PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP SP2 Dual Core Performance Fix

Pages : [1] 2

Amuro
10-08-05, 02:40 AM
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256

http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=3951&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Hex
10-08-05, 02:56 AM
That is cool, but nobody who overclocks runs cool and quiet so the fix wont do anything for us.

Amuro
10-08-05, 03:09 AM
Where did you see cool and quiet mentioned? I did not see it.

Hex
10-08-05, 03:27 AM
Microsoft has released a hotfix to improve performance on dual core systems. It fixes a possible decrease in performance during demand based switching. Cool 'n Quiet must be enabled for the fix to work

It is still great that they are putting the effort out there, the new nvidia drivers had some love for dual core too so it is all a good sign.

retsam
10-08-05, 04:57 AM
good luck getting this fix in the first place...what they dont mention is you need to be a registered partner to get it....

Flak
10-08-05, 09:42 AM
You don't need to be a registered partner. And you don't need Cool 'n Quiet on for it to work either. I went to the MS Article, clicked the link in the article to get the 800 number to call. Called the 800 number. I told the lady I was running XP Pro SP2 on a dual core system and would like the hotfix from article 896256. She asked for my name, number and email address. Then well she confirmed my info she had already sent me the link for download. Gave me a case number and a new 800 number to call in case I had problems since the hotfix is still in "testing". The whole conversation took less then 5mins.
I'm not using cool n quiet, don't have the driver installed and don't have it on in bios. I do have the dualcore driver from AMD installed though, and with this hotfix I no longer have to set affinity for any of my games/apps that experienced stuttering before, everything just seems to work now.

Dr.Nick
10-08-05, 10:57 AM
Yea it seems to just fix the Cool n Quiet issues. Also Ive noticed everyone saying that you have to install the cpu driver from AMD. Well, you dont because all it only adds is cool n quiet support.
Thanks for info

ViN86
10-08-05, 11:17 AM
ill just wait for a general release. im not big into microsoft betas.... they can barely get the regular releases to work correctly.

Hex
10-08-05, 01:38 PM
Does xp-64 have the same issue where a patch may be needed or has it been pretty solid with dual core?

OWA
10-08-05, 04:24 PM
Yea it seems to just fix the Cool n Quiet issues. Also Ive noticed everyone saying that you have to install the cpu driver from AMD. Well, you dont because all it only adds is cool n quiet support.
Thanks for info
I don't think that is correct, at least not in all cases. I'm not using Cool-n-Quiet but without the AMD X2 cpu driver installed, most of my games would lock. I spent almost 2 weeks trying to find the source of instability before someone made me double-check to see if I had installed the CPU driver. I hadn't and once I did, my system was (and is) completely stable.

mbee
10-10-05, 12:08 PM
That is cool, but nobody who overclocks runs cool and quiet so the fix wont do anything for us.

Sorry, but that's absolutely BS:
I overclock AND run C&Q. It just depends on the motherboard and/or BIOS if this is working well (no problem here with an Asus A8N SLI Premium and an X2).
The hotfix fixes also solves a general (timing-)problem with dual core CPUs, it's not only related to C&Q though this made problems too with an X2.
The fixed timing "problem" is not the fault of MS though but of programmers using the wrong timer on SMP- or multicore-systems.
Besides installing this hotfix, you also should install the AMD-Driver and check if the switch "/usepmtimer" is set in your boot.ini which then solves nearly every problem with DC-systems.

mbee
10-10-05, 12:13 PM
Does xp-64 have the same issue where a patch may be needed or has it been pretty solid with dual core?

The issue is not one of XP but of "bad programming". The fix compensates this.
XP64 has this "issue" too but I guess we'll have to wait for the next service pack to see a fix.

BrianG
10-11-05, 05:21 PM
This fixed the error I was receiving for UT2003 that forced me to set the affintiy to CPU 0. Good fix.

OWA
10-11-05, 05:41 PM
Yeah, it's nice not having to use the utilities or task manager to set the affinity option and I also got a small increase in performance in some games, 3DMark05, etc. I posted some results in the thread in the driver part of the forum. Maybe that thread should be merged with this one or vice versa since some of the same info is being posted.

GlowStick
10-17-05, 01:46 AM
I just picked up a 4400+ today, and so far its going great accept WoW crashes quite freqnetly and it 'allways' happens not a maybe, just a question of when.

Before WoW, i was playing ET for 4 hours stright no problems. Then to see if it was just the processor i ran 1 instance of prime95 and had 3dmark05 loop going for about 3 hours no problems.

Could i be experincing this problem?

BrianG
10-17-05, 06:08 AM
I just picked up a 4400+ today, and so far its going great accept WoW crashes quite freqnetly and it 'allways' happens not a maybe, just a question of when.

Before WoW, i was playing ET for 4 hours stright no problems. Then to see if it was just the processor i ran 1 instance of prime95 and had 3dmark05 loop going for about 3 hours no problems.

Could i be experincing this problem?
Most likely.

Riptide
10-17-05, 08:27 AM
I just picked up a 4400+ todayTime to change that sig. :thumbsup:

GlowStick
10-17-05, 09:59 AM
Most likely.
Ahh teh noob i totaly forgot to mention what i was running

I dont have cool n quiet enabled, wasent sure what the verdict was on the debate weather that effects it or not. I also am running windows xp x64 do they have a hotfix for that version (if its effected at all)?

ill have to get the fix after school =[

OWA
10-17-05, 10:01 AM
I don't think there is a hotfix for WinXP 64. I've seen some say it handles it already and others say it doesn't. So, I don't know.

Edit: You could just set the affinity option manually to see if that helps though. If that doesn't help, it's probably not the issue causing the crash.

GlowStick
10-17-05, 10:05 AM
Hm, i just read amdzone they claim it is only a cool n quiet thing. dam i may have to go and reinstall windows xp to see if that helps. when i swaped cpu's windows didnt like it too much but after 2 reboots "normalized".

OWA
10-17-05, 11:27 AM
That seems to be the official word. The unofficial word, from people like myself and others that aren't using cool-n-quiet but still seem to benefit from the installation of the AMD X2 CPU driver and/or the hotfix, is that the official word doesn't jive with what we're actually experiencing.

If you haven't installed the AMD X2 CPU for WinXP 64, I'd probably start with that just to see if it helps. The one for XP 32 helped locking issues I was having. Some games would lock immediately, some would lock after playing them for a while. After I installed the X2 CPU driver, that issue was solved but I still had to use the affinity option with some games. The WinXP 32 hotfix, fixed that issue. Also, all of this was/is with cool-n-quiet disabled.

GlowStick
10-17-05, 04:53 PM
I installed the amd driver, and everything was peacy for a while then had a nother wow lockup. im aggrovated dam. should i bother to call m$ for this patch or will it not help?

OWA
10-17-05, 05:57 PM
Heh, I feel your pain. It took me like two weeks to get my system stable before someone mentioned the X2 CPU driver that seemed to fix everything. I had even tried underclocking to 2ghz (default is 2.4).

What bios are you using? I'm using the 1005. I remember seeing someone say that the latest beta bios fixed some sort of undervolting issue with the X2 cpus (or maybe it was cpus in general). You might want to give that a shot if you run out of other ideas.

GlowStick
10-17-05, 08:35 PM
Well after calling Microsoft and reading the KB article over and over I dont think the hotfix applies to x64.

However the 'level two rep' that i had to transferd to told me and i quote "I dont know" then "I dont know anything about these hotfixes" so heh. erm.

OWA
10-17-05, 08:39 PM
Well after calling Microsoft and reading the KB article over and over I dont think the hotfix applies to x64.

However the 'level two rep' that i had to transferd to told me and i quote "I dont know" then "I dont know anything about these hotfixes" so heh. erm.
That is consistent with what I've been reading about the hotfix. Most people have been saying x64 already handles it properly.