PDA

View Full Version : omg bbq lol (call of duty2 releated)

Pages : [1] 2

overheat
10-08-05, 12:37 PM
look at the smooth frame rate........I want a next gen vid card now!
this is the console version by the way
http://www.playerone.be/videos/callx05gp1.php

|MaguS|
10-08-05, 12:51 PM
Didn't look any smoother or worse then when I played the demo, if anything it looked graphically lower (textures looked blurrier).

SH64
10-08-05, 12:53 PM
Can you comment more on the video (graphics etc..) ? & when you said smooth framerate was that a sarcasm or you meant it ? for some reason i cant watch the video right now & the downloadable link its working for me.

EDIT : well MaguS seems to answered the first half of the question ;)

overheat
10-08-05, 12:53 PM
not sure about the texture........because of the quality of the video

but the framerate seem to be in the upper 40 ALWAYS

Mr_LoL
10-08-05, 01:43 PM
Yes it does look and run slightly better. I think Infinity Ward got a few dollars from Microsoft. Anyway Microsoft want to put the oomph back into PC gaming apparently :rolleyes:
http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=488

overheat
10-08-05, 01:49 PM
I dont think microsoft paid them but I think Its the beauty of programming for a closed system

imagine if a game was built from the ground up with the spec of my system or higher :drooling:

Bad_Boy
10-08-05, 01:54 PM
after all that smooth framerate, the player takes a few rounds to the head trying to aim at a head on top of the truck...

which means, if there is a possibility to use a mouse and keyboard over a controller in a first person shooter, ill take it. pc version for me :D

Mr_LoL
10-08-05, 02:05 PM
after all that smooth framerate, the player takes a few rounds to the head trying to aim at a head on top of the truck...

which means, if there is a possibility to use a mouse and keyboard over a controller in a first person shooter, ill take it. pc version for me :D

Thats true and the massive advantage of a keyboard and mouse over a controller :D

toxikneedle
10-08-05, 02:09 PM
I heard that IW are console sell-outs, they spent a lot of time to make it run better on 360 than on the PC. For example the use all 3 cores in the game's code for the 360, for effects and other crap. So I wouldn't be surprised that the 360 version runs better even though a 7800GTX Sli rig would still be more powerful.

CaptNKILL
10-08-05, 02:23 PM
It probably is running pretty good, but remember, its video camera footage: the entire thing is "motion blurred". Games ALWAYS look like that when recorded with a video camera. Obviously it isnt running at 10 fps, but I wouldnt be surprised if the framerate there was actually well under 40. Of course if it was, the 360 would be a MAJOR let down, so this is just hypothetical of course :p

Mr. Hunt
10-08-05, 02:26 PM
I saw them playing it on G4TV.com (or whatever that show is called now) and it looked smooth, but I didn't think it looked nearly as good as the PC demo I played. And of course Mouse + Keyboard + possibility of mods = instant winner.

Hex
10-08-05, 02:40 PM
What does it have to do with a "next gen video card"?
The 7800 gtx is more powerful than what is in the 360.

kev13dd
10-08-05, 03:29 PM
At first I was really impressed by the video, but near the end some of the textures didn't look as high of quality as I'd expect, and some player animations (as well as their shadows) didn't look too convincing

PC screens I've seen look pretty much equally impressive, although the quality of the cam was not too great to begin with

K

|MaguS|
10-09-05, 07:20 AM
What does it have to do with a "next gen video card"?
The 7800 gtx is more powerful than what is in the 360.

Actually its weaker then both the Xeon and the RSX so no... current gen Desktop GPUs are behind nextgen Console GPUs.

Mr_LoL
10-09-05, 11:22 AM
Actually its weaker then both the Xeon and the RSX so no... current gen Desktop GPUs are behind nextgen Console GPUs.

Yep RSX is faster than a 7800 according to this man I dont know about the xbox one though.
http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2005/07/11/nvidia_rsx_interview/2.html

toxikneedle
10-09-05, 11:37 AM
Yep RSX is faster than a 7800 according to this man I dont know about the xbox one though.
http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2005/07/11/nvidia_rsx_interview/2.html
Well either way, console designed vid cards are completely different from desktop cards. For example consoles will never run games at high resolutions. I dunno if you can really compare the two.
Not to mention that the PS3 is still half a year away, in a half a year god knows what will be the flagship card.

lightman
10-09-05, 01:38 PM
consoles will never run games at high resolutions.

Err... HDTV ? ;)

Hex
10-09-05, 02:58 PM
Saying that the vid card in the ps3 is faster is absurd in my mind.

When Sony unveiled its next-generation PlayStation last May, one of the slides displayed in the presentation showed that the PlayStation 3 GPU had the power of two GeForce 6800 Ultras working in SLI mode (nVIDIA's Scalable Link Interface multi-GPU technology). At that time, nVIDIA (the developer of the PlayStation 3 RSX GPU) has not yet unveiled its latest graphics architecture, formerly code-named G70.

But now that the GeForce 7800 GTX and its little brother, the recently announced GeForce 7800 GT graphics processing unit, have been announced, and an interesting tidbit comes from none other than the Official PlayStation Magazine.

The Inquirer reports that an nVIDIA spokesperson was quoted in the magazine saying that the RSX GPU is basically a slightly less powerful GeForce 7800.

Mr_LoL
10-09-05, 03:03 PM
Saying that the vid card in the ps3 is faster is absurd in my mind.

When Sony unveiled its next-generation PlayStation last May, one of the slides displayed in the presentation showed that the PlayStation 3 GPU had the power of two GeForce 6800 Ultras working in SLI mode (nVIDIA's Scalable Link Interface multi-GPU technology). At that time, nVIDIA (the developer of the PlayStation 3 RSX GPU) has not yet unveiled its latest graphics architecture, formerly code-named G70.

But now that the GeForce 7800 GTX and its little brother, the recently announced GeForce 7800 GT graphics processing unit, have been announced, and an interesting tidbit comes from none other than the Official PlayStation Magazine.

The Inquirer reports that an nVIDIA spokesperson was quoted in the magazine saying that the RSX GPU is basically a slightly less powerful GeForce 7800.

Well David Kirk says RSX is faster. Depends on who you want to believe it seems.
For those that don't know, if you've been living under a rock for the last few months, the graphics processor in the PlayStation 3 is NVIDIA-designed and is called RSX. How does it compare next to the 7800?

"The two products share the same heritage, the same technology. But RSX is faster," said Kirk.

But for how much longer, we wonder? With the PlayStation 3 not due until March 2006, won't the next generation of PC graphics be here by then? "At the time consoles are announced, they are so far beyond what people are used to, it's unimaginable," David comments. "At the time they're shipped, there's a narrower window until the next PC architecture." In other words, RSX looks incredible now, but when it launches, there'll be a smaller time until PC looks better.

Bad_Boy
10-09-05, 05:40 PM
Hex, that Inquierer article was debunked a while back. the RSX > 7800GTX...not but much but it is.

JamesDax
10-09-05, 06:51 PM
The XBox 360 version of CoD2 is locked at 60fps. Also IW said that the game would run better and have a little more eye candy then the PC version. And yes, the GPU in the XBox 360 is more powerful then anything currently availible on the PC market. And for the person who said that consoles would never run at high res. ALL XBox 360 games will be 720p.

jAkUp
10-09-05, 06:59 PM
The Framerate looks smooth because it is captured on a camera. A direct feed video would be a better indicator of FPS.

Of course everyone already knows my position on this whole thing, so I'm not gonna start another flame war, but here are some numbers and info.

2x GTX:
pixel fill rate = 13.76 Gpixels
textel fill rate = 20.64 Gtexels
Programmable Flops = 440 GFLOPS
Shader operations = 117 billion/sec (Per clock: 8 Vec 4, 48 Vec 3, 80 Scalar)
Memory bandwidth = 76.8GB/sec (dedicated)

Xenos:
pixel fill rate = 4 Gpixels
textel fill rate = 8 Gtexels
Programmable Flops = 240 GFLOPS
Shader operations = 48 billion/sec (Per clock: 48 Vec 4, 48 Scalar)
Memory bandwidth = 22.4GB/sec (shared with CPU) + 10mb EDRAM

Of course that 2x 7800GTX's.. anyone have the numbers for a single 7800GTX?

Here is quake4 running on the X360:
Another nice surprise is at Quakecon was that we got a quick one-level walkthrough of Quake 4 for the Xbox 360. Now, before we get into it, we need to point out that this is still relatively early in development. Hollenshead has said that the Xbox 360 version is using all of the same assets as the PC version, but running at a slightly lower poly count.

There are stories of new software builds and actual chips to install into the machine being sent directly to developers. While nobody around the show was willing to go on record, word has it that the development of the Xbox 360 is advancing at a breakneck pace. Raffel laughs, "It looks like the hardware vendors are dealing with the kind of insane crunches software developers have been."

First thoughts/impressions: Don't show the PC version of the game running widescreen at some insanely high resolution then kick over to the Xbox 360 running at 720p. It just isn't a fair comparison. To its credit, though, the spunky new Xbox is doing a good job in these early demos with decent frame rates (there is some slowdown, but hey, this is far from final hardware for the new console).

On the technical side, even more so than its predecessor, the 360 proves itself able to tackle first-person shooters. On a big widescreen set, with a full home theater setup, the console version makes a pretty strong statement. Thanks to HD the graphics hold up pretty well to being blown up so large. The now familiar lighting and shadowing capability of the Doom 3 engine gets even more chance to show-off with the exterior locations. That and the booming sound help cover the less than 60fps. framerate. Powerful as the new console is, this engine was conceived for PC and the target for the 360 version is a rock steady 30fps.

GamerGuyX
10-09-05, 08:19 PM
Powerful as the new console is, this engine was conceived for PC and the target for the 360 version is a rock steady 30fps.

Well duh! :rolleyes:

The game was made for the ground up for PC's not the 360.

overheat
10-09-05, 08:21 PM
^^^^^
finally someone who can read
:eek:

JamesDax
10-09-05, 09:17 PM
On the other hand CoD2 for the XBox 360 isn't a port like Quake4. It was built form the ground up for the XBox 360 which is why it's running better then the PC version.