PDA

View Full Version : stupid question for new user

billyjoebobearl
10-09-05, 01:53 AM
okay - I am a new user that just came across this site and have had very little experience in the gaming world. So I bought one because a coworker talked me in to it - ACT of WAR: DIRECT ACTION. Dont know why, but my Pooter ( ...thats what i call my computer ) will not play the game. So I found out that I have a Nvidia GeFORCE 2 mx-400 video card. Does this suck or is something else wrong? I am not that experience with this type of stuff, so excuse the stupididity.
/

stncttr908
10-09-05, 02:24 AM
Yes, it sucks. I had one of those cards back in 2001, and now it's a dinosaur that's not capable of handling next-generation effects such as pixel shading and bumpmapping.

However, Act of War only requires a card with Hardware T&L (texturing and lighting) which the Geforce 2 MX does support. So, by "it will not play the game" do you mean it will not run at all, or just runs very slowly? If you're getting poor framerates your only real option is to turn down your resolution or turn down the graphics options.

And your questions are not stupid. I applaud you for coming here for help rather than taking it back to the store, griping that the game doesn't work.

billyjoebobearl
10-09-05, 12:16 PM
The game downloaded fine with no problems but when I tried to play - it gave me a pop up that said : Pixel Shader PS1.1 and Vertex vs 1.0 are not supported by hardware. I can get in to the beginning of the game to select OPTIONS, and to CREATE A PROFILE. But the screen is not even showing me the main page background that it should. The cursor moves and selects but the game will stop when I select BEGIN GAME. I will try what you said and then try and play again. Thanks for the reply.

aAv7
10-09-05, 12:22 PM
if u have an agp slot or a pci-e slot (im guessing agp since ur on a mx200) go out and buy yourself a 6800nu. Great card and it will run the things you want. Or even a 9800Pro from www.newegg.com. great, decent, beginner card.

And no question is stupid, gotta ask to learn. =)

stncttr908
10-09-05, 01:19 PM
The game downloaded fine with no problems but when I tried to play - it gave me a pop up that said : Pixel Shader PS1.1 and Vertex vs 1.0 are not supported by hardware. I can get in to the beginning of the game to select OPTIONS, and to CREATE A PROFILE. But the screen is not even showing me the main page background that it should. The cursor moves and selects but the game will stop when I select BEGIN GAME. I will try what you said and then try and play again. Thanks for the reply.
You downloaded the game for free? That sort of discussion really isn't allowed here unless you bought it from one of those things like Direct2Drive which is the full version you pay for.

Anyway, if it won't run, it won't run. The system requirements do not require a card with pixel shaders, just Hardware T&L, but I guess that's not the case. You could try getting a new video card, but if it's only for one game I wouldn't really bother. If you were to start getting into gaming it would be a worthy investment.

Gentle
10-10-05, 09:54 PM
The Geforce 4 MX series of cards were actually a step BACKWARDS in technology for Nvidia.

The Geforce 3 series of cards are actually more capable cards than the Geforce 4 MX series are.

The Geforce 4 MX series of cards only has partial Vertex shader 1.1 support. It does not have any pixel shader support whatsoever.

Gentle

Amuro
10-11-05, 02:49 AM
No, he downloaded the game legally from Direct2Drive.