PDA

View Full Version : xbox 360 hands on game previews.

Pages : [1] 2

demonized
10-15-05, 07:20 PM
Splincer from gamespot forums was invited by microsoft fo test the console and a few games.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=23856490

Mr_LoL
10-15-05, 08:43 PM
Looks like he is not impressed with perfect dark zero. It looks ace to me.

Mr. Hunt
10-15-05, 09:10 PM
Getting tired of people talking about how great Kameo looks... it looks like poo to me... the videos I have seen looked rather choppy and not detailed at all for it to be a real "next-gen killer app"... not saying graphics are everything... but I get tired of people saying it looks great... drives me up the freaking wall.

Mr_LoL
10-15-05, 10:41 PM
I am also getting tired of hearing those words "Unreal engine 3". Someone please give the far cry engine a chance.

kev13dd
10-16-05, 04:29 AM
Getting tired of people talking about how great Kameo looks... it looks like poo to me... the videos I have seen looked rather choppy and not detailed at all for it to be a real "next-gen killer app"... not saying graphics are everything... but I get tired of people saying it looks great... drives me up the freaking wall.

Ya, me too! I just HATE it when PEOPLE WHO HAVE PLAYED THE GAME say how great it is

I mean, seriously, what on earth is wrong with them? Don't they know to base their judgements off VIDEO and SCREENSHOTS? I say, seriously, what is wrong with these people?

What I hate most is the lying. I mean we all know that the videos were choppy, so what on earth is this idiot saying it was "certainly the smoothest running game there"? We all know he's wrong, don't we boys?

All this crap just really makes me want to punch Mr. Hunt in the face for being such an imbosol, basing all his facts on hands on experience. God... I'm serious... punched in the freaking face

K

EDIT: My bad. I meant Splincir guy. Ya. He's the one that deserves the beating, what a silly typo on my part :rolleyes:

Mr. Hunt
10-16-05, 11:56 AM
Ya, me too! I just HATE it when PEOPLE WHO HAVE PLAYED THE GAME say how great it is

I mean, seriously, what on earth is wrong with them? Don't they know to base their judgements off VIDEO and SCREENSHOTS? I say, seriously, what is wrong with these people?

What I hate most is the lying. I mean we all know that the videos were choppy, so what on earth is this idiot saying it was "certainly the smoothest running game there"? We all know he's wrong, don't we boys?

All this crap just really makes me want to punch Mr. Hunt in the face for being such an imbosol, basing all his facts on hands on experience. God... I'm serious... punched in the freaking face

K

EDIT: My bad. I meant Splincir guy. Ya. He's the one that deserves the beating, what a silly typo on my part :rolleyes:

Hey queer... why don't you shut the hell up? I am talking about how it LOOKS you moron. I don't have to play the game to tell WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE.

All this crap makes me want to stab you in the throat for being such a moron. God... I'm serious... stabbed in the freaking throat.

Mr_LoL
10-16-05, 12:11 PM
Hey queer... why don't you shut the hell up? I am talking about how it LOOKS you moron. I don't have to play the game to tell WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE.

All this crap makes me want to stab you in the throat for being such a moron. God... I'm serious... stabbed in the freaking throat.

lol

HIWTHI
10-16-05, 12:20 PM
Went to E3 and played a few of the games; when they weren't crashing they looked like Xbox games with better lighting and more detailed characters. The real difference in next-gen won't be cutting edge realistic graphics, but the number of characters on the screen, better physics modeling, and more interaction with the world. If you've seen the PS3 tech videos and are expecting that don't get your hopes up; the PS3 games are not going to look like that. Anyway, back to talking about the Xbox 360's games, my favorite game that wasn't a PC port at E3 was Condemned (Perfect Dark Zero wasn't there). All of the PC FPS/RPG ports look really good, but for me a controller can't compete with the mouse and keyboard. The most stable game was Kameo, because it's been in development for so long and graphically looked like a high-end Xbox game. The next-gen aspect of the game is the number of enemies on the screen at once; they're are literally hundreds and they are all nicely modeled. I'm still not sold on the 360, because the launch titles are pretty thin and the console isn't guaranteed a long future. Plus my PC plays about half of the 360 launch titles at better graphical levels.

Mr. Hunt
10-16-05, 12:33 PM
In the videos of Kameo I have seen... it looks about like Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for the Gamecube... only choppy.

msxyz
10-16-05, 12:52 PM
Some people who actually played Kameo have gone further by saying it IS the new Zelda. Everyone who played it had only good things to say in the previews.

PDZ, on the other side, is way overhyped. There are a lot of gamers who still cling to the hope of PDZ being a killer app while most previews rate it "only" as an okay game.

kev13dd
10-16-05, 02:53 PM

So you honestly want to play "who's the moron" game

You first said:

the videos I have seen looked rather choppy

And I addressed that he said it wasn't choppy at all. So please reiterate where I suddenly started spouting out stuff about "gameplay". Cause as I recall I never said that word once. I too was addressing graphics. Sounds to me like someone stabbed you in the freaking eyes when you were a child...

You said now:

I don't have to play the game to tell WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE

So please, tell me, how am I to tell how a game looks without playing it? You mean by like, looking at screeshots of an UNFINISHED product? Great deductive skills. Seriously. I must be the moron. After all, I thought it vitally important to look at screenshots of the actual game, or play the actual game...

But have no fear, you have showed me the light. I can look at screenshots during production. Hell, from now on I'm just ganna look at the wireframe and say "this game is ganna suck ASS, I mean look at how low quality the textures are. Stear clear from this piece of crap"

K

Mr. Hunt
10-16-05, 03:01 PM
So please reiterate where I suddenly started spouting out stuff about "gameplay".

PEOPLE WHO HAVE PLAYED THE GAME = gameplay. And don't give me that "unfinished product" bs... many games looks BETTER in trailers and screenshots than the final product. So go swallow a knife.

kev13dd
10-16-05, 03:04 PM
PEOPLE WHO HAVE PLAYED THE GAME = gameplay. And don't give me that "unfinished product" bs... many games looks BETTER in trailers and screenshots than the final product. So go swallow a knife.

PEOPLE WHO HAVE PLAYED THE GAME = PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEEN THE GRAPHICS

And I will give you "unfinished product" bs. Cause I don't care if "many games" look different, this fellow says it looks great. So lets think deductive reasoning here. Graphics bad before... graphics great now... I'm pretty sure that the unfinished product might be worse. You know what? We can even ask him. I'll post the question right now! "does the version you played look better than in the videos and screenshots released to the public"

K

Mr. Hunt
10-16-05, 03:06 PM
Well it isn't hard to look better than the current videos and screenshots since they look like current gen stuff.

kev13dd
10-16-05, 03:08 PM
Well it isn't hard to look better than the current videos and screenshots since they look like current gen stuff.

So in other words, the actual game has a high likelyhood of looking better than the screenshots and videos we've seen. Ok. Good. Thanks

K

Mr. Hunt
10-16-05, 03:10 PM
No, I didn't say that... I am just saying it wouldn't be hard to improve on the graphics since there are games out RIGHT NOW that look better than it.

EDIT: And by LOOK better I mean VISUALLY... I am not judging the gameplay, although so far this game doesn't appeal to me at all from a what I have read/seen.

kev13dd
10-16-05, 03:20 PM
EDIT: And by LOOK better I mean VISUALLY... I am not judging the gameplay, although so far this game doesn't appeal to me at all from a what I have read/seen.

Me either. Racing, FPS, and RTS are the only game types I can bear. Anyone who can endure any other type (especially MMORGP) are most patient than I can ever hope to be

K

H3avyM3tal
10-16-05, 05:40 PM
So what was the friggin point of that arguement? What are you doing in a thread that is about a game you dont care for?

I dont think this will be their killer app. Ppl like a more serious looking games. This game does look kiddy, and that will be it's biggest problem. No matter how you render it, fairy is a fairy...

GamerGuyX
10-16-05, 06:08 PM
I dont think this will be their killer app. Ppl like a more serious looking games. This game does look kiddy, and that will be it's biggest problem. No matter how you render it, fairy is a fairy...

Then how do you explain the extreme popularity of Nintendo franchises like Mario and Zelda which are always considered killer app's when a new Nintendo console comes out?

Ruined
10-16-05, 08:02 PM
Was at Digitallife in NYC today and I got to see two XBOX 360 games being played in person (by lucky people in the crowd) on an HDTV display, plus a ton of other games on a high definition demo reel.

LIVE GAMEPLAY

Project Gotham Racing 3
--
This game has the most amazing graphics I have ever seen on any racer ever. While that is not surprising since this is XBOX 360, I didn't expect one thing - the dashboard view. PGR3 adds a new camera where you see the steering wheel and dash, and I have never seen any game ever execute such a realistic looking dash. Combine that with the ultra-realistic tracks and crowds (that even react to onscreen events) and its pretty crazy. You even see scratches on the windshield when in dashboard view. IMO, this game will be the #1 piece of "eye candy" for the XBOX360, and looks to be a spectacular racer. Pretty much everyone in the crowd was ooohing and ahhing at the site of it. Pretty amazing stuff.

Kameo
--
Rare put out a gem here and really utilized a ton of the XBOX 360's power. In the gameplay segment I saw, there were hundreds of giant dragons flying through the air as you played. It was incredible to see such massive amounts of creatures swarming through the air, something that can only be done with geometry instancing. While I was watching it, I pretty much thought "wow, the ingame graphics are better than prerendered movies in most games." This game looks like it will be a fantastic platformer and the sheer variety in gameplay that was displayed makes it look like a platformer to be reckoned with. Move over Mario, I think we have a new champ here.

Now, on the non-interactive demo reel I saw:
--
Perfect Dark Zero
Though it had some eye-popping effects, not an over-the-top graphical stunner like PGR3 or Kameo. That being said, it still looked amazing and much better than you'd think with some of the criticism of this title. Framerates looked very smooth. The latest trailer made the game look really fun by showcasing some of the things you can do in it. It appears that this will be more of a tactical, objective based game such as the original Perfect Dark. From what I saw, this game could probably make launch but if its pushed back until XMAS I would not be surprised. IMO this will be a must-buy for FPS fans, but as stated earlier its NOT a run-and-gun game like Halo. It is more of a tactical objective-based FPS.
--
Condemned: Criminal Origins
This now looks totally different than it did at E3 in a good way. Much more graphical detail. The build shown did not seemed fully optimized and suffered from slowdown. It looked like this will not make it until early 2006.
--
Call of Duty 2
Some impressive footage was shown, with incredible smoke effects. The key to this game will be how well devs implement the controller.
--
Final Fantasy XI
This game looked very out of place and "last gen" compared to the other titles with its simple polygonal characters. IMO this one is going to get lost in the shuffle.
--
Chrome Hounds
Looked cool. Not much else to say.
--
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
The footage shown was fantastic and head and shoulders above Morrowind. Truly incredible graphics with excellent combat was displayed. This will be a must buy.
--
Dead Rising
Only a brief clip of this was shown but its looking much improved over the E3 showing. From what I saw it looks like it could be a blast to play.
--
Gears of War
Looking impressive as usual running mostly at 60fps, a few instances of slowdown. This will be a real stunner when released.
--
King Kong
I basically saw King Kong start eating some guy. Not even sure WTF this game is about as the footage was brief. Graphics were pretty cool.
--
Dead or Alive 4
Fantastic graphics. More eye candy for XBOX360. The environments looked much more interactive than any prior DOA game, and the realism level appears to have been jacked up. Must buy for those who likes fighting games.
--
Quake 4
Looking excellent, though the build shown had some slowdown. I'm thinking this may be an XMAS release unless it was simply old footage that was shown. And, hey, its Quake, so it rules.
--
Test Drive Unlimited
This looked decent but Project Gotham Racing 3 stole the show and this game looked rather tame in comparison.
--
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland
From what I saw, it looked like an XBOX1 game. Disappointing, but then again Tony Hawk games have always been graphically disappointing.
--
Top Spin 2
Excellent graphics, looks like a solid continuation of the first. Still, even more could have been done graphically if more time was spent on it.
--
NBA 2K6
Amazingly realistic graphics, looked incredible in motion. A must-buy!

Overall I was very impressed by the XBOX 360 showing. I think most will be blown away come Nov 22! :D

P.S. -- ATI had an XBOX 360 running the new Ruby demo at their booth ;)

Ruined
10-16-05, 08:02 PM
edit: double post

H3avyM3tal
10-16-05, 08:50 PM
Then how do you explain the extreme popularity of Nintendo franchises like Mario and Zelda which are always considered killer app's when a new Nintendo console comes out?

Yeah, and look where Nintendo are. They are nowhere near as popular as Sony and MS. Nintendo were big in the past, where they chose to stay. Most of their gamers grew up.

evilchris
10-16-05, 09:06 PM
So go swallow a knife.

rofl, * adds this to list of replies to use *

|MaguS|
10-16-05, 09:28 PM
I got to play a version of Most Wanted for the x360 recently, its not bad at all. Looks pretty good and they fixed the horrible frame rate issue that it had at E3. They said they still had to implement AA in the game but running at 720p, it was barely noticable.

Banko
10-16-05, 09:43 PM
I got to play a version of Most Wanted for the x360 recently, its not bad at all. Looks pretty good and they fixed the horrible frame rate issue that it had at E3. They said they still had to implement AA in the game but running at 720p, it was barely noticable.
How is aa at 720p not noticable? That is 1280x720, and when I game I notice jaggies at 1280x1024!