PDA

View Full Version : X-Fi problem

PaiN
10-07-05, 10:13 PM
I had a small install problem, after I uninstalled the Aud2 and cleaned the drivers....I shut down put the X-Fi in, then on each attempt to get into Windows the system would reboot(just before the startup screen) even safe mode attempts did the same thing.
Without panicing I removed the X-Fi....booted Windows normally. Shut down, replaced the card, then XP started without issue
Now after one good problem free night of use..this happens:
I'm continuing to have the "unable to boot problem"....It started up out of the blue. Also, suddenly I have about 12 "Unknown PCI devices" listed...and no matter what I do I XP prompts for drivers on restart...its a total pain in the ass.
Think I'm going back to the A2 before this damn thing hoses my XP installation.

jAkUp
10-07-05, 10:19 PM
Yup alot of people are having that problem. If you update your BIOS it should fix it.

PaiN
10-07-05, 11:11 PM
Bios update??? I don't think so, My system was rock solid the way it was(is).
No, I put the Audigy2 ZS back....I've been through to much getting this thing running solid. I promised myself, I'd never go through the bullpoop ever again...I'm not going to risk opening a can of worms over a sound card...I rather just have my $130 back, before things get out of hand.

$n][pErMan
10-08-05, 12:27 AM
Bios update??? I don't think so, My system was rock solid the way it was(is).
No, I put the Audigy2 ZS back....I've been through to much getting this thing running solid. I promised myself, I'd never go through the bullpoop ever again...I'm not going to risk opening a can of worms over a sound card...I rather just have my $130 back, before things get out of hand.
But whats the fun in that? ;) :p

BladeRnR
10-08-05, 03:57 AM
What's wrong with a fresh install?

retsam
10-08-05, 04:54 AM
whats so hard about a bios upgrade.... its not rocket science...

PaiN
10-08-05, 06:38 AM
You guys don't understand what I suffered through this year. I know a bios update is simple(I've done tons). But I'm truely gun shy this time around that something will go wrong or I'll make other problems.
When the X-Fi started acting up in my system....that was all I needed to pull the plug on it.

PaiN
10-08-05, 09:50 AM
k....I bucked up, dug up the latest Epox bios(the notes said something about PCI control)
I was practically sweating....it went in fine :clap:, then reinstalled the X-Fi with no problems at all.....this is good :)

btw: I haven't tested for 100% stablity yet....but this new BIOS defaulted my memory at 217 to cl2 2-2-5 T1!! I'm using 2.7v so we'll see how it goes.

$n][pErMan
10-08-05, 11:28 AM
k....I bucked up, dug up the latest Epox bios(the notes said something about PCI control)
I was practically sweating....it went in fine :clap:, then reinstalled the X-Fi with no problems at all.....this is good :)

btw: I haven't tested for 100% stablity yet....but this new BIOS defaulted my memory at 217 to cl2 2-2-5 T1!! I'm using 2.7v so we'll see how it goes.
Like a kid diving into water for the first time.... sometimes you just need people to push you in .. lol :D

_Thanatos_
10-08-05, 02:06 PM
What did you expect with a brand new Creative Labs hardware ? :)

PaiN
10-08-05, 03:47 PM
I have no idea what this bios did.....but my RAM is now super-charged
2x1gb at 217 cl2 2-2-5 T1 2.7v 100% stable :D

$n][pErMan
10-08-05, 06:36 PM
I have no idea what this bios did.....but my RAM is now super-charged
2x1gb at 217 cl2 2-2-5 T1 2.7v 100% stable :D
Id hope so... its the same memory I have I think. That particular RAM is badass. ;)

PaiN
10-08-05, 07:21 PM
Maybe it wasen't the bios....I'm thinking its more likely that the RAM has "broken-in" from use. I just got lucky that the new bios changed timings for me, would never bothered with it myself.
Either way....no argrument with you on this point $n][pEr, its badass stuff

jAkUp
10-08-05, 11:31 PM
Nice! Well I'm glad it fixed the X-Fi problem :)

extreme4377
10-08-05, 11:53 PM
Did you solve your problem Jak? I didnt happen to read your thread completely

jAkUp
10-09-05, 12:25 AM
Nope. Still waiting.. :(

OWA
10-09-05, 11:25 AM
Nope. Still waiting.. :(
Did you unplug the power connection or did you leave it plugged in even though you weren't using the I/O drive?

jAkUp
10-09-05, 10:16 PM
I unplugged it. I actually went back to Frys and exchanged it for a brand new one! And I'm still having the same issues :(

OWA, have you tried the X-Fi on your SLI rig? If so is it sharing an IRQ with one of your cards?

OWA
10-09-05, 11:39 PM
I unplugged it. I actually went back to Frys and exchanged it for a brand new one! And I'm still having the same issues :(

OWA, have you tried the X-Fi on your SLI rig? If so is it sharing an IRQ with one of your cards?
Yeah, I've now used both in my SLI rig (the Xtreme Music version and now I'm using the Fatal1ty version in it).

Here is my sharing and IRQ situation. It appears it's sharing with one of the 7800s.

jAkUp
10-10-05, 12:05 AM
Yup, thats what mine looks like too :( So you don't get any popping and stuff on your SLI rig? What drivers are you using? Pain said it may be my mobo.. i hope not :(

OWA
10-11-05, 03:17 PM
Yup, thats what mine looks like too :( So you don't get any popping and stuff on your SLI rig? What drivers are you using? Pain said it may be my mobo.. i hope not :(
Nope, no popping or anything. It sounds great. I'm using one in each system now also. I just used the drivers/apps off the CD that came with them.

top3koms
10-11-05, 03:46 PM
I also have no popping issues with my X-Fi jAkUp.I did notice the IRQ sharing once I had installed it (installed in the bottom PCI slot) so I moved it to another PCI slot (second slot from the bottom)and it was no longer sharing but it was "crowding" my lower 7800GTX.Since it really made no difference I just moved it back to the bottom slot where it shares the IRQ and it's been working fine since.

OWA
10-11-05, 03:56 PM
I also have no popping issues with my X-Fi jAkUp.I did notice the IRQ sharing once I had installed it (installed in the bottom PCI slot) so I moved it to another PCI slot (second slot from the bottom)and it was no longer sharing but it was "crowding" my lower 7800GTX.Since it really made no difference I just moved it back to the bottom slot where it shares the IRQ and it's been working fine since.
Yeah, I didn't have any issues with the slots either. I'm using the bottom slot in my main system and the 2nd slot from the bottom in my 2nd system (since I already had the ATI HDTV Wonder in the bottom slot in that system).

Tym
10-12-05, 01:29 PM
Looks like I have the same problem. My second GTX and the X-Fi only arrived yesterday, so I haven't had too much time to investigate, but the problem definitely appears in Boiling Point and the FEAR SP demo. No problem in BF2. Details below... A question to jAkUp: Can you check if it's similar in your case?

This only happens with SLI enabled (in the drivers, the other card is still in). No problem with single card rendering. Currently using 81.84.
It doesn't seem to be an IRQ issue, as neither of my GTXs shares an interrupt with the X-Fi.
The crackling is more pronounced in some areas, but due to the distortion, I'm finding it hard to identify whether it is related to a specific type of sound that is played at those times. It was loudest in the area in FEAR SP demo just before you reach the courtyard with the chopper, when you look at the bright floodlight near the floor (before reaching the window through which you can see the courtyard).
I can't reboot the machine now... Have you tried what trodas suggested on the Creative forum (upping Vcore)?

I really hope it's not interference due to increased PCI-E traffic between two cards in SLI, as it would probably mean mobo replacement...

J-Mag
10-12-05, 02:31 PM
I would recommend switching over to the NVIDIA LAN vs the Marvell one if you haven't tried it already. Also, if you have any PCI disk controllers try to move them to chipset controllers.
Make sure that you try to disable anything and everything on the PCI bus that you don't need.

It seems as if this prob is PCI Bus saturation level related...