PDA

View Full Version : Help! OC gone wrong?

TB303
10-06-05, 09:13 PM
Hi people,
Earlier this evening I was trying to OC my CPU (A64 +3000 Venice, Abit- AV8-3rd eye, 1GB DDR400 – no brand, 6800GT).

I followed the instructions and lowered the multiplier on the LDT to 4 (from 5), Lowered the CPU multiplier to 8 (from 9), and locked the AGP/PCI @ 66/33 and set my memory to 333Mhz(166) divider.

I then gently increased the FSB in 10MHZ increase while testing stability with 3Dmark, eventually reaching 250MHZ. (or CPU @ 2080Mhz)

As I upped to 260Mhz and booted An error message prevented windows from booting up (see bellow).

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2721/ocgonewrong5fx.jpg

I tried starting in safe mode, even resetting the BISO to default speeds but it won’t go away or let me boot into windows.

Eventually I tried to follow MS suggestions and do a “Repair” – to my surprise, their idea of “user friendly repair” is to drop you into console and to leave you to figure out things.

I’ve later discovered the “proper” repair function, and it appeared that winXP was re-installing itself properly – until it blue screened with this message– see attached below:

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/1614/ocgonewrong25bk.jpg

I tried to re-install again (or continue the process) but it’s no good,
I tried to check my memory (with Memtest86) and it seems fine – my system is now in stock speeds.

Please help me, I have no Idea what has gotten wrong or how to get my Windows to boot again, I just spent about a week reinstalling everything, and I really wouldn’t like to repeat it, if possible.

Please advise,
Thanks!

jAkUp
10-06-05, 09:18 PM
Reset your CMOS, as in disconnect the power cord, and pull the CMOS battery completely out. then reinstall windows again. That should fix your problem.

PaiN
10-06-05, 09:23 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but looks to me like(especially, if you have SATA) you seriously corrupted the boot HD or controller, with possible damage.
Try to do a disk check
These kinds of issues are why I stopped "pushing" my hardware....I'm happy with an average OC, now ;)

TB303
10-06-05, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback,

I have an IDE MAxtor 120GB drive, so it's not a SATA issue.
I hope it wasn't corrupted because win installation did manage to run for quite a while and read and write to the HDD.

WHat causes this? how can I prevent it?

ViN86
10-06-05, 10:09 PM
memory errors cause it and corrupt the windows install. what i do to prevent this from happening to me when i test OC's is unplug my harddrives and use an old harddrive with a plain windows install and some testing utilities. then when i find a stable temp/speed, i plug my harddrives back in.

einstein_314
10-06-05, 10:56 PM
Yup, somehow your drive became corrupted. I had the same thing happen to me with my old Asus A8V deluxe which didn't have a locked pci bus. The sata drives I was using became corrupted and I had to do a reinstall of windows. I've had no luck with the repair options. It has never worked for me.

toxikneedle
10-06-05, 10:59 PM
Yup, somehow your drive became corrupted. I had the same thing happen to me with my old Asus A8V deluxe which didn't have a locked pci bus. The sata drives I was using became corrupted and I had to do a reinstall of windows. I've had no luck with the repair options. It has never worked for me.
same here, I had this same exact thing happen to my rig when I OCed it. I think it was because I forgot to lock the pci/agp bus. I'm not sure if my mobo's bios has the option though.

TB303
10-07-05, 05:26 AM
Hi People,
Thanks for the advice,

I'm OK now.

With Windows, I just ran teh recovery console, did check disk on the drive, it found some errors, fixed them and continued the installation, when it booted, it booted in my old, set up win, so nothing is lost.

I want to continue with teh OC, biut I have to understand what went wrong?
How do I make sure my AGP is locked? I have the .24 bios release.

Also,
How can I protect my HDD? I have IDE BTW.

Please advise,
Thanks!