PDA

View Full Version : AMD Athlon 64 Heatsink

mx125race
10-05-05, 07:50 PM
I will soon be hopefully upgrading to an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 512kb L2 cache from newegg : [URL]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=19-103-533[\URL] Only $219!!! People wrote reviews saying they got x2 the FPS on most games than they got with their intel p4's @ 3.0 (i have 3.06). So, I'm really interested in buying this. I'm going to probably sell my p4 Norhwood i have for around $200 or maybe a little more because its a northwood (which is the coolest running one for Intels) and they no longer make them (rare). Dell, which is what i have :(, is custom-made like all Dells so the mobo is connected to the fricken case. I'm going to buy a new case, too. What is great, is that if you buy this processor, you have a choice of some SLI and nForce 4 motherboards that are like $10-20 off the regular price. I'll probably buy this one with a Gigabyte K8NF nForce 4 AMD Motherboard for 73 bucks. Pretty good deal i think.

I'll basically have a new computer after i get this, the mobo, and a new case. My specs should, i hope, look like this. The great thing is, the p4 processor im gonig to sell will pay for almost all of the AMD processor and mobo

Gigabyte K8N Mobo - NEW
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice - NEW
4x512 Corsair Value Series DDR400 - NEW
PNY Verto GeForce 6600 256mb OC - NEW
Antec 400WSL v1.03 - NEW
Soundblaster Live! 24-bit
Dell 17" LCD
Logitech Stero & Gaming Headset 40mm - NEW

Cant wait!

But the title involves the heatsink. This processor comes with a fan and a heat sink for free, but no thermal paste. I'm still not all that great with computers. Is thermal paste used for putting on the heatsink like a glue kind of? lol im n0oB...and are processors fairly easy to install?

thanks

Rytr
10-05-05, 08:01 PM
It probably will come with a thermal pad already attached to the sink. All you have to do is remove the plastic cover from the exposed side of the pad just before you install the HSF to the brackets on the motherboard.
You can completely remove the pad from the sink and apply thermal paste if you want. There are a number of articles on how to apply the paste, just google for them or go to the Arctic Silver site which has a good 'how to' on applying Arctic Silver thermal paste.

ViN86
10-05-05, 08:16 PM
if i were you id pick up some arctic silver and a thermalright XP-90 or XP-120.

however, if youre extremely new to this whole gig, then it would probably be a better idea to go with the stock cooler. im pretty sure as well that there is a pad on it, so it should be ready to install as per instructions. its not hard ;)

if you want to know more about the arctic silver and thermalright products, just post your inquiry here or pm me.

CaptNKILL
10-05-05, 08:17 PM
As you can see, mine overclocked like a champ and Im using the stock heatsink with the stock thermal pad. It works great :)

mx125race
10-05-05, 08:58 PM
ok thanks guys. im hoping i can get this processor with the mobo. the only reason i say hope is so that my dad will i agree (he bought the original Dell in the first places and acts all wierd when i wanna upgrade it...) :/ What really pisses me off is that i opened my comptuer up and its acting really silent all of a sudden. It does this sometimes, but i kind wish it goes away. You'll find out why im getting the processor and mobo in the firstp lace if u read my first post...

ViN86
10-06-05, 12:13 AM
heh i bought all my own hardware, that way no one could really say anything about it ;)

good luck gettin the stuff, it will be a sweet rig. also, if you run into any problems/questions when installing anything, dont be afraid to ask. i could bet theres over 1000 yrs combined experience with these kind of things on this forum. :D