PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista HDCP and LCD

max_5
10-05-05, 09:50 PM
Hi everyone.
I just recently bought a Dell 2405FWP 24" LCD and am a bit worried about it not supporting HDCP (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26703). Because it is basically has full 1080 native resolution I want to be able to play high-def movies on it with my PC.

Because I purchased it only 2 days ago I need to decide whether i should keep it, or return it and wait for HDCP support. Any advice is welcome since it is a big investment and I wouldn’t want to have to replace it in a few years.

Thanks

Riptide
10-06-05, 08:35 AM
This is sort of a big question mark right now... The monitor will have no problems playing non DRM enabled content - which counts for the vast majority of stuff out there now and in the near future. It remains to be seen how far down the road it will be before this HDCP enabled content becomes more of a factor. It's a bit of a gamble and I don't think anyone can tell you for sure one way or another.

If it were me... I wouldn't worry much about it. As long as you are planning on replacing it within "a few years" like you say it probably (don't quote me lol) won't be a big deal.