PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT AGP problems

patrickjs89
10-12-05, 02:48 PM
Ok, I have had this problem for one year now, and I found a solution, but now after playing all my games, I feel like I'm getting a major downrate on frames. I have a the BFG 6800GT OC'ed card. I also have a nForce 3 ultra motherboard. I downloaded an overclocking tool, coolbits and rivatuner, and I realized that 350 MHz is standard for a 6800 GT, so I lowered it down to 350 MHz instead of BFG's 370MHz. It still froze up, so I decided to put on 4x AGP. My games will only work with EXACTLY 350MHz/4x AGP. If I put it to 350MHZ/8x, it freezes. If I put it to 370MHz/4x, it freezes, so on and so forth. I usually run 350/4x AGP, but I feel that I'm not getting a good enough power out of this, so my question is, is the video card bad, or my motherboards AGP slot?

SimFan
10-12-05, 03:39 PM
I have had a similar problem when I bought my system last year.
Since then it has been running fine, also in all sorts of games.
Specs: MSI NF3 Ultra Neo2 Platinum
POV NV6800GT @ 350
Each time I OC the GFX card I got problems in games and had to turn of FW (FastWrites) in BIOS to prevent lock-ups in DX9 games and Benchmarks.
Solution: not to OverClock my GFX card (nor CPU, but that does not matter here).
It is a known fact that some NF3(U) mobo's are having problems with NV6800 series GFX cards when OC. But mind you... this surely is NOT always the case. You have to test! If you want, try to turn off FW in BIOS (but it does lower the CPU spec in Benchmarks!-I decided NOT to do it and use FW on, no OC though)
Your system might be different though, cause I can easily run 8X AGP (Windows reports different setting from Mobo etc, keep that in mind).:D

patrickjs89
10-12-05, 04:14 PM
I do have FW turned off, however, when I run standard clock speeds ( 370/8x AGP ), I noticed that is unable for me to change Sideband Addressing on RivaTuner. Could this be a lockup problem, or is it my AGP nForce 3 board? I might just buy myself a new board with PCIex, unless somebody can find me a proper solution here :confused:

Tr1cK
10-12-05, 04:37 PM
Mine runs fine with 8x agp and no fast writes. Fast writes on for me = baaad. You guys running power supplies that can handle the loads?

patrickjs89
10-12-05, 05:47 PM
Yes, I run 400W

Tr1cK
10-12-05, 05:55 PM
400w doesn't mean anything if its not a quality PSU that will put out enough clean amperage. Look at the 12v amp rating, for instance mine is 33a. A lot of subpar PSUs tend to rate low amp units at higher wattage.

patrickjs89
10-12-05, 09:00 PM
Ok.............well I might of figured something out, but the whole time I was using RivaTuner to turn off my FW, but then I realized that CoolBits does have an AGP options, so I turned it off in Coobits, which I like better, and my games stay normal now, but this is ironic, I ran 3dmark05 @ 350MHz/8x AGP and I got a score of 4698. I then ran @ 370MHz/8xAGP and got a lower score of 4455? Is this right, or is something wrong here?

SimFan
10-13-05, 02:52 PM
Dunno for sure Patrick.
Why would you switch to PCI-X because of this fact alone ?
AGP 8X (instead of 4) is sure not going to make that much difference (depends).
My problem was OC + FW.
I decided to stop OC, but keep FW.
FW does have a big impact on CPU scores in 3dmark.
It is of importance for Video (a.o.) cpu reliance.
But, if you can OC and turn on 8X AGP instead I would noth bother with FW.
It all is very Mobo+GFX card dependent.
I fear the only solution are to 1. test 2. if you are lucky people could tell you the solution with your particular card(s)/system.
You may try google and do a search on your specs.
Visit the Hardware fora of manufacturers etc.
I stumbled on a solution by accident while searching on FW issues. It turned out many of these issues were OC related (but not all!).
OC + FW on my mobo meant freezes in 3D.

Tr1cK
10-13-05, 04:04 PM
SimFan is right for the most part. Though it is more beneficial to o/c and have FW off than the other.

SimFan
10-13-05, 04:13 PM
Tr1ck wrote:
"Mine runs fine with 8x agp and no fast writes. Fast writes on for me = baaad. You guys running power supplies that can handle the loads?"
I have the exact same mobo as you do (a.o.).
The MSI NF3U mobo you have is known for (to a degree) incompatibily with the nv6800GT (but I hoped drivers would have sorted that out by now).
Also our board has/had a minor problem with USB ports and certain combinations of same HDD.
The first couple of days were like hell. I couldn't figure out at first what I had done wrong. I was lucky to know the right (enthousiast) crowd that helped with assembly and debunking problems.
Since then it ALL ran without a glitch for about a year now.
But a.o. it means that nv gfx card OC + FW on = freezes in most d3d games.
You could return to stock speeds and see: most probably FW is no longer a problem. It'll speed up Video work. If you decide to test it too/again?, please let me know. Thx.

Tr1cK
10-13-05, 04:43 PM
I have went back to trying FW on many times with no luck. The only times I was able to use it is when I wasn't overclocking. I tried again today since I have my x2 and can run aggressive timings now, but again no luck at all. Rule of thumb is to just not run FW at all if you want to overclock on the NF3s.

Edit - Almost pulled off aggressive timings, but was only 99% stable in games.

SimFan
10-14-05, 02:27 AM
Tr1ck,
This fully complies with my findings.
As far as I can remember it was the MSI mobo that had this problem.
I think I read that other manufacturers did not always have the problem.
Maybe the Ultra (NF3U) version alone or such.
Anyway, if I use a mild OC it also causes freezes once FW is ON.
After lots of testing my best setting proves: 3500/1000, no OC, FW ON.
But games are surely not my main concern (otherwise I most probably would OC the card).

patrickjs89
10-14-05, 04:13 PM
BAH, screw it, I'll just leave it at 350/4x AGP. Just one more concern, and this is not video related. But having built my computer, I have a AMD 3500 64 processor. On the boot up screen, it says my CPU Clock Frequency is 200MHz. Is this right, because it runs fast and my drivers tell me it's working good, so should I have to worry about it or is 200MHz the standard speed?

SimFan
10-15-05, 05:42 PM
Patrick,
200 is what it should be (if not OC).
Don't worry too much about stock speeds or OC.
If you really want (much) more speed, simply get a new GFX card
(6800Ultra, 800XT...).
But, if you are a 'true' gamer (I'm not), probably no old generation (like 6XXX) card, nor anything less but a 4000+ AMD64, will do anyway.
For general computing and most games your (and mine in fact) current config is just fine and will be for years to come.
:)

patrickjs89
10-15-05, 08:47 PM
Ok, this is my first computer build, so I'm new to all the problems occuring, and the only one I have so far is the AGP thing and my OC problems. I guess I won't be worried about it, since 350 is standard clock for GT and 4x AGP isn't cutting too many frames off, I guess.