PDA

View Full Version : Overheating or not enough power?

t3hl33td4rg0n
10-04-05, 03:09 PM
Hello all.... I seem to be having problems with my computer freezing in the middle of some games for no apparent reason... It happens randomly, I could be playing for a few minutes or even a few hours before the problem even occurs. When it happens, the screen freezes and the system becomes completely unresponsive and I am forced to power cycle... The only things I can think of is either the CPU overheating or my PSU cant handle all the load of the devices. I played UT2004 at max detail with 1280x1024res, max details, 4xTSAA, and 16xAF for a few hours last night and not a single hiccup... But I ran Doom3 an hour later after just installed it, and it played for about 20 minutes before freezing. CoD2 froze once or twice and ut2004 froze maybe once or twice as well. But, I figured my Thermaltake 480W could handle it, even if borderline a little. Other than that my system is completely stable. Can anyone shed some light?

Here is whats in my case:

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI (1.55v 34c idle 36c load)
AMD Athlon64 3700+ San Diego (1.425v 37c idle 44c load)
1GB PC3200 2-2-2-6 Corsair TwinX Set (2x 512MB @ 2.70v)
Thermaltake PurePower 480W Butterfly PSU
Thermaltake Aquarius 3 Water Cooling (attached to PSU)
6 Case Fans (5 have lights)
Dual Cold Cathodes
BFG GeForce 7800GTX PCI-E
Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum
Turtle Beach VideoAdvantage PCI Video Capture
MSI X52-P DVD/CD-RW Combo (52x CD 16x DVD)
Plextor PX-716A Dual-Layer DVD-RW
Western Digital 160GB SATA Drive (2x) No RAID

And heres a screenie of my current system status:
http://www.clanfellowship.net/dragon/temps.jpg

t3hl33td4rg0n
10-04-05, 09:40 PM
Cmon, not a single answer among you intellectuals?

Rytr
10-04-05, 09:47 PM
What does your +12V rail read under load? It looks like you have a lot of load requirements for 12V with all the fans, the cpu, plus the 7800GTX.

Dropping much below 11.5V can give problems, during heavy gaming, even tho in spec.

t3hl33td4rg0n
10-04-05, 09:51 PM
Well, I cant look at the rails unless i take out the PSU, so I'll have to do it tomorrow... What I can tell you is that ive seen the 12v rail in BIOS around 11.30-11.40 if i remember correctly. Be back and double check exact numbers....

t3hl33td4rg0n
10-04-05, 09:56 PM
Yeah, I just checked BIOS since PC Alert doesnt give me an accurate reading... It stayed at 11.49v and jumped to 1.55v every 5 seconds... So this means yet another upgrade then eh?

Rytr
10-04-05, 10:00 PM
No, I was referring to the numbers you see in the bios. If it reads what you quoted at idle or under normal operation that could be your problem. I like to see a solid 11.9 to 12.2 at idle. Under extreme load, like in heavy gaming, that figure can drop considerably. A strong psu that provides good clean supply may only drop 0.10V or less but I have seen a drop of >0.4V on weaker units.
If you could borrow another psu that would be the easiest way to check.

Rytr
10-04-05, 10:05 PM
Yeah, I just checked BIOS since PC Alert doesnt give me an accurate reading... It stayed at 11.49v and jumped to 1.55v every 5 seconds... So this means yet another upgrade then eh?

Could be, at least I would look at correcting this first. Fluctuation of 0.5V is not too bad but the 11.5V reading is not too good. Under extreme load peek your psu could be going out of spec (too low). If you could borrow a stronger psu to try that would be best instead of going out and buying a new unit.
It might not be the problem but from the info you have given it would be a strong suspect, IMO.

t3hl33td4rg0n
10-05-05, 10:39 PM
Heh, if I only knew any gaming/computer enthusiasts... Im the only gamer I know around here lol. I'll probably just buy a new one.

chowells
10-07-05, 05:31 AM
The general rule I've seen is that it needs to stay withing +-5%. Since I only woke up two minutes ago I'll let someone else work out what the allowable values for a 12v rated rail should be :)

Peoples-Agent
10-07-05, 06:28 AM
Just looking at your specs there, you got your Ram clocked perfectly for that brand and type down to every detail, voltage spot on too which I rarely see.

I am more leaned towards power being the issue, but if you have anything overclocked try running it at defaults and see if that helps.
Presuming you don't, 2 optical drives, 2 hard drives, a TV card, a Creative X-Fi and a 7800GTX, not even taking into account the Water Cooling and the fans ....your definately giving that PSU way too much work to do.

I'd be leaning towards 600W plus with atleast x2 12v rails with plenty of juice on them, and if anything it will just set you up ready to make use of that SLi if that's the route your considering.

Definately would be a sound investment.