PDA

View Full Version : nVidia Forceware 80.xx VS.ATI OGL Tool

s[H]ellshock
10-15-05, 04:28 PM
Well I am about to order a XFX GeForce 7800 GTX but I saw on hexus.net the new tool for upcoming ATI drivers where ATI X1800 realy does well in OGL.
Now this is very confusing cause the reason I`m buyng nVidia is their exelent OGL support.Now what I want to know is will the upcoming forceware 80.xx drivers have some surprises for us so that I can oficialy make up my mind & get the XFX card?:confused:

SH64
10-15-05, 04:34 PM
I got some decent improvment in Doom3 with the 81.84 drivers over the previous 78.03 (~8%).

its hard to predict until nVIDIA's official drivers are out & ATi's 5.11 aswell then a head to head compasrion will be made.

i still think nVIDIA is more suitable for OpenGL even if ATi were faster. remember that nVIDIA had mastered the OGL API for long now.

OWA
10-15-05, 04:49 PM
Yeah, nvidia cards were designed with opengl in mind so I don't think you'll go wrong getting a nvidia card. ATI may be able to close the gap some if they tweak for each game but in general, I think nvidia will still be superior in opengl.

s[H]ellshock
10-15-05, 05:04 PM
Well I have allways liked OGL games I don`t know why, they tend to have a particular feeling in games.But anyway Hexus.net shows the X1800 actualy beating the GTX, does anyone know how the oficial 80.xx drivers will affect nvidia cards overall and how powerfull/programable they memory controller on NVIDIA's latest GPUs is in comparison to the X1800XT.

OWA
10-15-05, 05:08 PM
Take the ideal 35% improvement and it still wouldn't be faster in Chronicles of Riddick and that's with a new card being released a few months after the GTXs were released.

Edit: That comment was based on looking at the The Tech Report results. I hadn't looked at the Hexus.net article until just now. They show a nice gain but is still slower than the GTX. CoR is an opengl game by the way.

saturnotaku
10-16-05, 11:02 AM
It's not just performance in OpenGL that's an issue with ATI cards. There has been a driver issue with gamma settings not sticking in OGL games that's been present since late 2003. I've tried several ATI cards based on the X8xx chipset, and I've always ended up selling or returning them because of this problem with OpenGL.

fatal1ty
10-16-05, 11:17 AM
It's not just performance in OpenGL that's an issue with ATI cards. There has been a driver issue with gamma settings not sticking in OGL games that's been present since late 2003. I've tried several ATI cards based on the X8xx chipset, and I've always ended up selling or returning them because of this problem with OpenGL.

You dont have to sit around and hope ATI notices it, just use the driver feedback form and report it.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=737-1713

OWA
10-16-05, 11:35 AM
You dont have to sit around and hope ATI notices it, just use the driver feedback form and report it.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=737-1713
Many have, including myself. It's one of the reasons I'm skeptical that driver feedback does anything more than just placate the user and keep them from whining as much.

They've known about the gamma issue for a long time. If you search the other desktop graphics card forum, you should be able to find some info posted by one of the beta testers about the issue. He kind of hinted that it might be fixed at some point but I guess we've haven't reached that point yet. Actually, it may have been in the rumor mill section.

Superfly
10-16-05, 11:48 AM

You have no idea how many times Sat would have tried that by now, I can even remember one such discussion many moons ago.

OWA
10-16-05, 11:59 AM
Here is some of that info. Edit: Actually, I'll send it in a PM so I'm not dredging up the past. :)

fatal1ty
10-16-05, 12:46 PM
Thanks OWA...

I didnt know it was already submitted until the later posts.