 PM
I have used a Linksys BEFSR41 for 2 years now and never had a problen with it. Game pings have always remained between 15 and 30. :cool:

Shamrock
10-05-05, 10:37 PM
Bubba is right, the Linksys WRT54G lets you turn off the firewall altogether, PLUS, it lets you port forward entire game applications. I.E. You play Farcry on LAN, if you tell Linksys to port forward Farcry.exe, it can allow any Farcry.exe to access the router (only if you tell it to do that, default is by IP)

I wont touch DLink because they share the same technology as Netgear (same chipset and mini mobo). I have horror stories about Netgear that makes you cringe.

retsam
10-06-05, 01:17 AM
am i the only one using a cisco(2621) router for there home network? ..... now thats the ultimate in home networks....

alucard_x
10-06-05, 09:15 AM
the dlink 4100 looks nice except for the $120 price tag :|

now that i live alone i think it would be overkill. speaking of befsr41, mine died last week.. it won't hold a connection from any port for more than 2 seconds and it will continue to drop/reconnect. not to mention the plug in the back for the ac adapter is touchy because of having to reset so many times over the years.. lookin at the dlink 604 for now

Absolution
10-06-05, 09:35 PM
I have used a Linksys BEFSR41 for 2 years now and never had a problen with it. Game pings have always remained between 15 and 30. :cool:
i believe that the befsr41 is the router i had, but it was v4, it couldnt hold connections in games for more then 2 minutes before timeouts, tried the stock and latest firmware and changed all the settings :\

chowells
10-07-05, 05:42 PM

I expect he will, even if I'm downloading at 100k or so on 5Meg ADSL my housemate sees latency increase quite a lot.