PDA

View Full Version : What to expect from x2 3800+

Tr1cK
10-06-05, 02:48 PM
Well my Winchester 3500+ gave up on me. That thing has been flakey since day 1. I believe the memory controller popped on it. Which means...

x2 3800+ on the way!

I plan on trying to clock it at 240htt with a 166 ram divider to keep the ram at 400. *crosses fingers*

What should I expect using this in my current system? I believe I have seen where the new forceware is taking advantage of them, but Im not sure if the performance boost is in all games or just select few. Any input would be appreciated.

jAkUp
10-06-05, 04:26 PM
Are you certain that its the CPU thats dead?

Tr1cK
10-06-05, 04:34 PM
Yea, it powers up, the diagnostic LEDs report its the CPU trying to initialize or something. My 6800 and RAM are in my backup PC (go AXP 1700/ECS K7S5A!) Im using at the moment.

I had it running 250 htt synched, then went to a 240/200 asynch for better timings. I just got a wild hair last night and decided to give 240/240 a shot, but as soon as it restarted, I got a post, then a blank screen. Reset BIOS, reseated CPU, whole bunch of stuff to no avail.

ViN86
10-06-05, 09:15 PM
my X2 is stable at 2.5GHz. i ran prime95 stable for about an hour (went to bed after that and didnt feel like leaving it running) and my games/system are stable, so im assuming its stable (really should do more tests).

im goin to try 2.7GHz this weekend. i mean, i hit 2.5GHz on under 1.4V, so hopefully at mid 1.4V i can do 2.7GHz.

gonna drop multi to 166 with a 300 HTT, HT multi of 3x and cpu multi of 9x. i doubt it will work, or it will be too hot, but i really want to see if i can, heh.

Tr1cK
10-06-05, 10:02 PM
ViN, what did you have before the x2?

Is the new forceware giving a performance boost to x2s or x2s with SLI?

ViN86
10-07-05, 10:47 AM
i was running a 3200+ winchester at 2.4GHz. the drivers say that there are benefits from the multithreaded driver, but i think thats really only for high end graphics cards. for me, at just a 6800GT, i didnt really notice anything.

bestbeer
10-08-05, 04:01 AM
Well my Winchester 3500+ gave up on me. That thing has been flakey since day 1. I believe the memory controller popped on it. Which means...

x2 3800+ on the way!

I plan on trying to clock it at 240htt with a 166 ram divider to keep the ram at 400. *crosses fingers*

What should I expect using this in my current system? I believe I have seen where the new forceware is taking advantage of them, but Im not sure if the performance boost is in all games or just select few. Any input would be appreciated.

On average an healthy overclock to 2.4 or 2.5 Ghz on air cooling should be realistic based on what I have read in reviews and forum's. I am getting my X2 3800+ mid next week. Exciting!

Flak
10-08-05, 09:38 AM
My x2 3800 has been 100% stable so far at 2.7ghz w/1.45v on the stock cooler with the ram at 1:1.

Riptide
10-08-05, 09:39 AM
Technically you should "expect" 2.0GHz and hope for a lot more. lol

ViN86
10-08-05, 11:23 AM
My x2 3800 has been 100% stable so far at 2.7ghz w/1.45v on the stock cooler with the ram at 1:1.
nice :thumbsup:

youre a funny dude riptide :lol:
yea id expect at least a 400MHz OC out of the chip. its 90nm and SOI so it should OC well.

uOpt
10-09-05, 11:28 AM
My 3800+ is doing great. Instant overclock to 2.4 GHz at 1.45 volts. Didn't try more yet. Stable for weeks under heavy load now.

Not using Windoze, no idea what drivers you would need.

CaptNKILL
10-09-05, 11:47 AM
Yea, it powers up, the diagnostic LEDs report its the CPU trying to initialize or something. My 6800 and RAM are in my backup PC (go AXP 1700/ECS K7S5A!) Im using at the moment.

I had it running 250 htt synched, then went to a 240/200 asynch for better timings. I just got a wild hair last night and decided to give 240/240 a shot, but as soon as it restarted, I got a post, then a blank screen. Reset BIOS, reseated CPU, whole bunch of stuff to no avail.
Wow thats really odd... I cant say I've ever heard of anything dying instantly like that.

Honestly, I doubt the CPU is dead, especially since it was the RAM speed you changed, not the CPU speed. Sounds like your RAM didnt like the speed and it quit... if anything, your motherboard might be screwed.

Id suggest taking out the CMOS battery and unplugging the computer from the wall and leaving it for a few hours. Then put everything back in and give it a try... might want to try different configurations of ram too (one stick, two sticks, different slots...).

Im not questioning your computer abilities, it just sounds a little fishy and I *know* it sucks to replace parts and then realize its something else that is damaged.

Tr1cK
10-09-05, 01:33 PM
Wow thats really odd... I cant say I've ever heard of anything dying instantly like that.

Honestly, I doubt the CPU is dead, especially since it was the RAM speed you changed, not the CPU speed. Sounds like your RAM didnt like the speed and it quit... if anything, your motherboard might be screwed.

Id suggest taking out the CMOS battery and unplugging the computer from the wall and leaving it for a few hours. Then put everything back in and give it a try... might want to try different configurations of ram too (one stick, two sticks, different slots...).

Im not questioning your computer abilities, it just sounds a little fishy and I *know* it sucks to replace parts and then realize its something else that is damaged.

Well the next day, I tried different parts, even a different stick of RAM. If the board is dead, I guess I will have a 6800gt for sale and pick up a DFI Infinity SLI board. I really do think the CPU is dead though. The board stops initializing at the CPU check, everything else spins up and seems to work fine. I should have my cpu in tuesday or wednesday, Fedex & Newegg have sucked this go around, hopefully I will be awarded with an awesome overclocker! I'm also curious as to my next upgrade. Do you guys think I should go with 2 gigs of RAM or work on getting SLI? I can get the RAM sooner and am satisfied with my framerate for now, so I think its the better choice.

CaptNKILL
10-09-05, 11:52 PM
Well the next day, I tried different parts, even a different stick of RAM. If the board is dead, I guess I will have a 6800gt for sale and pick up a DFI Infinity SLI board. I really do think the CPU is dead though. The board stops initializing at the CPU check, everything else spins up and seems to work fine. I should have my cpu in tuesday or wednesday, Fedex & Newegg have sucked this go around, hopefully I will be awarded with an awesome overclocker! I'm also curious as to my next upgrade. Do you guys think I should go with 2 gigs of RAM or work on getting SLI? I can get the RAM sooner and am satisfied with my framerate for now, so I think its the better choice.
Well, hopefully everything works out well for you :)

And yeah, get the RAM. People will still argue that its not necessary, but no matter how high your framerate is in a newer game, skips and jerkyness from low ram will never go away. 2gigs will have you set for a while too since games are just now getting over a gig (mine usually maxes around 1.3gigs used after BF2).

slick
10-10-05, 12:09 AM
Then again DDR3 and AMD's new socket/RAM support is just around the corner, so I wouldn't go wild on current RAM right now anyways, that's just me though. If you have money to toss around (unlike me) go for it .:p

Dazz
10-10-05, 07:08 AM
The M2 socket you are referring to is DDR-2 667MHz.

Tr1cK
10-11-05, 09:06 PM
Ok, so it turns out my 3500 isn't bad, I was just making a few mistakes. I admit it. Anyways, the 3800 is a champ! I set it to 2.4 at stock voltage. :D