PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

Ninjaman09
10-06-05, 10:01 AM
For those of you DS owners out there, I doubt I need to recommend this to you. But if you haven't already run screaming to the stores to pick this up, DO IT NOW. This game is freaking fantastic. It's the most fun I've had with a Castlevania game since Symphony of the Night, and is easily far superior to the trio of Castlevanias on the GBA. The "Magic Seal" thing is kind of gimmicky and annoying (you only get like 2 seconds to input the seal after defeating a boss) but it's completely insignificant when compared to the game's strong points. Graphically it is FANTASTIC. It looks better than SotN did. There is no slowdown at all.

The Soul system from Aria of Sorrow is much improved (you can carry up to 9 of each soul now, and each additional soul powers up the enemy ability), and you can even choose to consume souls you don't use to upgrade your weapons! The two-handed weapons are now devastating compared to single-handed (and the animation looks awesome). There are many more weapon types and each has a significant strategic advantage.

The sound and music is fantastic as well. If you have a good set of headphones (I'm still in awe of how good my Sennheiser HD-590s sound), make sure to use them. There are no voices (which is a good thing in my opinion) but the effects are crystal clear and the music sounds excellent.

I'm not far enough into the game to tell how decent the story will be but that's never really been a selling point for a Castlevania game anyway. I will say that it seems that Konami is interested in fleshing out the characters from Aria of Sorrow as there is a lot of inter-character relationship related dialogue, and each character has a specific role in the game instead of just being a random encounter while exploring the castle.

The touch screen is used sparingly and frankly I would have been happy if they had just ignored it. I don't like using my fingers on it because it just makes smudge marks, so while fighting a boss you have to have your stylus ready (like sitting on your lap or something) because once you defeat it you have only a couple of seconds to input the Magic Seal that kills it. The only other use for the screen is to destroy block barriers once you get the Balore soul and to set targets for your familiars to attack (they will randomly select targets otherwise). To do this you essentially have to taken your hand off the command buttons and pick up the stylus which is hardly a desirable thing to do in the middle of combat. I cannot stress enough, however, that these complaints are vastly insignificant compared to the game's high points. I just wanted to clarify for anyone who was wondering.

Zelda_fan
10-06-05, 12:12 PM
I need to get this game. I've beaten the Hard campaign on Advance Wars DS 2 times (going on the third time for the third medal) and even though it is still fun, I'm looking for something new. I've been so busy I honestly didn't even know this came out, but I'll be sure to pick it up.

Ninjaman09
10-06-05, 01:58 PM
It's so great, you'll love it if you even have the slightest interest in Castlevania games.

Zelda_fan
10-12-05, 02:33 PM
oh my goodness, I love this game. I don't have a lot of time right now, so I'll just say that out of 10, I'd give it a 9.8. The obvious flaw is that seal drawing thing (I agree with Ninja - it is really annoying), but it really isn't bad at all if you have your stylus set out while fighting a boss, and the rest of the game is near flawless.

marqmajere
10-12-05, 09:30 PM
I just bought a DS tonight with Dawn of Sorrow. Charging this thing is going to drive me nuts.