PDA

View Full Version : A bunch of new Oblivion screenshots

Pages : [1] 2

msxyz
10-06-05, 04:54 AM
http://www.gamersreports.com/index.php?action=media&type=stories&sid=3753&id=3753&videos=0

:drooling:

Tygerwoody
10-06-05, 07:50 AM
I dont care what anyone says.... all of these Xbox Screenshots look great.... but still don't hold a candle to the PC screenshots

Veger
10-06-05, 08:09 AM
They look fantastic. Playing this on a 92" 16:9 widscreen projector setup is going to be gaga. I cannot wait.

msxyz
10-06-05, 08:21 AM
I dont care what anyone says.... all of these Xbox Screenshots look great.... but still don't hold a candle to the PC screenshots
Yep, even ome people on the official forums are beginning to worry.

I've pre-ordered Oblivion both for the Xbox360 and the PC.

Expect a close comparison (I hear that with the XBox360 it's possible to save screenshots) as soon as I have them both.

Edge
10-06-05, 12:02 PM
I'm pretty sure most of those shots are from the PC version. Only a few of them are actually in the Xbox 360's native resolution (1280x720), the rest are 1024x576, which isn't an HDTV standard. The strongest evidence of this is between the different UIs: this screen (http://www.gamersreports.com/hosted/media/3098a8925c2f9f9/2.jpg) is a 1280x720 image where you can see the L and R trigger indicators on the menu screen, so it's obviously from the Xbox 360 version; yet this screen (http://www.gamersreports.com/hosted/media/3098a8925c2f9f9/8.jpg) is at 1024x576 and doesn't show any L/R buttons, indicating it would be from the PC version.

I would like to see how the Xbox 360 version compares to the PC version in a direct comparision, though. Morrowind on the Xbox suffered from a fairly short draw distance and low resolution compared to the PC version, it would be interesting to see if the Xbox 360 version of Oblivion holds up against the PC version this time around.

|MaguS|
10-06-05, 12:09 PM
All I have to say is that the game could be releasing anytime between now and Nov 22 since they announced that its a launch title for the xbox360. Lets hope PC Version goes out the door before the x360 launch!

Mr. Hunt
10-06-05, 12:14 PM
Yay... can't wait to be playing about about 10 fps (if I am lucky)... but I don't care... it will run great in the future... and that is all that matters :). And I GOTTA HAVE MY MODS!

msxyz
10-06-05, 12:58 PM
This bootleg video filmed during X05 caused quite a stir in the official forums:

http://www.gigashare.com/files/embed/601886202.html

Compared to the E3 trailer (which ran on a high end PC) it seems that it lacks of soft shadows and the animations look stiff. Honestly I don't know what's going on. It may be a case of Microsoft pressing the developers to have something playable no matter what the state of the code is.

Despite the low quality of the footage itself there's a huge and evident gap bewteeen what was shown in Amsterdam two days ago and the E3 presentation.

CaptNKILL
10-06-05, 01:31 PM
Those are some pretty sweet shots... deffinitely a game I'll have to see in motion though before I decide how good it looks. The water in this shot http://www.gamersreports.com/hosted/media/3098a8925c2f9f9/9.jpg looks nice but I dont know if its very realistic (or reflective)... everything in that shot looks nice but not quite right. Like the lighting isnt even close to being right. I'll have to see it in motion though.

And I *REALLY* hope I can run the game with at least 8x AF because the lack of anisotropic filtering in those shots is absolutely HORRID. I cant believe people actually take screenshots of games without any AF... the textures look great up close but once they get out about 15 feet they ALL turn to mud :o

gmontem
10-06-05, 02:00 PM
Agreed. Even at 720p PC shots will still look better because you can jack up the AA and AF, the latter which the XBox 360 shots could use.

Subtestube
10-06-05, 02:18 PM
I must say - gorgeous, but I'm getting a little bothered by the lack of objects doing real time shadowing. I'm surprised at how much I'm noticing it now - games like D3, and even Battlefield 2 (which doesn't do unified light and shadow, but at least all the characters are casting!) have really spoiled me in that regards.

Cali3350
10-06-05, 04:54 PM
I must say - gorgeous, but I'm getting a little bothered by the lack of objects doing real time shadowing. I'm surprised at how much I'm noticing it now - games like D3, and even Battlefield 2 (which doesn't do unified light and shadow, but at least all the characters are casting!) have really spoiled me in that regards.

They do do real time shadowing in the PC version.

CaptNKILL
10-06-05, 05:25 PM
They do do real time shadowing in the PC version.
I dont know, there arent very many shadows in the videos\shots we have seen. That 20 minute trailer showed some at the very beginning but nothing else had real time shadows throughout the rest of the entire trailer.

EDIT: Ok, I just saw that there are shadows in the womans book store... they look great too :)

Subtestube
10-06-05, 05:40 PM
The problem with the woman's bookstore is that (From what I remember) there's one shadow casting light in the whole store. None of the downstairs ones do. Also, in the dungeon (at the beginning), you'll notice that the characters only start casting shadows when they enter the cell - again, only certain lights are doing it. I'm still hoping for full light and shadow, especially indoors, but everything I see at the moment is leading me to believe that it might not happen. I don't know who I'm kidding anyhow, I probably won't be able to run the game with full shadows - my system would probably cry.

gmontem
10-06-05, 05:41 PM
The official site has a PC screen shot of your cell here (http://static.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ob_pc/obliv06B.jpg). It's the same one shown in the 20min video minus the shadows. That doesn't prove anything but here's hoping the game's max detail setting for shadows renders shadows on all objects and characters.

CaptNKILL
10-06-05, 06:11 PM
Also, in the dungeon (at the beginning), you'll notice that the characters only start casting shadows when they enter the cell - again, only certain lights are doing it.cry.
Yeah, I noticed how much the frame rate dropped when they all entered the cell too... it was VERY noticeable, even in a video.

Lets hope the game runs smooth and looks good in the end... I've got my fingers crossed :o

msxyz
10-07-05, 05:42 AM
A guy in the official forum was at X05 and played the game.

Overall, his impressions are positive: it feels and plays like Morrowind

Apparently the Xbox version has a nearer draw distance and the dreaded fog of war. A developer confirmed that they're trying to increase the draw distance without framerate drops as we speak.

Also it seems that the animations are another weak point, but the range of moves and actions performed by NPCs should outweight (at least in the opinion of who played the actual game) the not perfectly smooth transitions.

SH64
10-12-05, 11:16 PM
Ok i dont wanna make this sounds big so i'll just post it here.

it looks like Oblivion have been delayed a little. thats not confirmed though.

Various online outlets have cited that Take 2 has slightly delayed the game from its original Nov 22nd date to December 5th to give it extra polishing. The GameStop product page has now also been updated to reflect this change, but this is still unconfirmed.
http://worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=29039&mode=thread&order=0

CaptNKILL
10-13-05, 08:47 AM
Take2? These games have always been published by Bethesda\Zenimax... at least in the US. What does Take2 have to do with anything?

msxyz
10-13-05, 09:03 AM
They publish the game outside US. They're a decent company with a good presence in Europe.

Serious SAM, Max Payne, GTA and usually all Rockstar games are published in Europe by Take2

CaptNKILL
10-13-05, 09:13 AM
They publish the game outside US. They're a decent company with a good presence in Europe.

Serious SAM, Max Payne, GTA and usually all Rockstar games are published in Europe by Take2
Ah ok, thats what I thought... Ive played some really old games published by Take2 so I wasnt sure if they were an outside-US publisher or not.

Oh well, its not a big deal really. This is the kind of game Id wait longer for to get a more polished product.

msxyz
10-13-05, 09:23 AM
The italian Take2 site already includes informations about Oblivion. It looks like the relase date is drawing near.

It will come on a DVD and it's rated by the PEGI as 16+ (Mature content)

Peoples-Agent
10-13-05, 09:34 AM
I dunno, I can smell "Vampires" all over again if this is released too soon.

gmontem
10-13-05, 12:14 PM
It will come on a DVD and it's rated by the PEGI as 16+ (Mature content)
Anyone know if the US will be getting a DVD release? I wonder about this considering Serious Sam 2's publishers appear to be similar to Oblivion's -- 2K in the US, Take2 in Europe, with 2K cancelling the DVD release of Serious Sam 2.

msxyz
10-13-05, 01:08 PM
I dunno, I can smell "Vampires" all over again if this is released too soon.The PC version is rumored to be finished and gathering dust as Bethesda fights to have an acceptable framerate on the hastened Xbox port.

The beta version shown at X05 apparently didn't have soft shadows and the render distance was far lower than seen in the PC screenshots. Yet, framerate was described by many indipendent sources to be "choppy".