PDA

View Full Version : Philips HDTV

DJMONDY
10-04-05, 10:15 AM
Im 99.9% picking this up today and i just wanted to know what you thought of it as a gamer.

Check it out here:http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/455_263842.html

Cheers :thumbsup:

|MaguS|
10-04-05, 10:22 AM
If by gaming you mean consoles then it will be great, for PC it would be decent though.

Rakeesh
10-04-05, 10:24 AM
Keep in mind though that you wont be able to play 1080i games at full spec.

DJMONDY
10-04-05, 11:16 AM

Why?? I thought it supported it:(

|MaguS|: it is gonna be a console screen :)

Mr_LoL
10-04-05, 12:10 PM
http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/455_274488.html
I am spying that one myself. Its either that or a dell 2005fpw. Ahh decisions

BrianG
10-04-05, 12:22 PM
NO plasma or LCD displays are able to run at native 1080i. The important thing is how well the panel does the conversion of data from 1080i to the native resolution of the panel. Also keep in mind that the 768 lines of resolution at progrssive and not interlaced. Sooo, the TV is actually converting 540x30 fps + 540x30 fps to 768x60. As long as it accepts 1080i and 720p inputs, he should be fine. If the LCD has 1080 lines of resolution, it is most likely a 1080p display meaning upconversion from 720p and line doubling 1080i.

If you are far enough away from the display, there is no perceptable difference in resolution or detail between 720p and 1080i. At that size screen, he can be right up on it...

Rakeesh
10-04-05, 12:27 PM
Why?? I thought it supported it:(

Nope, the resolution on that one maxes at 720p for the most part.

NO plasma or LCD displays are able to run at native 1080i.

Yeah they do, many newer ones have 1920x1080 these days. Basically that means 1080p. Even generics do that these days:

http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=LVM37W1

Very high 1000:1 contrast ratio and nice fast 12ms response time as well. Course I can't vouch for the quality of this particular one though (never heard of that brand myself.)

If you are far enough away from the display, there is no perceptable difference in resolution or detail between 720p and 1080i. At that size screen, he can be right up on it...

Depends on the person. Somebody like me with overactive cone cells easily notices the difference. For the average person though, you are correct for the most part.

DJMONDY
10-04-05, 01:37 PM
Thanks for your help guys youve been very helpfull:)

BrianG
10-04-05, 02:21 PM
Yeah they do, many newer ones have 1920x1080 these days. Basically that means 1080p.

Depends on the person. Somebody like me with overactive cone cells easily notices the difference. For the average person though, you are correct for the most part.
No basically, it is 1080p. The point is that you will notice the crap electronics upconverting 480i, 720p and 1080i to 1080p on that panel than the minimal vertical reolution lost running 768p if the conversion is higher quality.

Again, the quality of the electronics drives the price of flat panel displays as much as the panels used. There are not many actual manufacturers of the LCD and Plasma panels used by all of the manufacturers. For example, my JVC uses the same glass as the Panasonic line.

I did a lot of research into the different displays before deciding on a 42" 480p plasma. My TV takes 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i inputs. 480i content looks FAR superior than the 1024x768 or 1024x1024 plasmas with rectangular pixels having to upconvert instead of simple line doubling. The downsample of 720p and 1080i HD content looks amazing on the 480p display because the TV is basically over-sampling the frame. As long as you are far enough away to prevent screen-door, which is about 6-8' (viewing distance is 10-12'), you would be HARD pressed to tell the difference between this display and other "HD" plasmas. In comparison, the similarly priced Samsung 46" DLP had lousy blacks, rainbowed 480i and shimmering 1080i. LCD3 and HD-ILA were better than DLP, but they were more $$$ and the minimum size was 50" and that was the opposite of what we were trying to move to as we were getting rid of a 50" projection to get back out living room. :D

The Summary - regardless of HD standards, no displays can do all resolutions and formats natively. So, since you know you will be compromised, you need to pay more attention to the display engine than the resolution. Dig?

DJMONDY
10-05-05, 08:52 AM
Just wanted to ask if my current consoles will look ok on this screen??

xbox, ps2, and gamecube.

At the moment im using a very old tv that doesnt have a scart connection and only supports 50hz:o :o

Rakeesh
10-05-05, 07:11 PM
No basically, it is 1080p.

Well, a 1080i to 1080p deinterlace filter doesn't lose any image quality (not sure if this is what you were suggesting.)

The Summary - regardless of HD standards, no displays can do all resolutions and formats natively. So, since you know you will be compromised, you need to pay more attention to the display engine than the resolution. Dig?

Well, not exactly.

Many TV's (that I know of) allow for a proportional scaling, which keeps the image quality perfectly intact. Say for example you want a 480p image displayed on a 1080p screen. It can just upscale it by a perfect factor of two (e.g. each pixel is quadroupled into the neighboring pixels.) You'll only lose about a quarter of an inch total worth of your screen while doing this, but the image quality is perfectly preserved, e.g. no blurring or anything, so it is well worth it. And when you want 1080p, you get just that rather than a downscaled image, which is worse than an upscaled one. 720p would be a bit more difficult to do this with, but hardly any games in existence do 720p without also supporting 1080i.

With a 720p native screen on the other hand, upscaling from 480p gets uglier as it is impossible to do a perfect two fold upscale.

Just wanted to ask if my current consoles will look ok on this screen??

They should be fine.

DJMONDY
10-06-05, 02:11 AM
Well i got the tv and i love it:)

I tried out my xbox with burnout revenge, far cry instincts and they looked awsome. Im very happy:D

Whats the best scart lead to buy for the xbox, ps2?? im only using the standard ones that come with the systems.

The sales people at comet did show me the difference with the more expensive scart leads and even tho its not a massive change it was enough to make me want one, for the finer details:).

Thanks again

Next on my list: XBOX 360;)

DJMONDY
10-07-05, 06:58 AM
Would this be a good buy or are there better cables available??

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/XPX01.html?id=QP7ZRBfn