PDA

View Full Version : Help! Card Advice Wanted

raza_ali
10-06-05, 12:04 AM
Hey All,

I have a P4 1.8 GHz, with an Intel 845GLLY motherboard and 256MB RAM. I recently purchased Inno3D Tornado GeForce MX 4000 graphics card (PCI) in order to play games. But it's not giving me the results I expected. Could someone plesae advice what to do?? I think the card is not good, should I get another card? If so, then which one would be suitable? Please tell me soon so that I can perhaps get it changed or something, I dont want to waste my money :( Thanks

Raza

nVidi0t
10-06-05, 12:30 AM
Put this in general hardware.

I'm guessing the 845GLLY has no AGP slot, so you really wont find much more in the way of graphics cards using the standard PCI bus (non existant for new GPU's). He really should invest in a new motherboard with at least AGP as standard.

CaptNKILL
10-06-05, 01:26 AM
Yeah, an MX4000 is extremely low end these days. Most games from the past 2 years wont even run on one (no pixel shaders). You dont have a whole lot of options if you are limited to PCI cards.

This is by no means a high end card but this is about the best you can do in PCI:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814133134

It should run most games alright... it wont be amazing, but its probably 5x faster than the mx4000.

raza_ali
10-06-05, 04:19 AM
Thanks, so I guess i should get a new board. I'll get one with an AGP slot, would any motherboard with an AGP be fine? And what AGP card is recommended? I've heard GeForce FX 5200 is good?

Raza

saturnotaku
10-06-05, 05:48 AM
Thanks, so I guess i should get a new board. I'll get one with an AGP slot, would any motherboard with an AGP be fine? And what AGP card is recommended? I've heard GeForce FX 5200 is good?

Raza

How much money do you have to spend? If you're extremely strapped, then any AGP board that works with your processor will be fine. As far as video cards, avoid any GeForce FX. For about $110 you can pick up an AGP GeForce 6600, which will be far more powerful.

If you can afford it, just jump right into PCI-Express. Capable boards can be found pretty cheaply, and NVIDIA cards based off the GeForce 6600 series chipset are native PCI-E and therefore cheaper than their AGP counterparts.

Good luck.

raza_ali
10-06-05, 09:26 AM
I think I can get the GeForce 6600, thanks for the advice! By the way, is it just "GeForce 6600" or something like GT etc? First I'll have to get the board too though :p and if any board is fine then I guess I'll get any one with an AGP slot. I'll check out on the PCI Express boards and cards as well, and see if they are within my budget. Just in case, could you please reccomend me a motherboard+processor+card for PCI Express as well? Thanks!

Raza