PDA

View Full Version : My Computer

CHEVYMAN_02
10-04-05, 03:15 PM
Ok. Well i had my new computer for a while and I not really happy with it. It is still having trouble. I don't think it is performing like it is suppose to and it keeps cutting off and i replaced the psu but it didn't help. what test can i use to check a see if is running properly?

mx125race
10-04-05, 09:29 PM
you should probably try some more RAM since u mentioned performance issues... for that shutting down problem, pull that little battery out of ur mobo for 20 seconds and pop it back in (make sure the power cord is unplugged). ...in other words reset the CMOS

not sure what else it could be. could be a faulty board...not sure. i hope u got life time warranties on those parts ;)

CHEVYMAN_02
10-04-05, 10:46 PM
well i going to upgrade yet again since Epox is releasing a SLI Mobo for 754 owners

ViN86
10-04-05, 11:30 PM
yea i heard ppl were having problems with the socket 754 ECS boards (my old k7s5a was awesome). id definitely go with epox, my bro has one of their boards and its very nice.

CHEVYMAN_02
10-05-05, 11:41 AM
Yea my ECS mobo really suck. Hopefully EPoX will be better. I have nothing but trouble ever since i change from AGP to PCIe

dandano
10-05-05, 02:18 PM
I've built a couple of computers with the ecs nf4 939 board (NON-sli), and it's been trouble free. I think ECS are okay, in general.

Cutting off? Do you mean power just stops, or is there a blue screen stop error? Did you set Windows *not* to reboot automatically so you can see any blue screen errors?

CHEVYMAN_02
10-05-05, 02:49 PM
it just shuts off altogether. Like when you shut down a computer.

dandano
10-05-05, 03:41 PM
sounds like heat or power

CHEVYMAN_02
10-05-05, 03:58 PM
i replaced my psu and i have my case open to where air can get in. I am going to get a new case for the crappy one i have. I also think it could be the fan and cpu. The fan could be not cooling the cpu. How can i remove the thermal compound for the cpu and fan without messing them up? What solution other that Articlean II can i use?

dandano
10-05-05, 06:41 PM
i replaced my psu and i have my case open to where air can get in. I am going to get a new case for the crappy one i have. I also think it could be the fan and cpu. The fan could be not cooling the cpu. How can i remove the thermal compound for the cpu and fan without messing them up? What solution other that Articlean II can i use?
First make sure you have some thermal compound. ;) Then, after you unhook the heatsink from the motherboard, you twist the heatsink back and forth until the compound gives way. Don't pull up on the heatsink until it is loose! I use rubbing alcohol and a paper towel to clean off the old compound from the cpu and heatsink. Remember that you only need a very thin layer of thermal compund, and make sure it doesn't ooze over the edge.

CHEVYMAN_02
10-05-05, 06:53 PM
ok i will try that first

bugmage
10-06-05, 07:13 PM
the best thing to do first is to minter the gpu and cpu and northbridge befor you go in changing crap, i know i have a heat problem on my comp, becasue the gpu slowly goes to 70 and pop error