PDA

View Full Version : Wow, down playing shimmering...

fatal1ty
10-04-05, 07:26 PM
From here -
http://www.driverheaven.net/dhinterviews/adamfoat2/

Allan: There has been a lot said on sites like 3dcentre about the "shimmering" issue which you released a fix for in Forceware 78.03. Can you explain exactly what this bug was? We have also read the issue isn't yet entirely resolved, and at certain resolutions its more noticeable. Ill be honest, I personally fail to see it on my 7800GTX! Perhaps you could explain to the uninitiated what exactly all the fuss is about.

Adam: This was a bit strange really. More of a fuss about nothing. A bug was highlighted to us, and we fixed the bug, pretty quickly in fact. A new driver was sent out and reviewers proved that the issue was fixed.

Ok, well thats funny - it still exists in Quality mode - he makes it sound like it was a small bug and that it's entirely fixed. Besides that, I was under the impression NVidia was still working on it. It certainly didnt PROVE that the issue was fixed, I recall MikeC saying it drastically reduced the amount of shimmering and fixed it on some locales we saw it on.

aAv7
10-04-05, 08:16 PM
I see it ALOT in Fable and HL2, and I aint doing HQ, I do Quality. Why should I have to make an exception?

OWA
10-04-05, 08:17 PM
The guy probably games at 1600x1200. I never noticed it until people brought it up and then I switched to 1280x1024.

Anyway, it's almost (almost, since the 8x.xx aren't official yet) a moot point since the 8x.xx drivers seem to completely eliminate it.

I see it ALOT in Fable and HL2, and I aint doing HQ, I do Quality. Why should I have to make an exception?
Hmm, I wonder if Quality mode will be changed. It has always had a little b/c of the opts but I do agree that it has gotten worse. I haven't seen anyone mention whether that'll be changed though.

fatal1ty
10-04-05, 08:30 PM
The guy probably games at 1600x1200. I never noticed it until people brought it up and then I switched to 1280x1024.

Anyway, it's almost (almost, since the 8x.xx aren't official yet) a moot point since the 8x.xx drivers seem to completely eliminate it.

Hmm, I wonder Quality mode will be changed. It has always had a little b/c of the opts but I do agree that it has gotten worse. I haven't seen anyone mention whether that'll be changed though.

ya...and according to the UK PR guy, it's a done, fixed issue :rolleyes:

gram_vaz
10-04-05, 08:38 PM
well i agree with the man. it was a big fuss sturred up by the most anal and OCD. (no offense to anyone ;))

OWA
10-04-05, 08:39 PM
ya...and according to the UK PR guy, it's a done, fixed issue :rolleyes:
Right, it appears to be fixed and most of the review sites agree. So what's the issue? I'm kind of amazed that now you're upset that a ATI fansite doesn't have a problem with it either. Why don't you give it up and sell the card instead of being so miserable with such an inferior product (in your eyes). Also, why start another shimmering thread when there is already a long one that you should easily be able to find.

Edit: Here ya go, I used the handy dandy search function and found it for you:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53834&highlight=shimmering

fatal1ty
10-04-05, 09:05 PM
Right, it appears to be fixed and most of the review sites agree. So what's the issue? I'm kind of amazed that now you're upset that a ATI fansite doesn't have a problem with it either. Why don't you give it up and sell the card instead of being so miserable with such an inferior product (in your eyes). Also, why start another shimmering thread when there is already a long one that you should easily be able to find.

Edit: Here ya go, I used the handy dandy search function and found it for you:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53834&highlight=shimmering

Geez lol it's not like I'm making it up, dont get so bothered over information thats publically posted. Also, the shimmering hasnt been addressed in Quality and NV has acknowledged that so Im not sure why this is getting you so stirred...until this interview it was a "known" issue..

aAv7 still sees shimmering, why aren't you calling him a liar? Geez.

ssj4goku887
10-04-05, 09:25 PM
shimmering is ONLY fixed in High Quality mode you will still get shimmering in any other quality setting.

OWA
10-04-05, 10:40 PM
aAv7 still sees shimmering, why aren't you calling him a liar? Geez.
No, I said this in response to his comment addressing the shimmering in the quality mode (edited to correct my missing word "if" though :)):

Hmm, I wonder if Quality mode will be changed. It has always had a little b/c of the opts but I do agree that it has gotten worse. I haven't seen anyone mention whether that'll be changed though.

j0j081
10-05-05, 06:29 AM
so it's more noticeable at 1280X1024 than 1600X1200? that sucks! i usually game at that res because it's the best on my 19 inch crt.