PDA

View Full Version : New Forceware driver ?


Pages : [1] 2

harshw
10-04-05, 11:15 AM
http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20051004_100354.html

jmferraiolo
10-04-05, 11:18 AM
Let's hope they're later than the 81.82s and that this news report is accurate.

harshw
10-04-05, 11:33 AM
So NVidia wants to spoil the R520 party :)

I bet the R520 reviewers are benching with Rel80 drivers and that 3DMark05 scores will improve as well. A 5% to 10% improvement in 3DMark05 scores for retail 7800GTX cards ( overclocked to 480/1300 ) certainly puts them in striking distance of alleged R520 scores

Let's hope that the 3DMark05 improvements translate into real world performance improvements - Doom3, HL2, BF2 etc like the article says.

The ASUS website claims 8697 odd 3DMarks05 for their ASUS 7800GTX/TOP clocked at 486/1350. A 5% increase translates to 9200 3DMark05

Electronic Punk
10-04-05, 11:44 AM
Yup, a release today was still on yesterday last I heard. I am pretty sure it will be 81.8x something :)
I have also heard that they should definatly be considered beta as they have lots of SLI issues so will of course appear on nzone, but this was before the release was postponed until today.

Hammer that FTP!

I can also confirm the 5% increase in 3dmark05 :D, but I am sure lots of people can now?

fatal1ty
10-04-05, 12:54 PM
So NVidia wants to spoil the R520 party :)

Ok let me present this thought to you....

1. Are you happy knowing the 7800 GTX, in the state you bought it, was only running to say 90% of it's full capacity with Nvidia sitting on the knowledge that another 10% can be opened up through drivers when ATI launches it's R520...basically we are a pawn in the ATI vs. NV game.

2. ..or are you feeling cheated that Nvidia would sell you a product knowing full well it was only running 90% and that the other 10% performance would be given to you at a later date, currently undetermined to the consumer and at the will of Nvidia.


Just a thought - but if there is another 10% to be had and they waited till R520 is launched I feel a bit cheated.

just my 2 cents.

Demigod
10-04-05, 12:58 PM
Or are you happy that they have been able to optimise the drivers to work with the newer architecture and are looking forward to more over time?

weeds
10-04-05, 01:00 PM
Nvidia has always got more performance out of it's drivers as they mature.
To feel cheated because you get more performance is silly. Be happy if you get a boost.:)

seeker010
10-04-05, 01:01 PM
Ok let me present this thought to you....

1. Are you happy knowing the 7800 GTX, in the state you bought it, was only running to say 90% of it's full capacity with Nvidia sitting on the knowledge that another 10% can be opened up through drivers when ATI launches it's R520...basically we are a pawn in the ATI vs. NV game.

2. ..or are you feeling cheated that Nvidia would sell you a product knowing full well it was only running 90% and that the other 10% performance would be given to you at a later date, currently undetermined to the consumer and at the will of Nvidia.


Just a thought - but if there is another 10% to be had and they waited till R520 is launched I feel a bit cheated.

just my 2 cents.
what FACTS do you have that the reason for the 10% gain is due to R520? Maybe it's because they've finally worked out how to best optimize the drivers for the 7800GTX and the fact that it's ready near R520 launch is purely a coincidence.

FD76
10-04-05, 01:04 PM
Yea.. to release it nerfed would be bad.. but who's to say they did. Would be logical that they have infact been able to tweak drivers to find more performance, and if they choose to release em near the 520 release, so be it. It would be smart.. not evil.

OWA
10-04-05, 01:06 PM
Ok let me present this thought to you....

1. Are you happy knowing the 7800 GTX, in the state you bought it, was only running to say 90% of it's full capacity with Nvidia sitting on the knowledge that another 10% can be opened up through drivers when ATI launches it's R520...basically we are a pawn in the ATI vs. NV game.

2. ..or are you feeling cheated that Nvidia would sell you a product knowing full well it was only running 90% and that the other 10% performance would be given to you at a later date, currently undetermined to the consumer and at the will of Nvidia.


Just a thought - but if there is another 10% to be had and they waited till R520 is launched I feel a bit cheated.

just my 2 cents.
Why feel cheated. It's a new card and it takes time to get all the performance out of them. You can't magically just do that overnight. The first sets of drivers released never take full advantage of the card. It's obvious they're working hard trying to offset the R520 launch but the fact that the drivers "aren't" perfect yet should tell you that they can't just flip a switch and release some new drivers that increase performance any time they want. You should know this.

fatal1ty
10-04-05, 01:36 PM
Why feel cheated. It's a new card and it takes time to get all the performance out of them. You can't magically just do that overnight. The first sets of drivers released never take full advantage of the card. It's obvious they're working hard trying to offset the R520 launch but the fact that the drivers "aren't" perfect yet should tell you that they can't just flip a switch and release some new drivers that increase performance any time they want. You should know this.


Hypothetically speaking - if we did find out someday that this is what they did - I would feel cheated though. We will never know for sure. It was just a hypothetical... I am happy with a performance boost - if they would work right, I found the 78.05 to be much smoother even with GC AA off.

The second point is that, why did we all the sudden see Nvidia racing to get 80.xx to us supposedly today, one day before the release of the R520 - I hardly doubt thats coincedence.

fatal1ty
10-04-05, 01:37 PM
what FACTS do you have that the reason for the 10% gain is due to R520? Maybe it's because they've finally worked out how to best optimize the drivers for the 7800GTX and the fact that it's ready near R520 launch is purely a coincidence.

calm down lol, it was a hypothetical situation. Second - its way way way way too coincedental to be accidentally coincedent. ;)

RpPRO
10-04-05, 01:52 PM
I'd like to see the same improvements on my 6800GT, too...
Or is it already an ancient technology? Are the GF6 and GF7 families really different?

OWA
10-04-05, 02:38 PM
Hypothetically speaking - if we did find out someday that this is what they did - I would feel cheated though. We will never know for sure. It was just a hypothetical...
IMO, it's kind of silly but if you want worry about a hypothetical situation, then you're certainly entitled. But again, I have to ask why you try so hard to dislike your 7800 and nvidia?


The second point is that, why did we all the sudden see Nvidia racing to get 80.xx to us supposedly today, one day before the release of the R520 - I hardly doubt thats coincedence.
I don't think many would argue with the 2nd point. IMO, of course nvidia is rushing trying to get their latest driver out to essentially rain on the r520/xfire parade. I don't think you'll find many competitors that wouldn't do that. They're always going to try to make their product look more competitive. Trying to get something out soon enough that it can be used in reviews,testing, etc just seems smart to me. Would you rather they wait until after all the reviews are completed on the r520/xfire and then release new drivers? Where is the sense in that?

jAkUp
10-04-05, 02:53 PM
Its called competition fatal1ty. Thank goodness nVidia and ATI stay competitive. Without that we wouldnt be where we are now with graphics technology.

DMA
10-04-05, 02:53 PM
So, where the hell are the new drivers? It's almost 10 PM here now, and i gotta get a good night sleep before all the X1800 reviews flood the web. :D

Ok, i'll wait one more hour. Or two.. :)

Demanufakture
10-04-05, 02:58 PM
Well guru3d claims to have them all ready. They are on their site and were added today. They list it as Forceware Rel. 80 Official Beta v.81.82. They are published by Nvidia and they have the release highlights as well. However, for some reason they are still not on the nvidia website.

F_L_C
10-04-05, 02:59 PM
Supposedly, it will be the leaked 81.82 that the press received last week. The trend lately is NV sticks an empty folder of the driver they're gonna release on their FTP. Then the release time is usually within a few days and early in the morning. Well, there is no empty folder and it's afternoon now here in Cali.

F_L_C
10-04-05, 03:08 PM
So NVidia wants to spoil the R520 party :)

No, of course not. There's no conspiracy here. It's all about "Black and White 2", hehehehehehe.

Windows 2000/XP Official beta release

This is a Release 80 driver, build version 81.82.

This is the ForceWare Release 80 BETA Driver that is being released to support Black and White 2 launching on October 4.

This driver fixes some issues found on Release 75 drivers on Black and White including:
- Performance slowdown on GeForce 6 and 7 series GPUs
- Texture corruption on GeForce 6 series GPUs
- Adds SLI profile for the best out of box experience

OWA
10-04-05, 03:15 PM
No, of course not. There's no conspiracy here. It's all about "Black and White 2", hehehehehehe.
:D

Well guru3d claims to have them all ready. They are on their site and were added today. They list it as Forceware Rel. 80 Official Beta v.81.82. They are published by Nvidia and they have the release highlights as well. However, for some reason they are still not on the nvidia website.
Do you know if people using 7800s are seeing the new control panel? Edit: That is, a control panel that isn't empty. :)

Demanufakture
10-04-05, 03:20 PM
:D


Do you know if people using 7800s are seeing the new control panel? Edit: That is, a control panel that isn't empty. :)

Don't know. I have a 6800 gt oc agp card and Im still using 78.05 drivers. Im going to wait until I see an 8x.xx driver on nvidias website.

Electronic Punk
10-04-05, 03:48 PM
Yeah, definatly 81.82, gonna wait til its get on the ftp first tho.

Morrow
10-04-05, 03:50 PM
1. Are you happy knowing the 7800 GTX, in the state you bought it, was only running to say 90% of it's full capacity with Nvidia sitting on the knowledge that another 10% can be opened up through drivers when ATI launches it's R520...basically we are a pawn in the ATI vs. NV game.

no, the 7800 release driver is based on 70.xx series which again was coded from scratch to use with 6800 cards.

The 80.xx serie drivers however are completely rewritten with the new 7800 hardware in mind, no wonder that nvidia managed to get great performance increases with this special 7800 driver.

jAkUp
10-04-05, 03:51 PM
Its taking too long :(

Electronic Punk
10-04-05, 03:52 PM
I am in no rush to downgrade :p

jAkUp: In the USA are Quake4 and Fear released on the same day? :o