PDA

View Full Version : TH gives a sneak peak at the new 65nm P4!

slick
10-08-05, 11:25 PM
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20051007/index.html

Core name "Cedar Mill"

Performance hasn't really changed much, but the power usage levels and temperatures are way down. It mentions that Intel might finally put out 4ghz+ with this bad boy, that'd be a sight, a commercial 4ghz processor.

ViN86
10-09-05, 12:18 PM
thats pretty cool to see them actually reduce the dissipated power on their chips. seems to be a step in the right direction.

rflair
10-10-05, 08:46 AM
Was an interesting read, P4 still has some potential it would seem. Shame they did not compare it its driect competition, but TH never tries to show Intel in a bad light.

Intel should put thier new technology into the Pentium-M which is a much better CPU then the P4.

Good read none the less.

Subtestube
10-10-05, 03:27 PM
I must say... I'm really holding out a lot of hope for Conroe. It should have all those nice optimisations they put into the P4 to actually make it competitive with an arguably better architecture, whilst still actually being a new architecture itself.

mx125race
10-10-05, 04:41 PM
its good to see intel is somewhat bouncing back from a 'performance slump' compared to the newer, much better, amd processors.

wshadow
10-10-05, 05:37 PM
dual core pentium M is where the future is.

Roadhog
10-10-05, 05:52 PM
ooh, looks like im gona have to wait a little longer for my upgrade. :D

ViN86
10-10-05, 06:42 PM
i think intel's problem was adding features on their pentium line until their architecture became crowded and poor. if they rebuilt cores each time, but kept the best features, they would have a great cpu, instead of just lookin to up speed.

$n][pErMan
10-10-05, 07:10 PM
AMD still >>> Intel.

ViN86
10-10-05, 07:57 PM
yes, but at least intel is making steps in the right direction at the moment, heh.

Sazar
10-10-05, 08:07 PM
dual core pentium M is where the future is.

Not till they implement 64 bit capability which is about 1 year away.

Its a great core and excellent performer for the clock and dual core will kick ass, I hope to get my mitts on a sample sometime before end of year if I am lucky.

Subtestube
10-10-05, 09:13 PM
[pErMan']AMD still >>> Intel.

No doubt. I'm hoping Conroe in the second half of next year will even the playing field somewhat. Then we'll have some real competition in the standard desktop CPU market once again.

$n][pErMan
10-11-05, 07:27 PM
No doubt. I'm hoping Conroe in the second half of next year will even the playing field somewhat. Then we'll have some real competition in the standard desktop CPU market once again.
Im 100% loyal to AMD at least for the moderate future. But I do think intel needs to stay in the gaming market as it will keep AMD on its toes to keep a one up over intel... which is better for us ;)