PDA

View Full Version : How to uninstall nvidia drivers?

linuxp
12-30-02, 10:20 PM
This may have been asked long time ago but I just want to know if there is an easier way to remove the old detonator drivers completely? I have tried the Detonator Destroyer but it doesn't help much. It leaves some entries in the registry. When I try to install a new one, it says that on old driver is still installed. I have to go to the registry and remove all that has "nvidia" entry in it. I am not sure if I am doing it right. Any suggestions, people?

Tactics
12-31-02, 12:43 PM
hmmm DD works fine for me but you can also boot into safe mode and remove them by going to add/remove programs in control panel. Also remember to delete the nvidia folder that's left behind. It will be in your root directory or under program files folder.

saturnotaku
01-02-03, 02:15 PM
If you're using Windows 2000 or XP, just boot into safe mode and uninstall the display drivers via control panel, add/remove programs.

That method has always worked great for me. :D

Blakhart
01-17-03, 04:23 PM
Also, running a reg cleaner after deleting the driver in safe mode would be a good idea.

lalittle
01-19-03, 06:28 AM
I personally find that it's best to simply install right on top of the previous drivers (as per the official nvidia instructions.) I used to try uninstalling using all sorts of various methods, but after running into numerous problems that required a bit of work to recover from, I discovered that installing over the previous drivers without any "preperation" produced the cleanest and most problem free installations.

Note that when going from 3x.xx to 4x.xx drivers you need a patch.

Larry