PDA

View Full Version : BF2 pilots - how do you set your controls for max effectiveness?

Pages : [1] 2

sonaboy
10-05-05, 10:15 AM

jet controls seem very very sluggish to me, even though i have my pitch and yaw sensitivity up to about 3.8, and my mouse sensitivity up to about 2.5 - i cranked all my sensitivities up to the max for a while, but that made the jet flop all over the place, and i couldn't stay stable for bombing runs and ground targets.

has anyone found a good setting that has a pretty stable "dead zone" but will respond very quickly when defensive measures are needed?

i don't use a joystick or any special keyboards in my setup - just a regular old Logitech mouse and a MS keyboard.

any suggestions?

Roliath
10-05-05, 10:53 AM
Honestly, get a joystick.

I use a Saitek Cyborg Evo, and i find it much easier to fly the planes with the default settings. I do adjust the sensitivity a little, but it is way easier than flying with a mouse imo.

CaptNKILL
10-05-05, 10:59 AM
I have yet to even bother using a jet in a ranked game :o

I have 0 kills and 1 death in a jet... I HATE them. The ones in Desert Combat were great, but I cant do crap with the ones in this game, so I've just stayed away from them on ranked servers to avoid killing my score :p

rewt
10-05-05, 01:04 PM
Oh man jetfights are a riot IMO. I've flown around maps the whole match without getting taken down. Using standard controls, although a joystick would be fun I'm sure.

Superfly
10-05-05, 01:07 PM

jet controls seem very very sluggish to me, even though i have my pitch and yaw sensitivity up to about 3.8, and my mouse sensitivity up to about 2.5 - i cranked all my sensitivities up to the max for a while, but that made the jet flop all over the place, and i couldn't stay stable for bombing runs and ground targets.

has anyone found a good setting that has a pretty stable "dead zone" but will respond very quickly when defensive measures are needed?

i don't use a joystick or any special keyboards in my setup - just a regular old Logitech mouse and a MS keyboard.

any suggestions?

cant help ya dude, I only fly Heli's and I do that with mouse and keyboard coz they pwn :-)

Tygerwoody
10-05-05, 01:28 PM
Oh man jetfights are a riot IMO. I've flown around maps the whole match without getting taken down. Using standard controls, although a joystick would be fun I'm sure.
and i hate people like you :mad:

sonaboy
10-05-05, 02:35 PM
Honestly, get a joystick.

I use a Saitek Cyborg Evo, and i find it much easier to fly the planes with the default settings. I do adjust the sensitivity a little, but it is way easier than flying with a mouse imo.

nah - i'm not dropping that kind of money on a peripheral that i'd only use for one small part of one game i own.

i was just asking for settings.

sonaboy
10-05-05, 02:37 PM
I have yet to even bother using a jet in a ranked game :o

I have 0 kills and 1 death in a jet... I HATE them. The ones in Desert Combat were great, but I cant do crap with the ones in this game, so I've just stayed away from them on ranked servers to avoid killing my score :p

well, you could always be a gunner in the bomber - which is really fun, imo.
and if you're paired with a good pilot - you get kill assists by the bundle.
:D

CaptNKILL
10-05-05, 04:06 PM
well, you could always be a gunner in the bomber - which is really fun, imo.
and if you're paired with a good pilot - you get kill assists by the bundle.
Hmm... which ones are those? I didnt even know there were 2 seater jets... I mostly just completely avoided them :o

Is it the bomber position? Or do I fire an MG\missile?

Im good with helicopters btw, I just cant do squat with the jets. Everyone can outmaneuver me in the air, and I cant seem to hit anything on the ground without crashing.

Spliffstarr
10-05-05, 05:12 PM
For me, out of the 2100 kills that i have 1400 of them was with the jets. I have a joy stick but i find it much easier to fly the planes with my keyboard and mouse for some reason. I have my mouse sensitvity set to 2.20. My preffered fighting vechile is mos def the jets. It alot easier to evade enemies and at the same time bomb the hell outta peeps and also shoot down othe jet/helis...

Amuro
10-06-05, 02:06 AM
I use an old Force Feedback 2 joystick from Microsoft. It works great for me. My favorites are the J-10 and Mig-29, the US jets suck in comparison.

Rooster_11
10-06-05, 07:57 AM
I use R for pitch up, and Q for pitch down. It's kinda weird, I know. But it works well for me.

wnd
10-06-05, 09:13 AM
jet controls seem very very sluggish to me -- i cranked all my sensitivities up to the max for a while, but that made the jet flop all over the place

any suggestions?

Practice. I was just horrible with jets at first -- not that I would be spectaculary brilliant now -- always turn either too much or too little. I didn't bother tweaking the control settings too much, I just got used to them. So my suggestion is to restore mouse sensitivity for airplanes back to default, get used to them and get some practice. You'll get used to them. And remember: afterburner is your and your target's guardian angel.

sonaboy
10-06-05, 09:28 AM
Hmm... which ones are those? I didnt even know there were 2 seater jets... I mostly just completely avoided them :o

Is it the bomber position? Or do I fire an MG\missile?

Im good with helicopters btw, I just cant do squat with the jets. Everyone can outmaneuver me in the air, and I cant seem to hit anything on the ground without crashing.

Bombers are on maps: Daquing Oil Fields, Kubra Dam, Gulf of Oman (MEC side only), Operation Clean Sweep.

when riding in the bomber, you're actually the guy who shoots laser guided air to ground missiles. it's the same as being a gunner on a copter - it's the secondary fire button that puts you in the target mode. you basically keep your target on ground assets as you fly over, and the target will "lock" and you fire - and then as you pass, try and keep your mouse target as close to the locked target as possible. even an indirect hit will take out any vehicle on the board instantly.
the only difference between it and the copter gunner is, you don't get to "ride" with the missile after you fire, you remain in the ****pit and use the target to guide the missile all the way in.

the bomber is slightly bigger than the regular jet, and if you look closely at it, it's got WAY more missiles and armaments under it than the regular jets.

AgentOtaku
10-07-05, 12:04 PM
Using my Logitech Rumblepad2 for Heli and Jet controls

the dual analog support is a world of difference and I'll usually be piloting the fully manned BlackHawk that mows down everyone :afro:

wnd
10-07-05, 12:46 PM
-- I'll usually be piloting the fully manned BlackHawk that mows down everyone

And I hope that'll change with the new patch.

AgentOtaku
10-07-05, 01:33 PM
And I hope that'll change with the new patch.

;)

Its not that bad....a blackhawk that isn't manned is just a useless

also keep in mind how slow one is and can easily be shot out of there air

CaptNKILL
10-07-05, 01:50 PM
;)

Yeah, I can take them down really easily with a machinegun and a good place to shoot from. A little cover helps too if a gunner spots me. 9\10 times though, I can take a helicopter down one way or another. Especially if I have a tank... I can hit the damn things with a cannon from half a mile away while moving :D

EDIT: Jets are another thing entirely though... its easier to take them down in 1.03, but they are nearly impossible to take down with anything but a heat seaking missile.

wnd
10-07-05, 01:58 PM

True and true. The problem is that way too often fully manned Blackhawk is used for base- or spawnraping.

The other reason why I dislike Blackhawk is that both MEC and PLA troop transporation choppers are equipped with an ordinary machine gun that is next to useless from a moving vehicle. Seems that it's next to impossible kill the operator of mounted AA with that thing, no matter if you aim at or estimate the movement. He just won't die. I suppose I don't have to say how it works with Gatling...

ralinn
10-07-05, 02:35 PM
I use a mouse and keyboard for piloting... I find it much faster.

I've bound the rear view of the plane on my mouse too, this makes dogfight much easier as you know when someone is following you. Switching to bombs while following someone until close enough for a easy lock kill is a well known and very good tactic so having a rear view as close to your finger as possible is effective against it.

de><ta
10-07-05, 07:16 PM
Jets totally rock. :D

I am getting the hang of helicopters right now but jets are just so much better. The only threat you have is other jets and those ground SAM units.

I simply use the normal default controls: WASD together with the arrow keys. Gives you very precise control ie. I can fly through tree and other areas where most Jet fighters wouldnt dare follow me.

I honestly reckon the jet is way too powerfull in this game. And those big bombers rock, they probably have the best stability and can take two missile hits before going down.

Some hints:
-have a key for looking back. It helps you roll your plane in the right directions and is great for dodging missiles.
-if you have a missile lock on the best way to loose it is to fly around some other aircrafts or heat sources (ie. in gulf of oman)
-the best way to shake some one of your tail is to do a crash bogey, pretend to hit the ground, slow down a lot (maintain speed above 450 though) and as you are about to hit the ground just rise up and use the afterburner. The advantage is that the person following you will always fly past you in such cases.
-also always have it set up in bomb mode. Switch to missile mode only once you are certain of a kill and within range.
-plus the machine gun on the jets totally rock too!

hypertek
10-09-05, 08:17 PM
i just hate jumping in for a ride with a nooob pilot.. u all know what i mean... I didnt htink it was possible for a helicopter to go upside down in flight llol

sonaboy
10-10-05, 10:44 AM
i just hate jumping in for a ride with a nooob pilot.. u all know what i mean... I didnt htink it was possible for a helicopter to go upside down in flight llol

on the official site, they actually say the PLA copter is powerful enough to do a full loop.

anyone actually gone into one and recovered? because i haven't seen it!

Amuro
10-10-05, 10:01 PM
The reason I use a joystick is that I grew up playing space and combat flight sims, so a joystick setup feels very natural to me... plus it also adds to immersion. Flying with a mouse and keyboard just doesn't feel right for me.

BTW, all jets and helis take two missile hits before going down, not just the bombers.

sonaboy
10-12-05, 10:59 AM
The reason I use a joystick is that I grew up playing space and combat flight sims, so a joystick setup feels very natural to me... plus it also adds to immersion. Flying with a mouse and keyboard just doesn't feel right for me.

BTW, all jets and helis take two missile hits before going down, not just the bombers.

nope - blackhawk transports will take 3.