PDA

View Full Version : A big doubt about thermal pastes

msxyz
10-09-05, 04:41 AM
Can I use those electro-conductive thermal pastes (like artic silver or similar) on a naked die chip like those of recent videocards or will it result in a sure short circuit ?

FraGTastiK
10-09-05, 06:12 AM
I have Arctic Silver 5 on my EVGA's GPU core for a month now.it works ,but don't take my word for it.

Rytr
10-09-05, 09:01 AM
The silver or metal in a thermal paste should never be applied to an electrical contact. Just make sure that when you apply the paste to the gpu that you avoid getting it on any of the electrical contacts around the gpu. Refer to the mfg's instructions on application. If in doubt, use a thermal paste without metal content.

hazindu
10-11-05, 12:27 PM
Think about this, people put aluminum and\or copper on processors all the time, how much worse could some negligably conductive goop be?

negligably is a word:p

Clay
10-11-05, 12:31 PM
Think about this, people put aluminum and\or copper on processors all the time, how much worse could some negligably conductive goop be?

negligably is a word:pThat's not a good analogy as the alumninum or copper (in the form of heat sinks) placed on processors is solid metal surfaces against the outer casing of the processors.

Thermal compound/paste is not a solid metal surface but rather more of a plasma/liquid which can work its way into electrical contacts (traces) and there it can become a serious conductivity issue.