HI

SET UP:
I’m running Windows XP pro SP2 with:

Video Card: Processor: GeForce FX 5600
Video BIOS version: 4.31.20.40.09, IRQ: 16
Bus: AGP 8X, Memory: 256 MB
ForceWare version: 78.01
TV Encoder Type: Integrated (MV)

I have a Panasonic 27 inch TV (Model: CT-27SL14), here is a specifications link: http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Panasonic_CT_27SL14 (via S Video) and a ViewSonic LCD computer monitor (via DVI) both connected to my GeForce FX 5600 video card, to display the same thing using the clone “nView Display Mode” witch is seems to be working but I ‘m having a problem

I have found that the only way to be able to read any text like folders and menu names ect, from my computer desktop displaying on my TV is at 800 by 600 or lower.

Since NVIDIA drivers let me have two different resolution in the “nView Display Clone Mode” I ‘m using 800 x 600 on my TV and the LCD computer monitor to its nature resolution of 1280 x 1204.

DILEMA:
1.) When I have the TV set up as a secondary device, My desktop image doesn’t seems to fit on my TV (The computer desktop seems too big) not matter what resolution I use on the clode mode.

2.) If I set up the TV as a primary device on the clone mode it seems to work fine fitting the computer desktop perfectly on the TV screen, (not matter what resolution I use) but it doesn’t let me set up my LCD resolution any higher than the 800 x 600 resolution of the primary device (TV).

QUESTIONS:
1.) Do you guys know any way for me to have my TV set up as a primary device on the clone mode with an 800 by 600 resolution and be able to set up the secondary LCD computer monitor to its nature resolution of 1208 x 1024, using the latest Nvidia drivers: 78.01?

2.) Or be able to have my TV as a secondary device on the clone mode but be able to make the computer desktop fit the TV screen, using the latest NVIDIA drivers: 78.01?

Thanks

Alex

sharangad
10-06-05, 03:18 AM
Use DualView mode.

garikfox
10-06-05, 03:19 AM
:eek:

QBAN
10-06-05, 09:27 AM
Thanks sharangad,

"Dualview Mode" doesn't center my desktop on the TV either plus it display a clean Desktop on my TV and not my main Desktop from the LCD monitor like on clone mode, so for me to see any open windows or open applications, I have to drag those open items from my lcd monitor to the far right until they show up on my TV.

So "Dualview" is really working for me more like "Horizontal Span" and what I need is a clone of my LCD monitor on my TV because they are in diferent rooms.

Any more ideas? :)

sharangad
10-06-05, 10:03 AM
Thanks sharangad,
So "Dualview" is really working for me more like "Horizontal Span" and what I need is a clone of my LCD monitor on my TV because they are in diferent rooms.

Any more ideas? :)

The thing is only DualView lets you have totally independent resolutions on each display ( and the windows display applet lets you align them anyway, to the left of the right of, top left of and so on .). Horizontal span and vertical span requires both displays having one commong resolution and clone requires both to have the same ( except the Tv which can be at a lower resolution and in pan mode ).

You should be able to drive both displays at 1024x768. The TV out is capable of producing a centred image ( you may need to adjust the screen settings ), but not at 1280 as the TV out only goes so high. If yer TV has a DVI input and supports 720p, you could connect it via DVI and have both displays run at 1280x720.

However if yer monitor is an LCD display, yer options are limited, as the TV out definitely canna go any higher.
Does it have component connectors?

QBAN
10-06-05, 12:16 PM
Thanks sharangad,

I want a clone of my LCD desktop on my TV, not to drag from one screen to the next because the TV is in another room and I don't want to go to my main lcd monitor to open a movie then drag it to the TV desktop and then go back to the other room and watch it

I need a better solution and that is cloning my main Desktop to my TV, I'm using a remote control to control my desktop from my TV so I'm able to open and control applications from my TV.

The nVidia drivers I'm using "78.01" has a feature to set different resolutions for each device on the clone mode, but it doesn't seems to work, so because the features are there I think I could be doing something wrong

My TV resolution is 480i (408 x 704) and has component connectors

sharangad
10-06-05, 01:56 PM
Thanks sharangad,

What you could do, is switch the monitor and the TV set to 800x600 when you need to switch to the TV and then use that. I don't think there's any other way to use yer TV and LCD monitor at the same resolution in clone mode, without panning on the lower res display.

I know 'tis bad, but with current hardware, I don't think there's any other way.

PikachuMan
10-06-05, 02:16 PM
The nVidia drivers I'm using "78.01" has a feature to set different resolutions for each device on the clone mode, but it doesn't seems to work, so because the features are there I think I could be doing something wrong

Everything sounds normal to me.
From my own use of clone mode, the displays must run at identical resolutions for windows. However, It allows you to use a lower resolution for the secondary display, but that display operates in a "pan" mode, ie, it only shows you the portion where your mouse is, and pans as you move your mouse around.

For example, you can use your LCD at 1280x1024, and your TV at 800x600. Obviously, the image produce cannot be identical. You will only see a 800x600 portion of the entire 1280x1024 screen, the portion shown will follow your mouse, but you cannot see the entire desktop.

Of course, 800x600 fits comfortably into 1280x1024, so it'll look the same on both when the TV is the primary display. You best bet might be to use 1024x768 on both displays.

I want a clone of my LCD desktop on my TV, not to drag from one screen to the next because the TV is in another room and I don't want to go to my main lcd monitor to open a movie then drag it to the TV desktop and then go back to the other room and watch it

You know, you can set it up so any movie you open will automatically play fullscreen on the secondary display. Just pick a dualview or span mode, and set the "fullscreen video" menu to "auto select". This still means going back and forth, but easier than dragging..

Maybe ditch svideo completely and get something to convert VGA into component? I've never done that myself though.

QBAN
10-06-05, 03:52 PM
Thanks sharangad & PikachuMan :)

I guess it can not be done, what I can't understand is why NVIDIA has the feature to put the secondary monitor at a higher resolution than the primary on its driver then.

Do you guys know any way for me to create a shortcut that I could press on my pc and will switch the hierarchy on the clone mode?

I have notice that by changing the hierarchy on the clone mode in the NVIDIA driver, each device is set to the same resolution of the primary counterpart that has been selected.

Since PikachuMan say that NVIDIA let me use a lower resolution for the secondary monitor I will always keep my TV at 800 x 600, then by pressing the shortcut the TV will become the primary converting both TV and PC to 800 x 600.

If this is possible all I need to is to map that shortcut into one of my firefly (PC remote) buttons, then from the other room I just press one button on the remote and my TV will be set for me to browse and watch movies, then when back on the PC press another button (mapped with the same shortcut) and everything will be back at 1280 x 1240 :)

sharangad
10-06-05, 04:04 PM
I think the newer 81.48 beta driver (www.nzone.com) supports keyboard shortcuts to change TV out modes, but I think 'tis to switch between the various component output modes proly. Not tried.

QBAN
10-06-05, 04:12 PM
Thanks sharangad,

I actually have 81.48 installed already :)

Any clue where can I find what the shortcut is? or where can I set it up on the driver?