PDA

View Full Version : PCgamer slammed Quake4 ?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

BioHazZarD
10-04-05, 06:15 PM
Saw this on the Fear official forum so no idea if its true but why would he lie..

Just hit news stands. PC Gamer just slammed Quake 4 with a 70% review. Said it was tired and uninspired. Gee FEAR got a 92% - which one will I be buying

jAkUp
10-04-05, 06:17 PM
wow. that is very suprising.

toxikneedle
10-04-05, 06:19 PM
well at least the fanboys have the excuse of id not making it.

jAkUp
10-04-05, 06:21 PM
If thats true that must be the most medicore score given to such a huge title in recent times... I can't remember the last time PCGamer gave a bad score to a game as big as this.

superklye
10-04-05, 06:23 PM
Didn't Daikatana get a 30% or so? :p

H3avyM3tal
10-04-05, 06:28 PM
I know I won't be getting FEAR. That game doesn't seem to interesting to me.
And I could care less for great AI. A game can be fun even if it's AI isn't doing loops in the air and dodging bullets.

Besides, ID's games always had the atmosphere to make them unique, no?

superklye
10-04-05, 06:39 PM
And I could care less for great AI. A game can be fun even if it's AI isn't doing loops in the air and dodging bullets.

I hate to say it, but I really don't think there is a single "unique" aspect to this game. It LOOKS like Doom 3, it's a generic space-based "kill the alien menance" first person shooter--something that has been done to death and beyond.

Honestly, what did you expect? There really was never anything unique about the Quake series other than the graphics, and this game's graphics were unique over a year ago when it was first released...as Doom 3.

carkis
10-04-05, 06:46 PM
well at least the fanboys have the excuse of id not making it.
Raven has made many high quality games, most of which are my favorites. I haven't given up yet.

aAv7
10-04-05, 06:47 PM

I agree, fear is a " the ring rip-off ", and it looks quite cheesy to me. OOOH a little girl in the dark, big f*ckin deal. So we have the matrix bullet time, mixed with little girls this forum is so "fear"ful of....I dunno man, to each his own..

Quake 4 looks simply awesome, and the fact that pcgamer rated it a 70% doesnt bother me at all, because well....it's pcgamer....these are the same schlucks that gave doom 3 like a 90 or 95%....:rolleyes:

Seoulstriker
10-04-05, 07:13 PM
FEAR official forum? Those wankers don't know sh*t.

toxikneedle
10-04-05, 07:21 PM
Raven has made many high quality games, most of which are my favorites. I haven't given up yet.
I know SOF2 is one of my favorite games of all time, mp wise that is.

Mr. Hunt
10-04-05, 07:34 PM
I agree, fear is a " the ring rip-off ", and it looks quite cheesy to me. OOOH a little girl in the dark, big f*ckin deal. So we have the matrix bullet time, mixed with little girls this forum is so "fear"ful of....I dunno man, to each his own..

Quake 4 looks simply awesome, and the fact that pcgamer rated it a 70% doesnt bother me at all, because well....it's pcgamer....these are the same schlucks that gave doom 3 like a 90 or 95%....:rolleyes:

1.) It has a little girl... that is about its only similarity to Ringu.
2.) Matrix didn't invent slow motion... stop acting like it did.
3.) We get it... you don't like the game.

jAkUp
10-04-05, 07:34 PM

I hate to break it to you, but quake4 looks extremely similar to doom3. It even has the monsters in the closets. Not as much though.

May I ask why Quake 4 looks awesome to you but Fear doesn't? Quake4 has Guns, Monsters, Blood... hmmm I seem to remember alot of that in movies too. To say that "Bullet time" was in the Matrix is not a very good comparision IMO. When have you seen it in an FPS? Never. When have you seen a "physchological thriller" in an FPS? Never.

And quake4? What exactly does it have that Fear doesn't appear to have?

I'm looking forward to both, but I miss admit, quake4 looks a little stale on the SP portion. I've said it before, but I am really looking forward to quake4 MP more than the SP.

I honostly cannot see how you can like FPS games but not like FEAR. Its like liking Choclate, but not liking Choclate Cake. It's just weird.

de><ta
10-04-05, 07:47 PM
I for one am not going to deprive myself of both of these games. Both these games look awesome and I dont give a fluffy rats ass on how PC gamer rates its games. :p

<flame> btw. how long is the gameplay in FEAR supposed to be any way</flame><runs> :D

I cant wait to start playing Quake 4 again with my old Quake buddies. :D

aAv7
10-04-05, 09:11 PM
I hate to break it to you, but quake4 looks extremely similar to doom3. It even has the monsters in the closets. Not as much though.

May I ask why Quake 4 looks awesome to you but Fear doesn't? Quake4 has Guns, Monsters, Blood... hmmm I seem to remember alot of that in movies too. To say that "Bullet time" was in the Matrix is not a very good comparision IMO. When have you seen it in an FPS? Never. When have you seen a "physchological thriller" in an FPS? Never.

And quake4? What exactly does it have that Fear doesn't appear to have?

I'm looking forward to both, but I miss admit, quake4 looks a little stale on the SP portion. I've said it before, but I am really looking forward to quake4 MP more than the SP.

I honostly cannot see how you can like FPS games but not like FEAR. Its like liking Choclate, but not liking Choclate Cake. It's just weird.

It's just, since way back last year when the first batch of screens and info hit the net about f.e.a.r, I just didn't care. The game isn't bringing anything new to the table, it's using cliched themes and typical dx9 style graphics. Nothing is wowing me, not the gameplay, not the graphics, not the theme of the game, the story, nothing. I know it's like THE fps game to have, but I have 0 interest in it. Just me. It's 10 hours of forgettable gameplay in my eyes.

Now don't get me wrong, Quake 4 is gonna be as cliched as they get. But I have hopes for it, and the first 3, I loved, which is what brings my interest in it. I have hopes for the SP portion, and even though I felt doom 3 sucked, I do feel it was, and still is the most impressive looking game on the market, which makes me feel Quake 4 will take a notch further, add in fighting them strogg again, and i'm one excited gamer.

I'm one for innovation and new IP's. Fear does do that, it brings a new franchise for them to eventually milk to the table. The thing is there isnt one aspect that interests me, at least not in the demo(s). I'll buy f.e.a.r, simply because I love fps's and I HAVE to give it a fair shot. And the rest of the year aside from these two games is quite dry for the fps market. Am I looking forward to it though? No. I hope it does rule, I just aint all hyped for it.

Quake 4 to me, seems like something that was made for the fans, for gamers, for sp folks and mp folks, for people looking for some fun.

Fear thus far, comes off to me like a long benchmark. w00t, my rig runs it at an avg of 70fps! I guess it's the style, or maybe the damn oversaturated sequels in the market have begun to make me ho-hum when new ip's come along and I just have yet to realize it.

BUT REST ASSURE, I WILL BUY IT AND GIVE IT A FAIR CHANCE. Now if I put it up for sale here in the sale forum a week later, remains to be seen. :D

anzak
10-04-05, 09:31 PM
It's just, since way back last year when the first batch of screens and info hit the net about f.e.a.r, I just didn't care. The game isn't bringing anything new to the table.

Not bringing anything to the table?

Advanced A.I. that is a HUGE step above anything else we have seen so far.
Slow-mo gameplay.
Real-time soft shadows and massive numbers of particle effects.
A truly creepy environment (unlike Doom 3 which relied on things spawning in front of or behind you)

If F.E.A.R. isn't innovative then what was? Half Life 2? It did a good job of using physics in the gameplay. Doom 3? Wow, stencil shadows and lots of bump mapping.

OWA
10-04-05, 09:50 PM
Hmm, disappointing it was not higher rated but I never go by game reviews or movie reviews for that matter. I still plan to buy both (Q4 and Fear) but I also won't mind it being like Doom 3 (if it is) since D3 is one my favorites.

jAkUp
10-04-05, 10:18 PM
It's just, since way back last year when the first batch of screens and info hit the net about f.e.a.r, I just didn't care. The game isn't bringing anything new to the table, it's using cliched themes and typical dx9 style graphics. Nothing is wowing me, not the gameplay, not the graphics, not the theme of the game, the story, nothing. I know it's like THE fps game to have, but I have 0 interest in it. Just me. It's 10 hours of forgettable gameplay in my eyes.

Now don't get me wrong, Quake 4 is gonna be as cliched as they get. But I have hopes for it, and the first 3, I loved, which is what brings my interest in it. I have hopes for the SP portion, and even though I felt doom 3 sucked, I do feel it was, and still is the most impressive looking game on the market, which makes me feel Quake 4 will take a notch further, add in fighting them strogg again, and i'm one excited gamer.

I'm one for innovation and new IP's. Fear does do that, it brings a new franchise for them to eventually milk to the table. The thing is there isnt one aspect that interests me, at least not in the demo(s). I'll buy f.e.a.r, simply because I love fps's and I HAVE to give it a fair shot. And the rest of the year aside from these two games is quite dry for the fps market. Am I looking forward to it though? No. I hope it does rule, I just aint all hyped for it.

Quake 4 to me, seems like something that was made for the fans, for gamers, for sp folks and mp folks, for people looking for some fun.

Fear thus far, comes off to me like a long benchmark. w00t, my rig runs it at an avg of 70fps! I guess it's the style, or maybe the damn oversaturated sequels in the market have begun to make me ho-hum when new ip's come along and I just have yet to realize it.

BUT REST ASSURE, I WILL BUY IT AND GIVE IT A FAIR CHANCE. Now if I put it up for sale here in the sale forum a week later, remains to be seen. :D

Ok well fair enough, I too hope quake4 is gonna be awesome. Some of my best gaming memories were quake2... I doubt it will be similar to the older quake's, but theres alot of nostalgia involved :)

toxikneedle
10-04-05, 10:53 PM
I don't agree, a lot of games that don't progress that much from their first title still do good in reviews. Max Payne 2 for example was very similar to the original in many ways... but it still did great with reviewers and stuff.

Gabrobot
10-04-05, 10:57 PM
Just want to point out that later in that same thread someone else claims to have gotten a partial scan of the review and it starts out with "We're now ready to put the official stamp of 'Mind bending awesomeness' on Raven software's followup to the ID legend.", which doesn't sound like the beginning of a 70% review. ;)

aAv7
10-04-05, 11:06 PM
Not bringing anything to the table?

Advanced A.I. that is a HUGE step above anything else we have seen so far.
Slow-mo gameplay.
Real-time soft shadows and massive numbers of particle effects.
A truly creepy environment (unlike Doom 3 which relied on things spawning in front of or behind you)

If F.E.A.R. isn't innovative then what was? Half Life 2? It did a good job of using physics in the gameplay. Doom 3? Wow, stencil shadows and lots of bump mapping.

Every game claims to have advanced A.I, I didnt see anything advanced in the demo.

Slow-mo gameplay, max payne?

Truly creppy environment, again, personal tastes, i'm more afraid of demons from hell than 8 year girls...just me tho...

Real Time soft shadows...that run like ass even on sli systems....:rolleyes:
By the time those shadows are playable, 50 other games with better options will be out.

Gabrobot
10-04-05, 11:25 PM
Real Time soft shadows...that run like ass even on sli systems....:rolleyes:
By the time those shadows are playable, 50 other games with better options will be out.

Not to mention that Chronicles of Riddick already had soft stencil shadows...all they're doing in both CoR and Fear is blurring the stencil shadows. You could put that in any game with stencil shadows (hell, we might even find that Quake 4 has them).

ViN86
10-04-05, 11:36 PM
2.) Matrix didn't invent slow motion... stop acting like it did.

thats right, Dave Chappelle showed us how everything is better in slow motion. :lol:

on a more serious note, FEAR is a better choice in my opinion. i think the demo is awesome. its got great graphics, good theme (at least unused) and i havent really played a game with that horror theme. i mean Doom3 had it a little, but it was more aliens and crap. that little girl scared the **** out of me the first time i saw it, i can admit it, heh.

Quake4's opportunity to redeem itself to me is in the MP department. if they can bring a good style MP to the table like quakeIII did (same style of play, as that seems to be the best for MP's) then i would definitely get it. Doom3's MP sucked ass, and everyone knows it. doesnt everyone love shootin ppl with crap loads of lag at 20 fps? i know i loved it...

Acid Rain
10-05-05, 12:47 AM
Doom3's MP sucked ass, and everyone knows it. doesnt everyone love shootin ppl with crap loads of lag at 20 fps? i know i loved it...I love Doom 3 MP. The secret: LAN play and a good stock of game freak friends.

It's very satisfying hearing a clueless buddy in the other room scream as you slink out of a shadow from behind and use the shotty at point blank. This kind of thing is especially excellent after a tense bit of "I hear you...where are you?...I just heard you, I know you're somewhere around-*BOOM*" Heh.:D

No lag problems here. I've always been a lan guy though.

I have a feeling Quake IV will essentially replace Quake 3 in the multiplayer department (well, duh!) as a Quake fan's favorite fragfest. Single player looks like fun too, and I'm loving those mechs and Strogg machinery. Actually, I think I will love the whole thing.

PC Gamer often gives ratings that don't stack up anymore. They reviewed HL2 and didn't mention bugs of any sort, or any problems, really. They just slapped it with a 10, said every aspect was akin to Christ Reborn and shipped the magazine.:rolleyes:

Vagrant Zero
10-05-05, 12:54 AM
Quake 4 > Fear.

Why you ask? Because it doesn't rape my system. :p