PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Problems on CS:S

mx125race
10-09-05, 12:33 PM
Has anyone ever had the ground or certain objects on counter strike source turn a purple color? Well, yesterday i heard a few people compaining about it in a pub, then today i got it on dust 2. I know some newer maps get it because the downlaod was corrupted etc., but dust 2? Real wierd, my card is bran-new, too, so its nothin to do with that. If i still notice, i guess i should reistall drivers or the game.

Sazar
10-09-05, 12:43 PM
Do you have a screen shot?

I play cs:s a lot and quite a few new maps have come out. I'll take a look/see.

mx125race
10-09-05, 02:24 PM
i have to go 2 a party in a minute, but when i get back ill take one.

Rakeesh
10-09-05, 02:42 PM
I know what you are experiencing and the cause. Many maps have a reflective surface on the ground, walls, etc. Especially glass windows. Now the way reflective surfaces work in source is kind of a joke - they don't have realtime reflections a la games like the ones ID makes (even quake 1 has realtime reflections...) Instead they hold a bumpmapped alpha image of a low resolution static "skybox" of the map (so e.g. you can never see movable objects reflect on water, glass windows, etc.)

Sometimes the "skybox" texture doesn't get loaded into your video memory for some reason. The result is that all reflections are of that familiar purple and black checkerbox texture that shows up wherever textures are missing. The purple you see is that purple and black checkerboard in the reflection showing up instead of the normal "skybox" texture. Next time this happens, walk to a window up close and you'll notice that it isn't purple, but rather the purple checkerboard that I describe.

It is one of many bugs in source.

stncttr908
10-09-05, 07:31 PM
Sometimes this happens after alt-tabbing from the game.

mx125race
10-09-05, 09:41 PM
now i understand it alpha :) thanks, and i do alt-tab sometimes. ill post a ss in like just a minute.

mx125race
10-09-05, 09:48 PM
hm im playing right now and its ont donig it, funny...

OT: Does anyone know if overclocking on PNY's void the warranty? I dont think it does, does it?

EDIT: It actually did do it after I turned the game on again.
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/6791/200510095gk.th.jpg (http://img159.imageshack.us/my.php?image=200510095gk.jpg)
~click image to enlarge~
Thats the only place on dust that does it. I'll get a close up shot if someone wants me to later on

|MaguS|
10-09-05, 10:09 PM
Looks like your OC is too high and yes PNY does not cover if your card is OCd, it's void.

mx125race
10-09-05, 10:11 PM
nah i haven't overclocked it myself yet...

Rakeesh
10-09-05, 10:19 PM
Looks like your OC is too high and yes PNY does not cover if your card is OCd, it's void.

No it isn't due to an overclock, nor any kind of hardware issue. As I plainly stated earlier, it is a bug in source. Even notice the checkerboard pattern in the short wall just by chat text. It is even less noticable on there because the reflectivity is lower than that of the floor in the hallway.

It is that exact same checkerboard pattern that is commonly seen when textures in maps are missing. As a self proclaimed software developer you should easily notice that.

|MaguS|
10-09-05, 10:34 PM
Considering that the textures that would go there are loaded in the map right next to the error, its not missing textures. Its due to corruption due to a memory issue, most likly heat. Plus it wouldn't be a blending or such radically different sizes in such an area since those textures are all the same size.

Heres an example of missing textures, see how its all a flat display not broken up... if anything it could be a shader issue.
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/2528/hideout00008fp.th.jpg (http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hideout00008fp.jpg)

Rakeesh
10-09-05, 11:47 PM
Considering that the textures that would go there are loaded in the map right next to the error, its not missing textures. Its due to corruption due to a memory issue, most likly heat. Plus it wouldn't be a blending or such radically different sizes in such an area since those textures are all the same size.

Heres an example of missing textures, see how its all a flat display not broken up... if anything it could be a shader issue.
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/2528/hideout00008fp.th.jpg (http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hideout00008fp.jpg)

Depends on the resolution. The resolution of the placeholder in your image is very high, thus the "checkers" are small. The resolution of the reflective textures on the other hand is very low, thus the "checkers" are much bigger.

Observe:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=13737&stc=1&d=1128916060

Notice the obvious purple checkerboard pattern where the "skybox" texture should be.

Also, check out the debug messages when this occurs:

execing game.cfg
Spawn Server cs_compound
Begin loading faces (loads materials)
End loading faces (loads materials)
default error texture maps/cs_compound/cubemapdefault

Believe me, this is a source bug.

Sazar
10-09-05, 11:49 PM
Never seen it before myself.

I'll let the others go over what they think is wrong or the root cause.

Fwiw, I don't think its heat related because it would affect the entire scene, not just one specific portion as appears to be the case.

anzak
10-09-05, 11:53 PM
I only get it when changing resolutions while in-game. Restarting the game fixes it for me.

mx125race
10-10-05, 12:45 AM
sometimes restarting my pc or the game fixes it. And no i seriously doubt, like alpha and sazar, that it is heat related, because im pretty sure i had this on css with my 5200fx.d'oh, lol, kind hard to remember but i think i remembered a checker crate leaning against a wall. Most likely just a source bug... any other opinions or facts etc. are welcome.

Rakeesh
10-10-05, 02:30 AM
When I first saw this I was thinking that it was due to an overheat issue, but it only took me about a half a second to realize that it wasn't. I tinker with software all the time so to me this is a no brainer.

I am 100% without a doubt certain that it is entirely due to source not properly loading the four textures that the reflective surfaces depend on. You get the exact same familiar default checkerboard texture.

Gentle
10-11-05, 12:00 AM
Does a game cache file validation make any sense for this problem or nah, nope?

Gentle

Rakeesh
10-11-05, 12:09 AM
Does a game cache file validation make any sense for this problem or nah, nope?

Gentle

It would *make sense*, but it doesn't fix the problem. It is due to some kind of error while loading the map.