PDA

View Full Version : Extra 1GB of Ram or 2nd 7800GT?

Pages : [1] 2

Peoples-Agent
10-12-05, 08:54 AM
Hi folks, it seems that I am about to invest in a bit more hardware but I am limited to two options.

A second 7800Gt for SLi mode or an additional 1GB Ram , I cannot have both.

I have been getting some stutter issues in BF2 and FEAR, some say Ram related but it has been proven from certain sources to be down to the games requiring additional Video Ram, which isn't there so it resorts to Ram ....which also isn't there so it makes do with the hard drive swap file lol

What would you say would be the wiser choice? ... I am thinking ahead to Socket M2 which would result in me having to can this Ram for DDR2 ram anyhow.

- D -

MUYA
10-12-05, 09:32 AM
2nd GT :)

bigjohns97
10-12-05, 09:46 AM
if you play bf2 get another gig of ram

MUYA
10-12-05, 09:47 AM
I play BF2 and have only 1 GB of RAM....

SLI rawks dude :)

Peoples-Agent
10-12-05, 10:16 AM
It seems the stutter in BF2 is relating to Video Texture memory ....it requires 230MB just to be awkward, any deficit is apparently carried across to system ram then onto swap file.

Hoping the SLi would resolve the difference, i.e less stutter.

CaptNKILL
10-12-05, 10:36 AM
It seems the stutter in BF2 is relating to Video Texture memory ....it requires 230MB just to be awkward, any deficit is apparently carried across to system ram then onto swap file.

Hoping the SLi would resolve the difference, i.e less stutter.
SLI doesnt double your video memory though... well technically it does, but it also doubles the amount of data being stored so you dont get anything from it.

I had stuttering as bad as anyone when I only had a gig, I got another gig and it all went away. The game runs fantastic for me now.

If you go with the ram, youre out about $100 as opposed to $350 for the second card. If you get the ram now you'll be happy with it and then you can get that second card later and you'll enjoy it a lot more because itl be perfectly smooth :D

Peoples-Agent
10-12-05, 10:38 AM
heheh , ah man I'm torn between the two.

But wouldn't the SLi give me more specialness in F.E.A.R , better eye candy ?
And i'd have to run the ram at 2T instead of 1T due to the 4 sticks, another factor.

Peoples-Agent
10-12-05, 10:39 AM
If I get my way, ill get the gf to shove the lot on her credit card LOL

CaptNKILL
10-12-05, 11:04 AM
Honestly, I think starting with the ram will be a better choice. The more graphics power you get, the more you will turn the settings up which will use more ram and give you MORE stuttering (but smoother framerates in between stutters... so you'll notice it more :p). FEAR and Battlefield 2 are the only games I know of right now that will use over a gig but Im sure we'll see more by the end of the year.

acrh2
10-12-05, 11:38 AM
SLI will nearly double your frames in FEAR (this is based on my own testing). However, 2G ram is so much nicer than 1G, that I recommend you get both the second GT and the extra gig of ram. Do what you must. Rob a bank, get a second girlfriend, but you must have both!

jAkUp
10-12-05, 11:40 AM
Hard choice. Somehow you gotta have both :)

Peoples-Agent
10-12-05, 12:19 PM
hmm, lol
Think I will settle for the extra 1GB of ram this side of Xmas, the card next year.

SH64
10-12-05, 02:06 PM
1GB RAM .. i'll take no stuttering over lower framerate anyday.

Peoples-Agent
10-12-05, 02:19 PM
But from the investigations made the stuttering in BF2 was down to Video Texture Memory going overkill? ..... i.e it uses around 230mb of video texture, when that aint there it goes to system Ram, when thats not available it then reverts to the Swap file which causes the stutter.

So therefore, wouldn't SLi eradicate this problem?

PSYCHODAD
10-12-05, 02:31 PM
But from the investigations made the stuttering in BF2 was down to Video Texture Memory going overkill? ..... i.e it uses around 230mb of video texture, when that aint there it goes to system Ram, when thats not available it then reverts to the Swap file which causes the stutter.

So therefore, wouldn't SLi eradicate this problem?
No, but 2gb system memory will.

SH64
10-12-05, 02:37 PM
Yep most likely it switch automatically to system memory if texture memory is not enough.
even with SLI you gonna get stuttering. the only solution is either a 512MB card or 2GB of RAM.

SimFan
10-12-05, 04:09 PM
Few games require more than 1 GB RAM.
I't easy.
Monitor you RAM usage.
If only occasionally you use +1GB, I personally would get the 2ng GFX card.
This 2nd 7800GT surely will make ALL your games fly.
More 'unused' memory will (more memory uses a bit more CPU) slows down your system too.
Just my personal thought.

acrh2
10-12-05, 06:19 PM
Few games require more than 1 GB RAM.
I't easy.
Monitor you RAM usage.
If only occasionally you use +1GB, I personally would get the 2ng GFX card.
This 2nd 7800GT surely will make ALL your games fly.
More 'unused' memory will (more memory uses a bit more CPU) slows down your system too.
Just my personal thought.

How exactly does extra ram slow down the cpu?

OWA
10-12-05, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I echo the comments earlier. Both if possible :) but if your budget is limited and you're mainly playing BF2 and FEAR, I'd get the extra gig first. The hitching in BF2 and FEAR was driving me crazy until I upgraded to 2 gig. Now they're both smooth.

Azzkikr1337
10-12-05, 06:32 PM
get extra RAM. I have 3GB in my system and I see no stutters in games anymore. But I have yet to try FEAR or BF2 online :X. On the other hand, AOE 3 looks so sweet =D

bigjohns97
10-12-05, 06:36 PM
I play BF2 and have only 1 GB of RAM....

SLI rawks dude :)

Do you like that 15 seconds or so of studder when you join a map?

Do you have a fast hard drive that you can hear getting trashed as you play?

Telling me your bf2 doesn't overload your 1 gig is just not true unless you are playing on a 8 man server with all settings on medium.

To the poster i would get 2 gigs of ram now and wait for the next video card to come out and buy that. SLI is not worth it IMHO you only get performance from FEAR and super high resolutions and that's it.

I don't run anything higher than 1280x1024 for my lcd and hdtv. I think it looks great. I do understand that lot of people do though.

Although it would be cool to have sli x2 cpu and dual raptor's in raid-0. :)

FraGTastiK
10-12-05, 07:04 PM
wouldnt we see pauses in FEAR and BF2 only when using max detail options with AA/AF?

IF someone can only afford to buy one of those two options(RAM/VGA) for the life of him.wouldnt that be a huge trade off to drop SLi and all the games he could have enjoyed at hires just to play FEAR BF2 maxed out with AA/AF?

but all the people would eventually make that 2GiG transition anyway.I think either choice he makes,sooner or later he's going to go with the other one too.

I'm going to burn another 370$ on 2GiG of those tracers.:( I need to pull the plug and quit visiting the net for a while I guess,its hurting my pocket.

we're all in it together so true :D

EDIT: on a side note,I know there are many XG drivers lovers/haters here but I tried their latest drivers and it reduced pausing with FEAR.I dont know what did they sacrifice to get that result but I couldnt detect any IQ downgrades rightaway,although I didnt look very carefully.that maywork as a quick fix for now.

Peoples-Agent
10-12-05, 07:35 PM
The reason the newer XG drivers sorted out the stutter was due to the finding that games were using 230MB of video ram, and they somehow managed to plug them to remove / reduce the stutter.
Amazing but very true.

FraGTastiK
10-12-05, 07:46 PM
Yup stuttering occures not that often with new XGs but its there.plus now that I look at walls (F.E.A.R SP)they seem kinda flat compared to non-modded 81.84s.maybe I'm wrong.

Yabba
10-13-05, 03:11 AM
Buying another 1gig of ram should be the cheeper way of solving this Problem ;)