PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a new mobo.

anzak
10-07-05, 11:53 AM
Recently I flashed my ECS A754 with the latest BIOS version and after rebooting it gave me a BIOS ROM Checksum error. I emailed ECS with the problem and they claim the BIOS failing is my fault and that I would have to pay for the BIOS chip replacement. Since this mobo has only given me trouble I'm not gonna put anymore money into it. I have learned my lesson about cheap motherboards.

Right now I've my narrowed it down to two.

DFI nF4X Infinity - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136162
ABIT NV8 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127220

I'm leaning towards the ABIT board. I like the layout better and it has one more PCIe slot than the DFI. What do you guys think?

Riptide
10-07-05, 11:57 AM
DFI

I won't go Abit again.

DiscipleDOC
10-07-05, 12:14 PM
DFI

I won't go Abit again.
Why?
I feel the same way about MSI.

Riptide
10-07-05, 12:18 PM
I had a bad experience with my current board. It only reported temps right when I went to an X2. My "old" FX53 was always misreported, no matter what BIOS revision. Plus, some of their BIOS revisions introduced some serious issues with the board. The only thing I like about it is the layout. It's also rather flimsy. I started out with a revision 1.0 - and the cpu multipliers were locked down on it. You had to get a new revision for them to be unlocked (which I did).

BTW I'm no MSI lover. The Neo2 is a pile IMO. It's only useful for overclocking. Beyond that it's a POS.

DiscipleDOC
10-07-05, 12:32 PM
You had to get a new revision for them to be unlocked
What a load. What board do you think you will go with next?

Riptide
10-07-05, 12:44 PM
If I were buying now it'd be the DFI SLI board. Next summer is when I go PCI-E though... and by then something better may be out. Not sure though, the new ones might be M2 socket. If that is the case I'll probably stick with the last greatest 939 board available at the time. I don't want to change my CPU out for a while.

mattkenn_4545
10-07-05, 01:33 PM
Who cares about a Checksum error just reset the bios and as long as there aren't any other problems you should be good to go.

If you are using an AGP card now and want to upgrade to a PCI-E sometime in the future get the Asrock Dual939-Sata2

ViN86
10-07-05, 01:41 PM
DFI ftw :D

DiscipleDOC
10-07-05, 01:43 PM
DFI ftw :D
In all of the hardware I've owned, I've never owned a DFI. What makes this board so special?

|MaguS|
10-07-05, 01:47 PM
Get an eVGA NF4! :) Awsome OCer. ;)

DiscipleDOC
10-07-05, 01:50 PM
Ya...I'm looking for a good overclocker/stable board. What about the Abit board?

sytaylor
10-07-05, 01:51 PM
I've had bad luck with Asus and Abit, I'm a glutton for punishment I guess...

Choose by shooting random people in the street, taking photos, and then seeing what letters they resemble as a clue, or smth...

|MaguS|
10-07-05, 01:56 PM
Ya...I'm looking for a good overclocker/stable board. What about the Abit board?

I heard they are good for OCing but everytime I look at them I feel like I would be buying a budget board. I thought the eVGA would have been mediocer but its such a great board. Far better then my old MSI Neo2 (I actually liked it) or my BioStar K8VHA Pro.

The eVGA board has every OC option you need and then some...

anzak
10-07-05, 02:02 PM
Who cares about a Checksum error just reset the bios and as long as there aren't any other problems you should be good to go.
No, it always gives me that checksum error. I've tried resetting the CMOS. I can't get into the BIOS to make any changes because something went very wrong in the flashing process. I've flashed the BIOS on all of my previous mobos without a trouble.

I'm a S754 user. I don't feel the need to ditch my Athlon 64 2800+ which overclocks to 2.4Ghz yet. The ECS board was a crappy overclocker compared to this Chaintech board. Hopefully my next one will be able to match this Chaintech.

rewt
10-07-05, 03:13 PM
I thought the eVGA would have been mediocer but its such a great board. Far better then my old MSI Neo2 (I actually liked it) or my BioStar K8VHA Pro.

The eVGA board has every OC option you need and then some...

Nice to hear. I've picked up one of those for $80 (shipped) on ebay. It came to the door yesterday brand new and in the retail box. Will be putting together my SLi setup very very soon :D

jAkUp
10-07-05, 03:56 PM
Go with the DFI.

ViN86
10-07-05, 04:21 PM
In all of the hardware I've owned, I've never owned a DFI. What makes this board so special?
DFI is the enthusiast board. their boards are incredibly tweakable and have loads of features.

i would go DFI if i could do it all over again, but i went with asus because theyre stable and they have a lot of room between the PCIe x16 slots on the SLI board.