PDA

View Full Version : Is a UT 2003 Server a viable venture for a hosting service?

~=MOON=~
01-01-03, 01:00 AM
Hello Everyone!

I am to open a hosting service very soon and have enough customers right now to insure the viability of the service. But since I know that alot of ppl are into games played over the net, I am wondering what kind of ressources would be needed for a hosting service to host a few UT 2003 servers. Does it require alot of throughput, does it involve alot of running process?

Thanks to everyone for your help.

LORD-eX-Bu
01-01-03, 01:39 AM
yo moon, hook a brotha up and gimme a little sumthin' sumthin' ;) :p

The Baron
01-01-03, 11:58 AM
A guy I know runs a 14 player server on a dual P3 1Ghz box running Win2k with 768 megs of ram on his own T1 (his company pays for it.... the bastards :p ), and with THAT, there's no lag. Bump it up to 20 or 24... it's laggy.

So yeah, it's throughput and process intensive.

SavagePaladin
01-01-03, 01:04 PM
I don't really know about bandwidth. You could ask current server ops...

However, I think the usual lag is due to processor calculations with a lot of players. (Over 16 is a lot of players being my meaning...) UT2003 has a lot more calcs to do than many games...

So, I think, Epic explained it. They probably have a server op tutorial thingy somewhere explaining it better than I could.

volt
01-01-03, 01:29 PM
Dual Athlon XP @ 1.6 GHz + 1 GB of DDR gigabit ethernet would do for 32 players :)

LORD-eX-Bu
01-01-03, 01:35 PM
In the FAQ doesn't it say that a single P4 over 2 Ghz would be able to do that? :confused: :p

~=MOON=~
01-02-03, 03:50 AM
I am not surprize by the throughput issue but a little puzzle by the caculation aspect of the deal. It is my understanding that a dedicated server will not make any rendering calculation since that task is handle localy on the client's computer. True?... I am downloading the linux version of the dedicated UT2003 server and will install it on a redhat 8.0 distro temporary server to put it to the test. I do doubt it would be cpu intensive.
:banghead:

thcdru2k
01-02-03, 10:37 AM
yes it won't do any video rendering, so you a tnt would work fine.