PDA

View Full Version : Correct forceware install? I don't get it.

acrh2
10-06-05, 04:21 AM
I've come back from the ATI camp several months ago and I can't figure out how to do it right.
I've done it right on two occasions, but every time, it's a struggle and it doesn't work from the first time.
What I do is uninstall display driver from the control panel, then optional driver cleaner, then reboot, then cancel out of hardware detection prompts, then install new drivers and reboot.
The latest problem is with 81.84. These are wonderful drivers, so much better than the older 78.03 in terms of IQ and fps (gained 8 fps in doom3 1280x1024 4xaa, and it seems more responsive), but now the forceware detects two displays when I only have my CRT connected. It sets them both to the crt, or if I unstall the other one, it detect a "default monitor". Because of this, I have annoying tray tool popping up every time I reboot. How the hell do I get rid of this second ghost display?

macatak
10-06-05, 05:51 AM
I think the best way is to remove the existing driver via the add/remove programs, reboot into safe-mode, run driver cleaner, reboot, cancel wizard, install drivers.
Sometimes during the installation i need to reinstall the monitor driver

acrh2
10-06-05, 07:13 AM
I think the best way is to remove the existing driver via the add/remove programs, reboot into safe-mode, run driver cleaner, reboot, cancel wizard, install drivers.
Sometimes during the installation i need to reinstall the monitor driver

That's pretty much what I did.

Grestorn
10-06-05, 09:56 AM
DO NOT USE ANY DRIVER CLEANER!!!!

It's neither neccessary nor a good idea.

Usually it's enough to just install the new driver over the existing one. nVidia knows what they're doing in their own installer, you can trust them to do it right.

In very rare cases there might arise certain problems, usually related to old driver settings and profiles from the old driver still active in the new installation. So if you run into any problem, just use the control panel to uninstall the driver, reboot and reinstall the driver. That will make sure that all settings are cleared out (in fact a completely new branch is used in the registry for the new settings if you do that).

But again: do not use DriverCleaner! It can screw your system so you can't install any driver at all anymore!

acrh2
10-06-05, 10:25 AM
DO NOT USE ANY DRIVER CLEANER!!!!

It's neither neccessary nor a good idea.

Usually it's enough to just install the new driver over the existing one. nVidia knows what they're doing in their own installer, you can trust them to do it right.

In very rare cases there might arise certain problems, usually related to old driver settings and profiles from the old driver still active in the new installation. So if you run into any problem, just use the control panel to uninstall the driver, reboot and reinstall the driver. That will make sure that all settings are cleared out (in fact a completely new branch is used in the registry for the new settings if you do that).

But again: do not use DriverCleaner! It can screw your system so you can't install any driver at all anymore!

Yep, I think I myself have said that before. But WHY AM I GETTING A NONEXISTING MONITOR SHOW UP AS A SECONDARY (the primary and only monitor is copied into the secondary and I can't get rid of it).

Grestorn
10-06-05, 01:56 PM
Yep, I think I myself have said that before. But WHY AM I GETTING A NONEXISTING MONITOR SHOW UP AS A SECONDARY (the primary and only monitor is copied into the secondary and I can't get rid of it).
Well, perhaps your monitor supports a digital AND analog input on the same DVI cable? That might explain it...

But anyway, why is this a problem? Deactivate the monitor you don't want to use, and everything is set...

acrh2
10-06-05, 02:16 PM
You don't understand. This never happened before.
The monitor is a crt, and it's purely analog.
This happened right after the new forceware install.
It's a bug.
I can't disable it. It keeps popping back up.

Acid Rain
10-07-05, 11:58 PM
DO NOT USE ANY DRIVER CLEANER!!!! So if you run into any problem, just use the control panel to uninstall the driver, reboot and reinstall the driver. That will make sure that all settings are cleared out (in fact a completely new branch is used in the registry for the new settings if you do that). I do it this way every time, and it has NEVER screwed up. EVER. In fact, when going back to an older driver it asks you if you'd like to overwrite the newer file that is still present after the control panel uninstall of a newer driver. You just click yes to overwrite when prompted and it does so. If going to a newer driver from an older driver, the prompts don't come up because it automatically overwrites the files when the ones you are installing are newer.

Easy and, so far, flawless.

$n][pErMan
10-08-05, 12:24 AM
Care to elaborate?? I have never had a problem with driver cleaner... been using it for almost a year now.

Shaitan
10-08-05, 08:49 AM
I always install over drivers in the same driver series. I resort to using Driver Cleaner ONLY if a problem occurs. And I only had those back in the 60s series nVidia drivers. And then only rarely.

Alot of peeps were having probs back then cause they were nOObs. It is alot easier to suggest to always use Driver Cleaner, than to try to help a myriad of players fix their install scrooowup.

Mathesar
10-08-05, 10:50 AM
I've always uninstalled nvidia drivers from control panel , reboot , cancel wizard, then install new drivers, Never had a problem.

"Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove."

quote taken from http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_installation_hints.html

j0j081
10-08-05, 08:48 PM
I've been using Driver Cleaner since it came into existence and love it. A lot of people around here and on other various boards swear by it to so I think it's just a matter of preference. Every time I change drivers I like to get as close as possible to what it would be like with a clean install of Windows. I believe Nvidia themselves have commented on occasion about their uninstaller not removing everything.

mobilenvidia
10-08-05, 10:33 PM
nVidia installer/Uninstaller doesn't remove the nVidia driver files from the Windows system dirs.
It just removes them from being used in the Registry.

Drivercleaner will remove all the nVidia driver files from Windows, a good way to ensure the driver is actually gone.

To get the correct monitor to display properly on install, uninstall driver first.
Now reboot, USE the 'New device found' wizard to install the nVidia display drivers, just point it to where the driver is.
After the driver is installed, windows will detect a new device (monitor) let windows find the driver for this, or point it to where you have the monitor drivers (windows will normally install it's own drivers correctly)

PikachuMan
10-08-05, 10:38 PM
I'm not sure if this is related, but I have double entries for each display in my device manager. (IE I have two analog displays connected, with 4 entries total in the device manager).

mobilenvidia
10-08-05, 11:20 PM
The extra enties are for the video outs that the GPU can do.
ie Monitor, TV, DVI etc, they still show up even though they might not be connected.
Just ignore these as when they are connected they should work, so don't remove them.

TierMann
10-08-05, 11:32 PM
The extra enties are for the video outs that the GPU can do.
ie Monitor, TV, DVI etc, they still show up even though they might not be connected.
Just ignore these as when they are connected they should work, so don't remove them.

Then why are there 4 instead of 3? What's the "etc"? I have 2 monitors connected and it shows four in device manager. 2 plug and plays and 2 defaults. It's a bug that's been around for a while now. Extra monitors show up and most of the time they don't give you any problems. Some people have luck uninstalling them or removing the registry entries but for some they just come back anyway. For me they don't cause a prob so I just ignore them.

[pErMan']Care to elaborate?? I have never had a problem with driver cleaner... been using it for almost a year now.
On occasions where you just run driver cleaner without uninstalling first, windows will still try to boot with the driver and either bluescreen or just reboot. I've had that happen once when I was tired, but safe mode still did the trick.

mobilenvidia
10-08-05, 11:47 PM
Then why are there 4 instead of 3? What's the "etc"? I have 2 monitors connected and it shows four in device manager. 2 plug and plays and 2 defaults. It's a bug that's been around for a while now. Extra monitors show up and most of the time they don't give you any problems. Some people have luck uninstalling them or removing the registry entries but for some they just come back anyway. For me they don't cause a prob so I just ignore them.
The 4 you see are the 4 outputs that your card can output to (not all at once of course)
I assume one being your desktop Monitor.
2) another CRT
3) TV
4) could be HDMI, HDTV, or DVI, i'm not too sure on this as I don't have a digital out Only the first 3.
It's not a bug it's the way it's supposed to work, just leave it, if it gives no problems.

OWA
10-09-05, 11:48 AM
I always install over the previous driver with newer drivers. It's fast and painless and keeps most of my settings intact. I will uninstall the current driver if I'm going to be installing an older driver though since the nvidia install routine usually makes me do that anyway.

I don't use drivercleaner. I gave it a shot a long while back and ended up in a state that was hard to recover from. Essentially, I think it deleted too many files but it was probably my fault (i.e. I probaby didn't use it correctly or something). Since installing over the previous always works me, I just do it that way. It's easier and quicker.

As far as the monitor problem, I did have something weird happen initially and I'm not sure how I solved it. I don't think I had the exact same issue though since I didn't get any pop-up or anything. I discovered the problem because I kept getting 60hz as the refresh rate in games. I tried running refreshforce and it said that the "default monitor" was active and that could cause issues. I can't remember how I solved all that though. I think the first thing I tried was deleting all the monitors in the device manager. That may have done it but I'm not really sure.