PDA

View Full Version : Is this a decent OC?

Son Goku
10-08-05, 07:08 PM
Decided to take a look at OCing the new comp upgrade here. For an Athlon 64 3500+, Windows XP would crash at 2494 MHz. I've backed it down to 2.4 GHz now (might be able to back it down less, but a nice even number, lol). It's running Prime 95 stable at defaut CPU voltage...

Rytr
10-08-05, 07:15 PM
2.4 is a good overclock, especially if you are getting good stability.

$n][pErMan
10-08-05, 07:34 PM
OC'ing is hit or miss in terms of if you have a good OC'er or not. If its stable at 2.4 ... look at it this way.... your getting more speed for free :p

Son Goku
10-08-05, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I know :D Not sure what others have managed to get on average however... I've got some pretty aggressive memory timings however, so that could be it as well...

BTW, Prime 95 was running fine at 2,409 though the BIOS didn't want to POST there. The BIOS is happy with an HTT frequency of 218 and the CPU at 2,398 MHz and it gave no errors or warnings in Prime 95 at a higher setting.

Well time to let the thing crunch some WUs and gather some credit while I go out for dinner. If it gets credit and doesn't error, it should be fine...

thx guys

$n][pErMan
10-08-05, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I know :D Not sure what others have managed to get on average however... I've got some pretty aggressive memory timings however, so that could be it as well...

BTW, Prime 95 was running fine at 2,409 though the BIOS didn't want to POST there. The BIOS is happy with an HTT frequency of 218 and the CPU at 2,398 MHz and it gave no errors or warnings in Prime 95 at a higher setting.

Well time to let the thing crunch some WUs and gather some credit while I go out for dinner. If it gets credit and doesn't error, it should be fine...

thx guys
what are your memory timings?? Maybe if you can let up on the timings a bit and not sacrifice much memory performance... it would be worth it to gain an extra 100-200mhz if your CPU is not the limiting factor :)

rflair
10-10-05, 08:56 AM

thx guys

If your going to run a HTT over 200 drop the HTT multiplier to 3x.

Your doing good though Prime95 is the best test for CPU overclocks and I would let that run overnight (12 hours+ if possible). If it fails Prime95 back it down somemore. Theres no use running an unstable rig, gaming machine or otherwise.