PDA

View Full Version : Is Cpu Overclocking Like Gpu Overclocking???

bugmage
10-05-05, 12:21 AM
Ok so that titles a little bad, i have 3 real interesting questions

amd 3400+
A. Why would a cpu freeze, for example right now i have C and C on and it runs at 33*, i can quick set the clock to 214hz it will run fine, when I hit 15>30, it will run for a few seconds then freeze, when I hit 230+ insta freeze, is this due to heat? power limitations? or just the cpu. C and Cs on so the heat stays below 40 for the few seconds I chage the FSB, It could be power issue I have a 420 but its loaded with stuff, it still should be fine(or so a oline voltage calculator app tells me), and unfortionetly my motherboard wont let me touch voltages, or C is it just the cpu?

B. would lowering my ram from 200hz to 166hz help get a higher clock, or do only memory timeing affect that

C. final question, I just bought water cooling and am using the mc.. -5 stuff from danger denn non conductive, what maintance do i need on a watercooled system

Am_I_Evil
10-05-05, 12:34 AM
Ok so that titles a little bad, i have 3 real interesting questions

amd 3400+
A. Why would a cpu freeze, for example right now i have C and C on and it runs at 33*, i can quick set the clock to 214hz it will run fine, when I hit 15>30, it will run for a few seconds then freeze, when I hit 230+ insta freeze, is this due to heat? power limitations? or just the cpu. C and Cs on so the heat stays below 40 for the few seconds I chage the FSB, It could be power issue I have a 420 but its loaded with stuff, it still should be fine(or so a oline voltage calculator app tells me), and unfortionetly my motherboard wont let me touch voltages, or C is it just the cpu?

B. would lowering my ram from 200hz to 166hz help get a higher clock, or do only memory timeing affect that

C. final question, I just bought water cooling and am using the mc.. -5 stuff from danger denn non conductive, what maintance do i need on a watercooled system

1. i would assume you mean C&Q (cool 'n quiet)
2. turn it off when overclocking
3. make sure you lower your HTT when overclocking (ie: 4x for anything over 200 up to 250, etc...don't go over 1000)
4. that is all i have for now...

-=DVS=-
10-05-05, 02:19 AM
B. If your ram can't handle it , lower it to 166 and try that. Not only timings affect OC.
C. As for watercooling , depends what kind of setup you got , if its closed circuit you need to bleed air out on regular basis or else your reservoir can crack , pump fail ect.

bugmage
10-05-05, 09:28 AM
well i have 2 gig single sticks of kingsten valueram, so that runs at 8 3 3 200hz, would you always get a better cpu clock by running it at 166?

|MaguS|
10-05-05, 09:41 AM
Yeah, Lowering the clock will allow you to go alittle higher on the CPU.

bugmage
10-05-05, 09:55 AM
what about water cooling, do you need to change the cooling fluid every so often?