PDA

View Full Version : 7800GTX and H.264 / WMV-HD acceleration

harshw
10-06-05, 11:42 AM
NVidia said that it would enable H.264 acceleration via pixel shaders for the 7800GTX. Perhaps it would also enable better WMV-HD processing via the same route.

Does anyone have any idea when this will be in the drivers ?

|MaguS|
10-06-05, 11:56 AM
I think they said they will implement it when its actually used more commonly, Right now theres not much common use of it.

Demigod
10-06-05, 01:39 PM
why do they need better wmvhd works perfectly fine on my gtx

sharangad
10-06-05, 02:02 PM
WMV HD doesn't work on the AGP 6 series cards with working purevideo silicon and the Microsoft beta patch.

It did take less CPU, but there was an audio synch issue ( with AGP 6 series cards such as the 6600). The 81.84 drivers claimed to have fixed the problem, but what it appears that nVidia have done is disable DXVA WMV HD on the AGP GF6. At least it has on my 6600 GT. Now the CPU utilisation is 100% and the video tends to freeze occasionally. However it does play back properly now. Any other activity such as going in or out of full screen mode causes it to drop frames.

Unless someone with an AGP 6600 and a slower CPU can tell me otherwise ... ( or the 81.84 driver install is screwed up on my machine. )

harshw
10-06-05, 08:54 PM
why do they need better wmvhd works perfectly fine on my gtx

The GF7800 GTX can apparently do better WMV-HD accel, Nvidia claimed to do it via pixel shaders. Even ATI is saying the H.264 support for the X1800 series will be out "soon". It's a bit sad that you pay 500 euros for a top of the range card and they wont even give you proper video decoding software.

Since Anandtech compared AVIVO and PureVideo and judged PureVideo to be the better solution, it would be a real PR coup for NVidia to come out with a better accelerated video codec package. Are you listening NVidia ??????

F_L_C
10-07-05, 03:03 AM
No chance in hell it'll be anytime soon. Why? Ask any 6800 owner about their crippled OVPs and how long we've been waiting for some relief.:mad:
Be thankful that your OVP works as advertised for WMV-HD.

harshw
10-07-05, 06:58 AM
No chance in hell it'll be anytime soon. Why? Ask any 6800 owner about their crippled OVPs and how long we've been waiting for some relief.:mad:

Certain versions of the 6800 chip have a hardware bug in the video processor and will never be able to play HW accelerated video the way other NVidia chips can

:(

Peoples-Agent
10-07-05, 07:35 AM

Yeah man, tell me about it.
I was glad when my 6800GT bit the dust, I overclocked it till it went pop and RMA'ed it! Got a 7800 in replacement and atlast I can enjoy decent video playback. Atleast the 7 series has working hardware acceleration of any sort.

sharangad
10-07-05, 11:55 AM
Yeah man, tell me about it.
I was glad when my 6800GT bit the dust, I overclocked it till it went pop and RMA'ed it! Got a 7800 in replacement and atlast I can enjoy decent video playback. Atleast the 7 series has working hardware acceleration of any sort.

Yeah but the thing is the 6600 GT has working PureVideo silicon. They've disabled it on that as well with 81.84. In fact with the WMV DXVA patch applied 1080p clips are unwatchable.

sponken23
10-21-05, 10:03 AM
WMV HD doesn't work on the AGP 6 series cards with working purevideo silicon and the Microsoft beta patch.

It did take less CPU, but there was an audio synch issue ( with AGP 6 series cards such as the 6600). The 81.84 drivers claimed to have fixed the problem, but what it appears that nVidia have done is disable DXVA WMV HD on the AGP GF6. At least it has on my 6600 GT. Now the CPU utilisation is 100% and the video tends to freeze occasionally. However it does play back properly now. Any other activity such as going in or out of full screen mode causes it to drop frames.

Unless someone with an AGP 6600 and a slower CPU can tell me otherwise ... ( or the 81.84 driver install is screwed up on my machine. )

I have a AGP 6600GT and I noticed the same thing. The patch doesn't do anything with the newer drivers and with older drivers it just screw things up.

sharangad
10-21-05, 10:27 AM
I have a AGP 6600GT and I noticed the same thing. The patch doesn't do anything with the newer drivers and with older drivers it just screw things up.

Thanks for confirming that. I guess nVidia will officially drop support for WMV HD on AGP 6600s or mebbe re-release acceleration when the patch officially comes out with WMP11 or something.

knutinh
10-24-05, 06:03 AM
Does this also apply to other players (ie media portal?)

I have been fiddling with drivers and purevideo for a while on my 6600gt, and I can only get "the eye" for DVD and real-time tv streaming. No divx, no hd *.ts streams, no wmv-hd... ?

Further, my excelent dvb-t digital video is stuttering when using purevideo.

regards
Knut Inge

sharangad
10-24-05, 08:24 AM
Does this also apply to other players (ie media portal?)

I have been fiddling with drivers and purevideo for a while on my 6600gt, and I can only get "the eye" for DVD and real-time tv streaming. No divx, no hd *.ts streams, no wmv-hd... ?

Further, my excelent dvb-t digital video is stuttering when using purevideo.

regards
Knut Inge

I've not had any problems with MPEG-2 files or DVDs. I used to have stuttering issues with DVDs with older drivers. However, they're completely gone with the current 81.85 and the recently released PureVideo decoder upgrade (1.02-177). I have tried some HD MPEG-2 clips and they play back flawlessly with low CPU utilisation.

I don't actually use DVB, my PVR uses a Hauppauge PVR-250 connected to a cable box via composite video, so I canna comment. But all the .ts files I've tried ( high def stuff downloaded off the net ), play back flawlessly.

You could try the clips at:

http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/ENG/Download/Demo.aspx

to see if the play back.

If the nVidia "eye" doesn't appear while playing back .ts files, then the PureVideo decoder isn't being used. You've proly got other decoders installed which can play 'em back and they're being preferred for .ts playback. You could download the free edition of Zoom Player and bump up the nVidia Transport stream filter and the two decoders (audio and video) and lower the merit for other decoders.

r2d2d3d4d5
10-24-05, 02:53 PM
Have you guys tried these:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1116

I'm still hoping for MPEG-2 encoding accel (on my 6800). Has anyone heard anything on that? Purevideo doesn't seem to support that.

Tomato
10-25-05, 03:54 PM
So do those drivers work 4 real with a 7800? Cause if they do I am so getting them for quicktime HD

harshw
11-28-05, 04:39 PM
So does the new Rel 80 driver or the new PureVideo decoder offer any tangible H.264 support apart from whispers in README files and release notes ?

:-)

deimos47ca
11-30-05, 01:57 AM

Maybe I am just special (rudolf)

I recall I had purevideo (trial) installed about a month ago, first with 78.xx drivers and then with 80's. I tried playing some MPEG2... negligible difference.. .still around 10% CPU, but the deinterlacing seemed better. Likewise tried XVID and DIVX, and the performance was identical. I tried some of those WMV-HD movies.. the one with the ducks flying, a trailer for batman begins, etc... maybe its just my magic, but even with my 6800 AGP, the CPU went down from locked at 100%, to around 60-70%. Dunno, if that's as low as its supposed to go, but it seemed to work to me.

Incidentally, Purevideo software is just a DXVA application, hence you can use it on any hardware. If the drivers and hardware support DXVA then you will get hardware acceleration. WORST case, you always get the better codecs and filters provided, so even when you have old GF4MX, you'll still get better video quality while using CPU.

However, dont get angry if some old MPEG1 video still looks crappy. No amount of filtering will help if you just have bad quality videos.

deimos47ca
11-30-05, 03:18 AM
somebody should sticky this:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51501

I just reinstalled purevideo, and then when I loaded wmv-hd I was like WTF(cheers)

now I am like (snowcool)

radekhulan
12-01-05, 06:54 PM
Seems that ATI has introduced H.264 encoder (not decoder) in their beta driver. Is NVIDIA working on this as well? That would be very nice..

harshw
12-02-05, 05:06 AM
Seems that ATI has introduced H.264 encoder (not decoder) in their beta driver. Is NVIDIA working on this as well? That would be very nice..

To be more precise ... they have a transcoder which enables one to convert from one format to another

Decoding H.264 is within the range of high end CPU power. It is encoding or transcoding that is real slow. I suppose that ATI's dynamic branching support helps them use the X1800XT as a stream processor, being able to handle matrix & vector arithmetic faster than any general purpose x86 CPU out there. Nvidia can do the same ( hopefully ) with their 7800 series. But there are complications when you use the GPU to do stream processing - it's not all that straightforward.

radekhulan
12-02-05, 06:32 AM
To be more precise ... they have a transcoder which enables one to convert from one format to another

Decoding H.264 is within the range of high end CPU power. It is encoding or transcoding that is real slow.

According to tests, el-cheapo ATI X1300 should transcode H.264 stream 5x faster than FX-57 CPU... Nice stuff! I want to have this on my 2x7800GTX as well! :-)

harshw
12-18-05, 07:53 AM
Read anandtech's blurb about Catalyst 5.13 (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2645)

ATI x1800/x1600 owners now get a FREE H.264 accelerated codec, courtesy of Cyberlink + ATI, as well as improved MPEG-2/DVD decoding. Is there anyone here from NVIDIA who can tell us what the company's plans are for H.264 & G70 owners ? And whether NVIDIA plans to make PureVideo free to download now ?