PDA

View Full Version : Unable to set AA for any game (Det 78.01 and 81.84)

Stanley Pain
10-05-05, 11:52 AM
When I change the AA settings via the CP to anything outside of Application Control, the changes do not reflect in any of the games I play. I.E. I get none of the AA settings.

Now if I have it set to Application Control and then set AA via the game, I get AA. I've even tried setting it via RivaTuner, and Nhancer. Nothing seems to work.

This is on a BFG 7800 GTX OC

nVidiaGuru
10-05-05, 12:23 PM
It used to be in the past that if the application and the CP were both set for AA at the same time then AA would be disabled altogether. Make sure you have AA set to off in the application when you try to use the CP AA.

Let us know if that solves the problem

Stanley Pain
10-05-05, 12:41 PM
It used to be in the past that if the application and the CP were both set for AA at the same time then AA would be disabled altogether. Make sure you have AA set to off in the application when you try to use the CP AA.

Let us know if that solves the problem
What happens is quite interesting.

If I set AA on in the CP (to whatever settings I want, lets say 8xSS) and have AA OFF in whatever game I'm playing. I get NO AA in game.

Now the second I enable AA in game (lets say 4xMSAA), I'll get AA in game, but it makes the textures quite blurry and I get a MASSIVE performance hit, as if the game is trying to do both AA at the same time.

If I set it to application control, I get the proper AA using in game settings. I've even tried making application specific profiles using the CP and nHancer. I'm quite baffled by this to say the least.

Games tried:

WoW
COD 2
Doom 3
Dawn of War (original and WA)
DOD + HL2

nVidiaGuru
10-05-05, 04:28 PM
hmmm interesting indeed, ill do some testing on my comp with doom and Hl2

i did notice the AA isnt as good with the 81.84's as it was with the 78.03's, perhaps its just screwed up.

Another bug i noticed with the 80 series drivers is with HL2 Games when you enable gamma corrected AA the frame rate drops a lot. I run with vsnyc on and with gamma correction off i get a constant 60fps but as soon as gamma correction is enabled its drops to a constat 30fps....this was not the case with the 70 series drivers.

time to shower, then ill do some testing and get back at ya

nVidiaGuru
10-05-05, 05:49 PM
Non of my games are giving me any errors like yours is, but i am using the x64 version of the 81.84's. When i set the AA in CP it overrides the application.

some other things you might check on/do

1: check and make sure the "global driver settings" are set to application
2: reinstall the drivers and use driver cleaner in safe mode if you havent already

Stanley Pain
10-05-05, 06:16 PM
Non of my games are giving me any errors like yours is, but i am using the x64 version of the 81.84's. When i set the AA in CP it overrides the application.

some other things you might check on/do

1: check and make sure the "global driver settings" are set to application
2: reinstall the drivers and use driver cleaner in safe mode if you havent already

Yeah I've tried setting the global options to both application control and my desired setting, as well as playing around with various profiles for each game.

I've already formated and re-installed my o/s a few times actually :). Had a major system crash, had to get new mobo/cpu/video card. so I used to oppurtunity to do a fresh re-install