PDA

View Full Version : X1800 XT or 7800 GTX ???? ATI vs Nvidia

TREE
10-10-05, 03:08 PM
Hey guys iv been keeping a close eye on what could be a 7800 GTX killer from ATI , however from what i am seeing these days that doesnt seem the case. Its all so confusing seeing benchmarks for games that show ATI on top and then on another site the same benchmark, but only Nvidia's card on top.
So as a result i went and asked my dad who used to work for NEC here in Scotland as a marketing engineer, "whats the better company in your days at NEC dad, like who used the better components and had the better research department, was it Nvidia or ATI?" his answer was pretty dam to the point 'ATI where a bigger company than Nvidia but their products were not as good as they were not as commited to producing new inovative (dangerous could make a decrease in profits) products.'
Well as a result of this little talk i had with him i think my personal choice will be to stick to getting that 7800 GTX at this point in time. I mean the old man might have been unemployed and out of the computing job at the moment, but am still gonna go by what was the case 3 or 4 years back when Nvidia first released the Geforce 4 ti 4600. Because when you think about it ATI never implemented shader model 3 for a long time into their products showing that maybe they are not as dedicated to bringing out products that last for the future in terms of technology as the still fear loosing profits by creating something dareing and completly new.

So hey doods lets get this discussion going, am really anxious to know what yous think. :afro2:

slick
10-10-05, 03:09 PM
I think you posted this in the completely wrong forum.

I also think there are 1856785893 other threads on this.

Clay
10-10-05, 03:14 PM
Please do not make the same post in multiple forums (cross posting). Thanks.

superklye
10-10-05, 03:17 PM
Well it depends on if you want “Shader Model 3.0 done right” (ATI) or “Shader Model 3.0 done completely” (NVIDIA).

anzak
10-10-05, 03:32 PM
Because when you think about it ATI never implemented shader model 3 for a long time into their products showing that maybe they are not as dedicated to bringing out products that last for the future in terms of technology.

I find this kinda funny as the Radeon 9700 Pro is probably the longest lasting graphics cards ever. They can run games like Far Cry, Doom 3, and Half Life 2 at max settings without a problem which is amazing considering its age.

Which is better? The GTX and XT? The only reason I see to get the XT is super high res w/ AA performance (2048 w/ 4xAA) as it beats the GTX by a good amount. At lower res the GTX cost less and performs the same.

As we get longer and longer braching in games you will probably see the XT pull away form the GTX, but that wont be for a while.

Although none of the above really matters if the XT isn't available. ;)

EDIT:

Well it depends on if you want “Shader Model 3.0 done right” (ATI) or “Shader Model 3.0 done completely” (NVIDIA).
As I've said before, I don't really see this as a pressing issue. You can continue to dwell on a marketing slogan if you want. Just repeating it every thread is pretty silly.

superklye
10-10-05, 03:39 PM
As I've said before, I don't really see this as a pressing issue. You can continue to dwell on a marketing slogan if you want. Just repeating it every thread is pretty silly.
And as Iíve said before, I do see this as a pressing issue. Lying to the public is never something Iíve looked upon with favor, and turning a blind eye to it is equally or more ďsillyĒ than reminding people about how they were lied to.

If MS was doing something like this, Iím sure you and many other people would be all over them for it, so why is it any different when ATI falsely claims something?

Clay
10-10-05, 03:49 PM
@anzak: I thought you were just going to "agree to disagree"?

john19055
10-11-05, 09:12 AM
I think sometimes ATI has the best part and sometimes Nvidia has the best part ,when the 9700 came out they was far and ahead of nvidia and then nvidia turned it around when they launched the 6800ultra and right now I still think nvidia has the edge.

|MaguS|
10-11-05, 09:24 AM
Get a GTX, You can get it now for cheap and well you can use it now... no need to wait a month before you item is shipped.

Fotis
10-11-05, 09:58 AM
Whatever you choose I'd advise you to get a 512MB card if you're planning on keeping it more than a year.You'll need all the ram you can get especially for UE3 games.

|MaguS|
10-11-05, 10:01 AM
Whatever you choose I'd advise you to get a 512MB card if you're planning on keeping it more than a year.You'll need all the ram you can get especially for UE3 games.

The UE3 engine isn't as abusive with videoram as other engines so I dont think it will give such a huge performance boost as we've seen with BF2.

Fotis
10-11-05, 10:14 AM
The UE3 engine isn't as abusive with videoram as other engines so I dont think it will give such a huge performance boost as we've seen with BF2.
I thought Swinney said that you'll need a 1GB card for optimum performance?Maybe Jackup can help us on this one.
IMO there will be many games that need 512mb in a years time.

|MaguS|
10-11-05, 10:21 AM
Well thats if the game uses nothing bu 2048 x 2048 resolution textures and well I dout any game will be doing that anytime soon. The Engine is really well optimized, look how well it ran on nextgen consoles and even on a single 6800U (at E3).